Receiver / Amp with Trigger INPUT

logdar

Receiver / Amp with Trigger INPUT
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 03:05 am »
Does anyone know of an amp with a trigger INPUT and that can drive 2 pairs of speakers?

I want to get a Bluesound node and connect it to the amp.  The Node has a 12 volt trigger output.  So I'd like to hook that up to an amp or receiver or integrated amp, or even an AVR so that the Node can 'wake up' the amp.

Does such a beast even exist?

(I'd like to use SS Amp only)

Note: I'm talking about a trigger INPUT, not a Trigger output.  I've seen a few with a trigger out, but none with a trigger input.

srb

Re: Receiver / Amp with Trigger INPUT
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2016, 03:39 am »
Yes, there are some integrated amps with a 12V trigger input.

Are the speakers 8 ohms?  Will both pairs always be on, or do you need two sets of binding posts with A/B switch?  What's the budget?

Steve

logdar

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2016, 04:23 am »
Yes, there are some integrated amps with a 12V trigger input.

Are the speakers 8 ohms?  Will both pairs always be on, or do you need two sets of binding posts with A/B switch?  What's the budget?

Steve

Both pairs of speakers would be 8 ohms, and I would like to operate either pair or both.  Budget: I would prefer around $500 new or used.  It doesn't have to have a DAC since the Node has a DAC already.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2016, 05:21 am »
12V trigger inputs on integrated amps, when found, are usually on higher-end units with MSRPs 250% to 500% of your budget, like Audiolab 8300A (~ $1200) Anthem 225 ($1999) and Parasound Halo Integrated ($2495), and although all can drive 4 ohm loads, none of them have A/B speaker switching.

Your best bet is to probably find an amp with A/B switching that can handle 4 ohm loads (2 - 8 ohm speakers in parallel) and get an external device, either a 12V trigger actuated outlet like Xantech AC1 or some kind of auto-sensing power strip that senses current when the control component is turned on and then powers on other receptacles.

Steve
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm by srb »