Lasik eye surgery anyone?

Nordkapp

Lasik eye surgery anyone?
« on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:51 pm »
I am on the verge of dropping 5 large on corrective laser eye surgery and am interested to hear from anyone who may have had it performed. Experience, impressions, final thoughts.......

Syrah

Re: Lasik eye surgery anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:04 pm »
I had it done 9 years ago.

The procedure itself is extremely uncomfortable.  One word - Zanax.

For me, the recovery was not much fun either.  My eyes were extremely dry and uncomfortable for longer than the typical case.  So, about 10 minutes of torture, 3-5 days of pain, 4 months of discomfort.

Now the good news.  9 years of perfect vision, no issues with sports, glasses fogging, etc.  I look better and it has been perfect.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:08 pm »
It works well in low myopia degrees.
Like everything in surgery the final result depends on the knowledge and skill of the doc.
My uncle is an ophthalmologist and warned me that in old age a retina that suffered Laser cuts becomes more sensitive, weak and more likely to contract fungus, infections and even cataracts.

But if you plan die early no problem. :wink:

Nordkapp

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:29 pm »
Seeing my Dr. tomorrow. I don't mind some temporary pain/discomfort. After suffering a shattered shoulder,  pain is a non-issue. I've been wearing glasses & contacts for over 32 years.

coke

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2016, 05:08 pm »
Best money I ever spent.  Wore contacts for around 20 years and without them I couldn't see past arms length.  Now I have better than 20/20 and don't have to put anything in my eyes anymore.  I have no discomfort or any other issues.  Basically I forget I had it done until a conversation about vision comes up.  The procedure was only a few minutes long and there was some discomfort but nothing I would consider painful. 

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2016, 05:10 pm »
I have two co-workers that had it done, and it was a "horror show" for both of them.  I would not get it done myself.

If you do get it done, have them explain EVERYTHING that you need to do when lying on the table BEFORE you let them do ANYTHING!

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2016, 05:22 pm »
Nordkapp,

I am not sure what procedure you are considering. I looked into it but did not get the surgery.  I was not going to end up with what I call "stereo" vision.  One eye was going to be for distance and the other for closeup/reading.

The ophthalmologist fitted me with contact lenses as a trial because some people cannot function that way.  I could not.  Drove me crazy. It was horrible.  I could not even read 10pt type used at work.   

Please note that was at least 15 years ago.  Medical procedures may have changed by now.  Be sure what you are getting into.

I do need to add that, all these years later,  I can still read very small print without my glasses.  With the demo contact lenses I could not read anything without great effort and an eventual headache.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Nordkapp

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:05 pm »
Thank you all for the input. My vision is pretty lousy. -6.75 right eye and -5.75 left. I was told several years ago by my Dr I could do it but may then require reading glasses-which to me at this point in my life am willing to tolerate. I will certainly ask a lot of questions. If the success % doesn't sound good I am out.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:30 pm »
I had lasik about 12 years ago.

Like Syrah, I found the procedure uncomfortable and anxiety producing (wish I had taken something before hand).  I also had a some challenges with one eye being dry for an extended period and needing drops.

All that said, it worked and I didn't have to wear glasses for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately, my eyes have gotten worse and now I am wearing glasses all of the time. 

If I could do lasik again to correct my current situation...I WOULD.

As with any procedure, YOU MUST know what you are getting into and feel 100% comfortable with your doctor.  If you don't, DO NOT go through with the procedure.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

George

Nordkapp

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:41 pm »
I had lasik about 12 years ago.

Like Syrah, I found the procedure uncomfortable and anxiety producing (wish I had taken something before hand).  I also had a some challenges with one eye being dry for an extended period and needing drops.

All that said, it worked and I didn't have to wear glasses for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately, my eyes have gotten worse and now I am wearing glasses all of the time. 

If I could do lasik again to correct my current situation...I WOULD.

As with any procedure, YOU MUST know what you are getting into and feel 100% comfortable with your doctor.  If you don't, DO NOT go through with the procedure.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

George
Thank you George. On Web MD now. Starting to reconsider.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:52 pm »
My wife had it done years ago. Before the lasik her eyesight was extremely poor; she wore either contacts or glasses all the time.
Her surgery was textbook smooth with zero complications. She thinks it was well worth the expense. As she ages though, she finds a need to wear cheaters to read.

rpf

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:52 pm »
Nordkapp,

I am not sure what procedure you are considering. I looked into it but did not get the surgery.  I was not going to end up with what I call "stereo" vision.  One eye was going to be for distance and the other for closeup/reading.

The ophthalmologist fitted me with contact lenses as a trial because some people cannot function that way.  I could not.  Drove me crazy. It was horrible.  I could not even read 10pt type used at work.   

Please note that was at least 15 years ago.  Medical procedures may have changed by now.  Be sure what you are getting into.

I do need to add that, all these years later,  I can still read very small print without my glasses.  With the demo contact lenses I could not read anything without great effort and an eventual headache.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Doing one eye for distance and the other for reading is a ridiculous idea. If you have pronounced myopia for which Lasik is an advantage, then you just use reading glasses. Which is what I did a long time ago (can't even remember when I had it done - 20 years?).

I had no difficulty with the surgery aside from some temporary pain/discomfort. I had worn glasses full time for several decades previously and had almost daily sinus headaches from their weight (I had extreme astigmatism and even the lightweight plastics didn't help enough). So for me it was a success.

I know a couple of people who had it done who had minor but annoying complications (starbursts at night, etc.). The procedure is more advanced now, with much less retina removed than a decade ago. Above all, make sure you consult with a highly experienced and capable ophthalmologist. It may be that you're not even a candidate for it - or conversely that your prognosis with it is excellent.

Nordkapp

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:05 pm »
My wife had it done years ago. Before the lasik her eyesight was extremely poor; she wore either contacts or glasses all the time.
Her surgery was textbook smooth with zero complications. She thinks it was well worth the expense. As she ages though, she finds a need to wear cheaters to read.
ah finally something good. According to the Internet (sounds comical, I know),  success rates are high, with minor inconveniences afterwards. I do have a high level of faith in this guy.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:26 pm »
I had it like 10 years ago.  No discomfort during the procedure.  Dry eyes for a couple of months but no pain.  I drove to work the next day.  I was about your case -- 5.75 and 5.5 and wore contacts for 25 years prior.  Had slight astigmatism but not severe enough to need hard or gas perm lenses.  I was on extended wear soft lenses until the surgery.  I love waking up and not having to fiddle with glasses and I can still see my drives 250 yards down the fairway.  Been great 10 years and it's the best 5k I spent in my life.  I am beginning to need reading glasses (power 1.0 non prescription) but that's what happens at my age. 

There is always a chance of mishap on any surgery.  I think the risk is low and the reward is very high with your non-corrected vision being where it is.  Consider everything and definitely educate yourself with the procedures.  Check out doctors and facilities.   Choose a good one and do it.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thank you all for the input. My vision is pretty lousy. -6.75 right eye and -5.75 left. I was told several years ago by my Dr I could do it but may then require reading glasses-which to me at this point in my life am willing to tolerate. I will certainly ask a lot of questions. If the success % doesn't sound good I am out.
The glasses are to near field sight due your age, what is usual to all people around 40-45yo, some even 35yo.

JonnyFive

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:40 pm »
I elected PRK, since that flap from Lasik can re-open during contact sports (I do Jiu-jitsu, albeit not well).  My vision is perfect, but I have serious dryness.  I use drops probably every hour, and that was after having my two bottom tear ducts plugged.  Would I do it over if I had it to do again? Yes, since I needed to wear contacts for sports and they drove me crazy. 

Nordkapp

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:42 pm »
I had it like 10 years ago.  No discomfort during the procedure.  Dry eyes for a couple of months but no pain.  I drove to work the next day.  I was about your case -- 5.75 and 5.5 and wore contacts for 25 years prior.  Had slight astigmatism but not severe enough to need hard or gas perm lenses.  I was on extended wear soft lenses until the surgery.  I love waking up and not having to fiddle with glasses and I can still see my drives 250 yards down the fairway.  Been great 10 years and it's the best 5k I spent in my life.  I am beginning to need reading glasses (power 1.0 non prescription) but that's what happens at my age. 

There is always a chance of mishap on any surgery.  I think the risk is low and the reward is very high with your non-corrected vision being where it is.  Consider everything and definitely educate yourself with the procedures.  Check out doctors and facilities.   Choose a good one and do it.  :thumb:
Awesome! Thanks.

Philistine

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:33 pm »
I had mine done in Harley St in London, 18 years ago before it was FDA approved. -4.25 and -4.5 with astigmatism, finished up with 20/15 vision and haven't looked back.  I did a lot of research before hand on the laser, I believe it was a ViSX laser, but now the lasers are better as the technology and software has improved.

I must have got lucky: painless, anxiety free and minimal discomfort - the most pain was paying but, over the years, the savings in glasses and contacts have paid for the treatment multiple times.  Going to the dentist is far worse!  For me the key was the research on the best laser technology, the clinics that have them and the best doctor, I spent over a year researching this before taking the plunge as you need to trust your precious vision to the best option you can find.

I wouldn't hesitate to repeat it again - it improves your life: swimming, sports, general vision and I can see what time it is when I wake in the middle of the night...Good luck.

orientalexpress

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:44 pm »
i have mine done 16 years ago.went in friday afternoon for surgery and 3o minute later on my way home and next day back to work.i have  the halo affect for 3 months,best money i ever spend.go for it  :thumb: :thumb:

Nordkapp

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:46 pm »
Thanks all of the above. Short of me having some weird problem, I am likely to do it. I'll post back if it does happen.