Viggen's Bike Gear and Progress

viggen

Re: Viggen's Bike Gear and Progress
« Reply #60 on: 5 Jul 2011, 09:04 pm »
Update time:

Received the new stem and post some time last week and got them installed immediately.  Went on a few rides and a few roller sessions since then and tuned my fitting after each ride.  I think I got it close. 

Here's a video of me on my bike with da new components. 

http://vimeo.com/26026846

Here's a video of me after a 10 mile roller session.  I think I found my left leg's stroke during the roller session, so I recorded another short video just to see whether there is a before and after difference.  I intended to spin up to 120rpm which is usually the upper range of where I train at.  I started pedaling hard around 50 seconds into the video, and, 10 seconds later, I got up to 152rpm.  I think I like my new components and form.  My previous high was 140rpm.  I think I could have went even faster if I tried, but I was satisfied.

http://vimeo.com/26027023

Cadence on Garmin:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97093459

viggen

« Reply #61 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:56 am »

viggen

« Reply #62 on: 31 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm »
Got my next project lined up.

Getting ready to build the frame up.  Please see information about the build up at this link:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/756358-Olmo-Superlight-Bike-Build-Seeking-Suggestions-Support?p=13014479#post13014479

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm »
Hey, cool bike. You are becoming quite a collector of nice bikes.  I don't know what size bars you need but I have a great set of Deda bars from ladydog that he is selling. They are in perfect shape and He is selling them for a great price. They are 44 cm bars and I have a picture around here somewhere. He also has some really nice bike gear he is sellling, including Zipp cranks and Rotor crankset (other stuff but I can't remember). Cool classic stuff that is Shimano compatible and I think would look good on that frame.  I dint know what he has left but it's all pro quality. I had my eye on an Easton ec90 carbon seatpost but it was zero setback and I need setback.

Good luck and please post pictures. I've never ridden a retro frame with modern components. It reminds me of cars like the new camaro or challenger, classic styling with modern drivetrain.

Cheers
J

LadyDog

« Reply #64 on: 1 Aug 2011, 12:01 am »
Beautiful bike.  My first real road/race bike was an Olmo.  With Galli components.  Have to be pretty old school to remember that name.

My personal opinon, needs to be built up with old school parts.  Dura Ace 7400, C-Record, etc.  Or at least with aluminum parts. 

Imaine the spacing in 126?  Is so, unless you are going to have the rear reset it might limit you on what to look for parts wise.

As Jack mentions, I have a couple of cranks that would look pretty sweet on it.  Not sure if you ride 175's though?  PM me if interested.

Enjoy the build and I'll look forward to pictures of it completed.

jackman

« Reply #65 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:01 am »
Thanks Jeff, I hope you didn't mind me mentioning the stuff you have for sale, but I didn't want Viggen gear that would not work properly on his bike.

LadyDog

« Reply #66 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:28 am »
No problem Jack.  Appreciate the plug.  Needing to clean some house with some of the stuff I have collected over the years.

viggen

« Reply #67 on: 1 Aug 2011, 04:56 am »
Hey guys, thanks for the heads up about what's available 2nd hand.  If you click the link in my previous post, you'd see I have a shopping list of things I am looking for to build up the bike.  Of course, I am open to suggestions.

The bike looks old because of the vintage style paint job, but it's actually a pretty modern steel frame bike.  I think the frame is about a 1990s vintage.  It's Columbus Genius tubing with 130mm rear spacing.  So, it's ready for modern components.

I am going to fit it with a Deda quill stem adapter, so I can use modern handlebars.  So, yes, I am in a market for a Deda 44mm handlebar. 

I was told looked like this before the paint job:

I test road an Olmo Nuovo Sprint with Galli components earlier this year.  That bike got me bitten by the metal frame bug.  Since then, I've sold my carbon fiber bike because I found myself enjoy riding that Olmo much more so than riding the carbon fiber bikes.  I'd liken the difference in ride quality between that of an Acura RSX and an Alfa Romeo Spider's.

jackman

« Reply #68 on: 1 Aug 2011, 10:38 pm »
Interesting.  I like that frame in silver and I like it in black.  Not sure about how it would look with the DA 6900 cranks.  I'm not a fan of those cranks on vintage bikes.  They are great cranks, but I think traditional style looks would be a better match for the aesthetics of that bike.  I'd love to have a traditional style steel bike someday, with Campy (possibly).  It just looks classic, like a cool old car. 

I forgot to ask, which bike did you sell?  I know you aren't a fan of CF but if I was bigger, I'd think about that 58" Cyfac Jeff has for sale.  Those Cyfac bikes seem to capture the old school vibe with high tech frames.  Some even have an interesting art deco look that I really like.  Wish I was a little taller!

viggen

« Reply #69 on: 2 Aug 2011, 04:53 am »
Jack:

Aesthetics wise, I am on the same boat as you.  Maybe a recent vintage Record would look better than Shimano parts.  The 7900 might look too high tech on the Olmo.  But, I've not seen it in person.  I've read they look much better in person. 

I've got 7800 on my Toyota United Fuji and was thinking of transplanting the components over to the Olmo.  The 7800's silver finish probably wouldn't look half bad on the Olmo.  However, I really want to use a compact crank for the hills.  And, choosing 7900 over the 6700 for the weight.

The 7900 shifter doesn't look like it matches the Olmo frame at all.  And, it's steep price wise.  So, I got a set of 6700 shifters on the way.  It's got silver hood with black handles.  I think it will be a good match with the Olmo.

I sold the Fuji Team a few months ago.  It's a very nice bike but the frame is not nearly as agile as the Toyota United's Scandium frame. 

Cyfac looks like a work of art.  There are some CF bikes I really like such as:

viggen

« Reply #70 on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:20 am »
I already purchased a 6700 shifter pair.  I am now leaning towards 5700s for RD and FD.  Looking into some other cranks now.

viggen

« Reply #71 on: 7 Aug 2011, 02:07 am »
Like I said, I already purchased and received the Ultegra 6700 shifter.  I find the shifter to be too big for my hands.  I have rather small hands for my height or rather for any height.  Now, I am leaning towards a new or fairly new Campy Chorus group.  But, this means I will have to buy a Campy compatible wheelset.  Atleast, I am not aware I can convert my Ultegra wheel to work with Campy drivetrain.  Probably dont want to do that even if I could.

viggen

« Reply #72 on: 28 Aug 2011, 01:35 am »
It's getting close...

viggen

« Reply #73 on: 11 Sep 2011, 09:38 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm by viggen »

jackman

« Reply #74 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm »
Beauty!  Now do something about that cross chain!

viggen

« Reply #75 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm »
Thanks!

Re: cross chain.  You mean do something about it in the pic or when I am riding?  I was checking chain line right before I took the pic.

I wasn't experiencing any noise or vibration when pedaling with cross chain, big front and rear.  There was a bit the other way around.

Meicheng

« Reply #76 on: 11 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm »
Cross chain refers to being in the big ring on the both the front and rear, which results in a bad chain angle.  However it looks like you might not be in the lowest gear in the back.   

jackman

« Reply #77 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:10 am »
He is in both big rings and I was just kidding. I cross chain all the time. It just wears out your chain faster.  I ride in the big ring all the time. Plus it looks better in pictures when the chain is on the big ring.

Great looking bike. Ive been bad about my riding. In new jersey all week so I'll try to hit the stationary bike. No fun!

LadyDog

« Reply #78 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:00 am »
Very nice build.  Nice combo of old school and modern.   

See you went with Campy.  How do you like it?

tvad4

« Reply #79 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:30 am »
Viggen, I've been following your thread for months.

Regarding brake lever reach, you will not find Campy easier to reach than Shimano. In fact, the opposite may likely be true (although much depends on the shape and dimensions of your bars, and on the positioning of the brake levers on the bars). For an easier reach, and for adjustable brake levers that can accommodate smaller hands, I suggest SRAM. In addition, SRAM components are generally compatible with Shimano. For example, many SRAM owners use Shimano cassettes and chains because they find the Shimano cassettes and chains run quieter than the SRAM counterparts.

Campangnolo is not compatible with either Shimano or SRAM.

The best suggestion I can offer is to stop throwing darts at frames and parts. You've spent way too much time assembling nice, but ill fitting bikes. You'll save money and time by paying for a professional fitting and seeking the advice of a local, experienced dealer or builder of bikes.