Four quesitons about day hiking essentials

WGH

Re: Four quesitons about day hiking essentials
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:44 am »
While in Denver for RMAF a week ago, my brother, his wife and I went to The Buckhorn Exchange for dinner. Of course we had to have the Rattlesnake appetizer, smoked rattlesnake atop a chipotle cream cheese dip with fresh tortilla chips, and those suckers are tasty. I mentioned to our waitress that I live in Arizona and we don't have to go out for rattlesnake, they come to us.

JEaton

Re: Four quesitons about day hiking essentials
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2014, 01:03 am »
What knife do you carry?

What brand of duct tape do you bring with you?

What survival whistle do you bring with you?

Which paracord do you bring with you?

The reason I ask is I was day hiking recently and thought I probably should have these in my back pack just in case.

1. A small folding knife with maybe a 3" blade. In 40 years of hiking I don't think I've ever used it for anything other than cutting salami and cheese for lunch.

2. I've never carried duct tape, but what brand?

3. Never carried a whistle. I don't think I own one.

4. I've never carried paracord. Isn't there pretty much just one kind?

I think probably the most important item I carry is a lightweight headlamp, as I often get caught out after dark. If I'll be out for a long day, I'll make sure I carry my MSR water filter in addition one or two liters of water. On a day that I anticipate will be hot, I'll freeze one or two 1 liter bottles half full with ice and top them off before leaving.