My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #340 on: 20 Jun 2017, 09:58 pm »
Jason.

Those subs are too small  :lol:

After you get them set up, measured, calibrated, I'm sure you'll be pleased, just like I was with the 18.3. The boxes for my 18.3 also are lined with wood.

What will shock you is not the low bass, but the midbass.

Have fun!

Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #341 on: 20 Jun 2017, 10:16 pm »
They make your room look small!

Shipping is rough... no matter the weight companies like UPS/Fedex/DHL pretty much refuse to insure anything without a cardboard outside.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #342 on: 20 Jun 2017, 11:42 pm »
They make your room look small!
The room isn't big at all. Not like the last one, that's for sure!  CD speakers are no bs and that's why I can do it. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #343 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:44 am »
Wall of Sound anyone?   :lol:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #344 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:40 am »
If you look carefully there is a simplicity in that setup that is beguiling  :bowdown:

Best,
Anand.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #345 on: 22 Jun 2017, 03:15 am »
If you look closer still, the deception in the appearance is that it trades one set of complexities for another. :duel:

Respect, for either path taken, and in this case a fine example of a path less traveled.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #346 on: 22 Jun 2017, 03:23 am »
If you look closer still, the deception in the appearance is that it trades one set of complexities for another. :duel:

Yawn. We'll agree to disagree then. It's the execution that counts. Subscribing to only ONE method as the end all be all is narrow minded and SO boring.

Kind of like a buffet line...I'll try everything. Prexisting biases and notions are not my cup of tea.

:kiss:

Best,
Anand.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #347 on: 22 Jun 2017, 03:33 am »
I'm sorry to have... agreed... with you then?   :scratch:

I'll say (again) that a tip of the hat is in order for the execution in this case.  :thumb:

(I had to look at Jason's "small" room size in his systems link because as I see this system progress it keeps intriguing me... no way I could pull something like this off in my space, but all my best to those that can!)

JohnR

« Reply #348 on: 22 Jun 2017, 04:49 pm »
Deception?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #349 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:20 pm »
Queue up some Phil Spector

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #350 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:41 pm »
Queue up some Phil Spector
He's a little busy now...

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #351 on: 22 Jun 2017, 11:43 pm »
Deception?

In this case, appearances, referring to Anand's admiration for the simplicity of this setup.  My thought was that where one school of thought gets to the end of the rainbow with a lot of physical gear (outwardly presenting a measure of complexity), this school of thought packs a lot of that under the hood of a single physical box with a lot of computer programming know-how behind it.  Both solutions in a really high-end scenario are far from simple, the maybe more old school way of doing things just wears its complexity on its sleeve.

I might compare this setup to a really good job done by a custom installer/integrator; the end user sees (comparatively) few boxes in the room, can easily mash the 'play' button, and amazing sound comes out.  That simplicity is where Anand and I (I believe) agree and is something to be proud of.  What isn't seen is all the work that went into making that happen, which I respect just as much as the person who painstakingly scrutinizes every single fuse, capacitor, wire, etc. in a system to achieve a 'synergy' that this system makes happen in other ways.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #352 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:51 pm »
In this case, appearances, referring to Anand's admiration for the simplicity of this setup.  My thought was that where one school of thought gets to the end of the rainbow with a lot of physical gear (outwardly presenting a measure of complexity), this school of thought packs a lot of that under the hood of a single physical box with a lot of computer programming know-how behind it.  Both solutions in a really high-end scenario are far from simple, the maybe more old school way of doing things just wears its complexity on its sleeve.

I might compare this setup to a really good job done by a custom installer/integrator; the end user sees (comparatively) few boxes in the room, can easily mash the 'play' button, and amazing sound comes out.  That simplicity is where Anand and I (I believe) agree and is something to be proud of.  What isn't seen is all the work that went into making that happen, which I respect just as much as the person who painstakingly scrutinizes every single fuse, capacitor, wire, etc. in a system to achieve a 'synergy' that this system makes happen in other ways.
Actually the main part of the system is very simple as even I did do it.  The chain is Mytek Brooklyn > Crown DCi 4/1250 > JBL M2.  That's all there is.  The computer with Roon and the NAS is all separate stuff as it doesn't require that.  Although I do feel like a part time IT guy with all the stuff going I actually somewhat enjoy it and have learned a TON about it all.  There's pretty much nothing I can't do with my NAS or network at this point but again it's not required for great sound. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #353 on: 23 Jun 2017, 01:24 pm »
I'll also add that the Eero Routers make it so darn simple.  All from my iPhone or iPad.

richidoo

« Reply #354 on: 23 Jun 2017, 04:10 pm »
https://eero.com/

That's cool.

Why are subs on the LAN?   EQ/management? 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #355 on: 23 Jun 2017, 05:29 pm »
https://eero.com/

That's cool.

Why are subs on the LAN?   EQ/management?

The ALLDSP program that is in the plate amps of these subs have Ethernet/RJ45 access in addition to USB access.

https://www.alldsp.com/php/get_file.php?src=software_public&f=Software%20Introduction.mp4

https://www.alldsp.com/software.html

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #356 on: 23 Jun 2017, 07:05 pm »
Very cool!!  Thanks for the link.

That 4 ch plate amp with built in DSP would make a nice BIG active speaker.

Which of their plate amps is used in the Funk subwoofers? I didn't see a single amp version, so is it the 2ch version to power dual voice coils?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #357 on: 23 Jun 2017, 07:16 pm »
Very cool!!  Thanks for the link.

That 4 ch plate amp with built in DSP would make a nice BIG active speaker.

Which of their plate amps is used in the Funk subwoofers? I didn't see a single amp version, so is it the 2ch version to power dual voice coils?

The plate amp I believe is sourced from Pascal. Then Funk puts the Pascal and ALLDSP together - I'm guessing. On Funk's 18.0 subwoofer reviewed by Ricci, he states that the plate amp is from Pascal, start reading at "Design Overview" - http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/funk-audio-fw18.0-subwoofer

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #358 on: 23 Jun 2017, 07:56 pm »
Thanks, nice review. Doesn't look like a separate daughterboard for the ALLDSP functions, looks like single PCB for everything in the amp with large SMD section. Probably an OEM version made by ALLDSP for Pascal. Not much like that available to DIYers. The review says the amp is $1300 option. Not bad.

richidoo

« Reply #359 on: 23 Jun 2017, 08:02 pm »
Is Funk a radially magnetized neo motor like (Aura) or traditional steel shunt gap?

Edit: Looks radial.  :thumb: