Any Reasonably Affordable Tube Amps That Can Drive .7's Well, In Small Room?

Slapshot

As the title notes, I have .7's nearfield in my office/den which is comprised of a small 10x10 room. Currently. I'm extremely happy with the sound I am getting. I'm driving them with an excellent solid state integrated with lots of power, (200 Watts into 8 Ohms and 400 Watts into 4 Ohms) but which also has some warmth and liquidity to it. However, a different, associated situation in the very near future will almost certainly push me to move to need tubes, and more euphony, to effectively drive something else I will be adding. The only solution to that essentially needs to be tube based, and have 100wpc.

My budget limitations are about $2500.00 for a used power amplifier (or it could be a good tube integrated up to $3500.00).

Any recommendations, suggestions, collective wisdom and knowledge that could assist with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2020, 06:18 am by Slapshot »

Craig B

I know several people who've had excellent results driving Maggies with PrimaLuna products.

timind

• permanent vacation
I don't have any suggestions as I've never owned a tube amp with more than 35-40 watts. Question though, what do you mean by "need tubes?" Scratching my head over that one.

borism

I would look into if these are still for sale:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166593.0

Good luck!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Moscode 300

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Preowned Audio Research, Conrad Johnson Plinius, Classe, Parasound.

charles

mick wolfe

IMHO, 35-40 tube watts do fine with simple girl/guitar, acoustic jazz trio's, etc. at reasonable volume levels.  However, you run out of gas (and dynamics) in a hurry on large scale music, big band, rock, etc. My best tube "guess" would be perhaps the Rogue Cronos Magnum 2 or 3 rated at 100 wpc.  FWIW, I owned a Moscode 300 just mentioned by thunderbrick. It worked wonderfully on all genres with the Magnepan SMGa's I had years ago. It's a 150 watt hybrid that gives you a nice dose of tube flavor. Finding one fully restored in good working order might be a bit of a challenge though.

Wind Chaser

Whatever you do be sure to listen before you make your purchase or you may regret it. Too many people assume that tubes are inherently better than everything else. As with SS, there are good and great and not so good and great tube amps. Let your ears be your guide.

I.Greyhound Fan

I would look at Rogue Audio gear. Vincent Audio also makes some nice hybrid gear.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
A little bit above your budget but maybe there's some wiggle room?

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649200567-manley-snappers-w-new-tubes-and-updated-capacitors/images/979797/

or these:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9jf00-vtl-mb-125-tube

VTL is horrible to deal with, Manley is great SO there's that to consider.

I have VTL amps which is how I know what they're like. 
Send it in for much needed upgrades, no help available, send it in for much needed upgrades, we can't tell you anything, send it in for much needed upgrades...

RonN5

The rogue audio Cronus magnum 3 drove the .7s beautifully at the Florida audio expo.

Slapshot

I would look into if these are still for sale:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166593.0

Good luck!

Those would have been a potentially great match, but it appears I just missed out and they sold. Thanks anyway though. Appreciated.

Slapshot

I appreciate everyone's recommendations and thoughts greatly. It might help if I explain exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, though. While I need this power amplifier or integrated to effectively drive the .7's, as I indicated, they must also meet an additional need. I just ordered a pair of the ground breaking RAAL Requisite  SR1a Earfield's  after hearing them fairly extensively in a couple systems. They are a new type of sound reproducing device that sits on your head, like headphones, but it never touches your ears, and the ribbon speakers are set at varying distances off of your ears (1-1.5 inches). In essence, this is an extreme nearfield speaker setup. This amazing product has absolutely incredible speed, detail and clarity, very surprising bass, and brilliant soundstaging. I'm not sure you could equal those qualities in a speaker at 20 times the price. The trick is, they require an amplifier that would normally be used for speakers. I think they are capable of moving from amazing to absolutely magical if paired with the right amp. That would be one, which brings some warmth and midrange magic to the party, attributes generally only found in tube amps .

However, the numbers of tube amps that would fill the bill are greatly narrowed due to the fact that, to perform optimally, the RAAL's require 150wpc solid state, and 100wpc tubed. And there are no shortcuts. As one reviewer experienced, as also did my friend and I, even the excellent ARC Reference 75 tube amp (with a rock solid 75wpc) came up a bit short in our listening. As did a very respected solid state amp rated at 100wpc. These power numbers do not, I think vary much from what the .7's need, as  while I do listen to acoustic stuff, singer songwriters, etc. I also listen to large scale prog rock, and many other things.   

Wind Chaser

I just ordered a pair of the ground breaking RAAL Requisite  SR1a Earfield's  after hearing them fairly extensively in a couple systems.

...while I do listen to acoustic stuff, singer songwriters, etc. I also listen to large scale prog rock, and many other things.

Do you think the SR1a would be good as an all rounder or are they more suited to certain kinds of music rather than all kinds of music?

Personally I’m done with tubes and have crossed over to the dark side - Class D and I ain’t coming back. If my D amps fall short, Schiit has a direct drive solution for 799 that eliminates the need for ribbon interface impedance box... and despite its relatively low price, it is said to be “more resolving and nuanced than when driven with a number of (even much more expensive) speaker amps via the “Amp/Ribbon Interface”.

https://forum.headphones.com/t/schiit-jotunheim-r-direct-drive-raal-sr1a-amplifier-official-thread/4094

Slapshot

Do you think the SR1a would be good as an all rounder or are they more suited to certain kinds of music rather than all kinds of music?

Personally I’m done with tubes and have crossed over to the dark side - Class D and I ain’t coming back. If my D amps fall short, Schiit has a direct drive solution for 799 that eliminates the need for ribbon interface impedance box... and despite its relatively low price, it is said to be “more resolving and nuanced than when driven with a number of (even much more expensive) speaker amps via the “Amp/Ribbon Interface”.

https://forum.headphones.com/t/schiit-jotunheim-r-direct-drive-raal-sr1a-amplifier-official-thread/4094

In my two somewhat less than extended listening experiences, I would say they could accommodate any style of music very well. I am aware of the Schiit solution for the RAAL's, but the review I read made it sound as though it did little to balance the massive dynamics of the RAAL's. That was also backed up by a conversation with another reviewer who is currently listening to that combination. Thats why I think only a tube amp, of suitable power and character would meet my needs. I just read a very positive report of beautiful sound with the RAAL's drive my a McIntosh MC275, but thats significantly out of my price range.

Wind Chaser

I am aware of the Schiit solution for the RAAL's, but the review I read made it sound as though it did little to balance the massive dynamics of the RAAL's. That was also backed up by a conversation with another reviewer who is currently listening to that combination.

Do you have links to reference the above? I’m trying to decide if the RAAL is right for me and I’m quite sure mating it with the right amp makes all the difference, but I won’t go back to tubes, that would be too much of a compromise considering where I am at now.

nelsogex

I'm driving MMG's with a used Rogue Cronus Magnum II in a large room and it's a good match.  I found it on Seattle CL for $1,700.  If you are looking for a more "tubey" sound than Rogue look at Primaluna.  A tube preamp with a solid state amp will give you the flexibility to roll tubes to tune in the tube flavor and still have the solid state punch that the .7's need. 

Slapshot

Do you have links to reference the above? I’m trying to decide if the RAAL is right for me and I’m quite sure mating it with the right amp makes all the difference, but I won’t go back to tubes, that would be too much of a compromise considering where I am at now.

This is one of the places where I read about the SR1a's being used with the Schiit amp designed for them. You have to read through a bit to get to that point. This may work for you, I might have been a bit harsh when I talked about the Jotunheim pairing. I, and some others were simply hoping they would be able to incorporate more of the sound of the Aegir, which Herb Reichert found so outstanding in a recent Stereophile review.A sound with enough richness, depth and liquidity to ideall balance the SR1a's almost overwhelming dynamics and clarity.

Slapshot

The rogue audio Cronus magnum 3 drove the .7s beautifully at the Florida audio expo.

Thats truly interesting and especially, surprising. No disrespect to Rogue,a  company I admire for well made, quality products at more than fair prices.

dolsey01

Thats truly interesting and especially, surprising. No disrespect to Rogue,a  company I admire for well made, quality products at more than fair prices.

Rogue used to demo the original 55W Cronus Magnum with the 1.7s at audio shows. 

https://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Rogue-Audio-Margnepan-CES-2011.shtml