tinnitus sufferers out there??

Minn Mark

tinnitus sufferers out there??
« on: 26 Jul 2011, 04:41 pm »
For the last month I have been suffering as a result of an acute onset of hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing)  in my right ear. A devasating change for an audiophile like myself. Fortunately, I work at a large MN-based medical center, but treatment and 'cure' seem limited. Am interested in getting a perspective or encourgament from other audiophiles who suffer hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

craig223

Re: tinnitus sufferers out there??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:11 pm »
Curious.  About a year ago, I also started having a ringing in my right ear.  After seeing the usual round of docs, there seemed to be little that could be done.  The ENT thinks that it was exposure to loud lawn equipment.  The family doc thinks it is swimmer's ear. 

My theory: cell phone use.  Always used my right ear.  The doctor's theories don't explain only the right ear with the problems.  I have a good friend who is dying from soft tissue sarcoma that started in his thigh near where he always kept his cell phone.  Let me know if you are able to uncover anything.

I am now very careful about using ear plugs around any equipment and always use swimmer's ear drops. 

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:17 pm »
There was an informative thread at audio asylum a week ago in the general asylum. Do a search there.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:25 pm »
Last year I read this book and implemented some of the ear retraining techniques.  It hasn't cured or eliminated my tinnitus, but it has minimized my awareness of it on a day in day out basis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521088372

An example of the suggested ear retraining is I have a radio at my desk at work that I tune to give me "white noise".  I keep it on all the time and set the level to where it mixes with the ringing in my ears but doesn't steal my attention from everything that's going on.  Over time this has helped to desensitize my perception of the ringing. 

The other thing I do is use musicians earplugs whenever I know I'll be exposed to higher than normal noise levels (concerts, car races, power tools, vacuums, etc.) to avoid unnecessarily aggravating my tinnitus.  These etymotic plugs are inexpensive and effective at lowering but not completely blocking noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEETC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311703912&sr=8-2

Russ

mhconley

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:27 pm »
I have had tinnitus for many years; my father does also.  Sometimes it is comparatively quiet, other times quite noticeable and somewhat bothersome.  The sound is a high pitch squeal right around 14kHz.

I also have hearing loss in my right ear due to a "friend" firing a .457 magnum about 6 inches from my right ear when I was 19.  I always use my left ear for telephone calls as I cannot always understand what people are saying in my right.

There is nothing that can be done for tinnitus.  I have tried all the supposed cures to no avail.

My tinnitus does not diminish my enjoyment of music or a good, high quality stereo.  I can hear well enough to hear the subtle difference between components, the difference between an accoustically treated and untreated room, and between good and poor recordings.

Martin

nullspace

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2011, 07:23 pm »
The other thing I do is use musicians earplugs whenever I know I'll be exposed to higher than normal noise levels (concerts, car races, power tools, vacuums, etc.) to avoid unnecessarily aggravating my tinnitus.  These etymotic plugs are inexpensive and effective at lowering but not completely blocking noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEETC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311703912&sr=8-2

Russ

I use those same earplugs for the same reasons as Russ, and they work exceedingly well. Won't go to a live event without them.

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm »
I developed tinnitus about three years ago. The severity changes day to day and season to season. For whatever reason, rapid fluctuations in atmospheric pressure ahead of weather systems seems to cause the noise level to rise. I just do my best not to focus on it and have learned to "listen through it" when it is acting up. Getting old's a bitch. :bawl:

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:40 pm »
Imagine going to the hospital, and first night back home, you think your TV is broken, because you can no longer hear the horizontal sweep.

That, and tinnitus..........not bueno, if you make your living designing and selling audio gear.

Anyway, another manufacturer claims manganese supplements help. Takes 2-3 months, before it makes a difference. Haven't tried it, yet.

Pat