Curious: Beefy Receiver for HT3s?

theater_lover

Curious: Beefy Receiver for HT3s?
« on: 30 Apr 2018, 01:59 am »
I'm fairly sure that the answer is no, but is there (or has there ever been) a receiver with 5.1 or better decoding that can drive speakers such as the HT3s (and the rest of the surround speakers) to their full potential?  I don't mean a receiver that is better than a separate high end two channel amp... just one that actually performs well given the trade offs.

When I bought my HT3s I had an Onkyo TX-NR5008 (which still compares well power wise to the latest offerings).  At medium-high volumes it would turn off when driving the HT3s.  My solution was to add an Emotiva XPR-5, and that has worked well enough.

Thanks.

csmgolf

Re: Curious: Beefy Receiver for HT3s?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:34 am »
It is an older unit, but a Lexicon RV-8 may do the trick. It is reported to be one of their pre-pros combined with a CX-7 amplifier. I owned one for a while, and it is a very powerful unit.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2018, 10:55 am »
Best to have a big old transformer available for power swings with HT3's.

theater_lover

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2018, 06:53 pm »
The Lexicon could fit the bill.  Is there anything of newer design?

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2018, 08:00 pm »
I'd look at the top of the line receivers from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Integra, Onkyo, Anthem etc. They output ~140wpc 2 channels driven.

Will that give you enough power?

theater_lover

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2018, 08:17 pm »
Well, that is what I have with my Onkyo TX-NR5008, and no, not enough.  My guess is that it would need to be 300wpc at 4ohm to work well and likely some top end brand that I have less knowledge of.

I'd look at the top of the line receivers from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Integra, Onkyo, Anthem etc. They output ~140wpc 2 channels driven.

Will that give you enough power?

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:10 pm »
Then based upon a quick scan of the Lexicon RV-8 specs I did not see enough power for your needs, however if there is then you may be in luck as a Lexicon RV-9 on the drawing board....unless Samsung kills it.

https://www.lexicon.com/productdetail/~/product/rv-9.html

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:14 pm »
I would consider (as long as it fits your budget and you need 5.1) an integrated 2-channel amplifier with HT Bypass

http://audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:18 pm »
Having owned HT3’s for the past few years, I can say there is no receiver capable to drive them especially if used for home theater.  If you high passed them at around 80Hz, maybe.  Full range?  No way.  The efficiency is just too low at 84db.  I’ve been running mine with a very solid 200wrms, and could easily clip my amps with just 2-channel music.  I’m guessing 300wrms is the minimum to light them up; maybe more. 

Of course IMHO, and as always YMMV.  :D

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:27 pm »
Does your receiver have pre outs?

Time for an outboard amp for the L and R speakers.

theater_lover

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:37 pm »
Does your receiver have pre outs?

Time for an outboard amp for the L and R speakers.

That is how my setup is now.  I have an Emotiva XPR-5 feeding them.  Plenty of power.  I was thinking of upgrading my receiver and that sent me down this path of wondering what other options there may be.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2018, 05:34 am »
Hi,

I also have HT3's and use Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks.  They are rated at 300 watts per channel and occasionally the HT3's make the amps clip.

Have you considered high power digital amps for ht use?

Cheers Rod

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2018, 10:27 am »
Wow had no idea Salk built such power hungry speakers as I've never been a fan of inefficient speakers regardless of available power, personal tastes, or room size.

TJHUB

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2018, 10:48 am »
Wow had no idea Salk built such power hungry speakers as I've never been a fan of inefficient speakers regardless of available power, personal tastes, or room size.

Wow!  That's a great and helpful comment.  Thank you!  :roll:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2018, 11:00 am »
Most of the receivers nowadays are chip amps that protest any difficult loads by shutting down.  I use my old Pioneer as a pre/pro and power the speakers with separate power amps.

DFpritchard

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2018, 02:46 pm »
There's always the McIntosh MA7200.  Rated at 200 wpc at 2,4 or 8 ohms.  Company has a long history of conservative ratings for output so this may be adequate.  Not sure of price, other than it's high.

UCrazyKid

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2018, 03:44 pm »
A receiver maybe hard to come by that will meet those needs, an old B&K AVR maybe? How about an outboard Odyssey Khartago? http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2018, 03:45 pm »
Might not be enough but take a look at the Marantz SR8012 at 205 wpc x7

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr8012-11-2-channel-av-receiver-review.14338

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR8012

Cambridge Audio makes some high powered AVR's as does Anthem and NAD.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2018, 03:50 pm »
There's always the McIntosh MA7200.

If the OP was looking for a stereo receiver, but he's looking for 5.1 (or better) receiver.

I'm fairly sure that the answer is no, but is there (or has there ever been) a receiver with 5.1 or better decoding that can drive speakers such as the HT3s (and the rest of the surround speakers) to their full potential?

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2018, 03:54 pm »
Might not be enough but take a look at the Marantz SR8012 at 205 wpc x7

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr8012-11-2-channel-av-receiver-review.14338

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR8012

Cambridge Audio makes some high powered AVR's as does Anthem and NAD.

Seedy marketing from Marantz.  IMHO it's 140wpc for 2 channels. I wonder what the power output is when driving 5 or 7 channels.

From their datasheet:

8ohm, 1%, 1ch Drive 205 W
8ohm, 0.7%, 2ch Drive 175 W
8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2ch Drive 140 W