Bikes and Lightning?

werd

Bikes and Lightning?
« on: 4 Jul 2011, 06:48 pm »
Just curious if the same type of protection is offered riding a bike that you get from being in your car ? Is  there enough rubber on the bike tires? Will a lightning hit kill you on a bike?  :icon_lol: I was out last nite riding around in the lightning and was thinking about this.

JoshK

Re: Bikes and Lightning?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2011, 06:52 pm »
I doubt it.  The key is having enough rubber between you and the ground to avoid corona effect.  Voltage above a certain voltage can jump.   Tube amp builder who work with higher voltage designs, such as 845 amps with 1000V B+ need to be aware of the fact that the voltage can jump up to a 1/2" or so, above many thousands of volts it can jump more. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2011, 07:04 pm »
The wet tire rubber in a car has no effect if protecting you from million volt lightning, but the metal can that you are setting in does.  You have no such shielding on a bike.  Think about it, air is a better insulator than rubber, and the lightning just ionized the air to create a conduit to earth.  Even a class room Van der Graff generator can spark the distance from the tire rim to the earth, and we are talking about voltages 100-1000 times less than a lightning bolt.  Wrap your mind around figures like 30 000 amps and 1 trillion watts. 
If you are riding a bike and get hit... :angel:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2011, 07:16 pm »
Will a lightning hit kill you on a bike?

It most likely depends on how lucky one is.  :thumb:

Lightning is something like one trillion watts. That's one hell of a hot light bulb.  :o

It's unlikely that bicycle tires could overcome lightning making it to ground. However, the bike frame *might* disperse the electricity away from one's body so much that they aren't actually the primary contact to ground.

All that means is that a lightning strike while biking may not kill someone.

One still got hit by a trillion watts. Then crashed their bike. Unlucky day, for sure. :lol:

Be careful,

Jerry

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2011, 08:14 pm »
If the current goes from the air to the bike to the ground, you might get lucky.  I wouldn't count on it.  My advice (probably mirroring your mother's from years ago) is head for shelter in a lightning storm.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm »
I am sure it will protect you from an in-direct hit thats traveling along the ground.

Douger

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2011, 11:03 pm »
There have been 2 bicyclists killed in Omaha by lightning strikes,within the last 10 years that I am aware of. Better safe than sorry...