Open baffle servo sub question

WallyWest

Open baffle servo sub question
« on: 9 Aug 2008, 05:59 pm »
I really like the idea of the sub as described on the main website.  Primarily because it looks like a fantastic bang for your buck, and it's pretty darn compact for a dual 12" sub. 

But I'm wondering about the performance.  With standard subs, and even infinite baffle setups, separating the front and rear wave is critical.  So why can we totally ignore that rule with an open baffle sub?  I'm showing my ignorance of the design here I'm sure, but won't the front and rear waves interfere with each other and produce some seriously muddy sound? 

Has anyone built one yet?  Or can you just tell me how I'm completely wrong (as I assume I am, lol)?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Open baffle servo sub question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2008, 06:10 am »
I know a couple of people, including myself  :green:, have built it in the "w" frame (-check this Gr-research board for Werticus' build). which is said to help reinforce the bass over simple baffle mounting. Not getting resonance on the W frame that Danny recommends for 2 or 3 of them. But evem then there is a curve where the lower bass is getting canceled out and the upper bass gets a boost... which is equilized by  a shelving filter already by Brian Ding right on the servo amplifier when you order it. So you don't have to worry about that too much. Just keep in mind that the cost is output, there isn't the same kind of output you get with a boxed subwoofer -that's why they designed them to run in pairs, or trip's...

Sounds really good too!

Tony

WallyWest

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2008, 05:31 pm »
Thanks, after some more thorough searching I found your thread and a few others.

I read that you replaced a SVS cylinder sub with the open baffle.  That's exactly what I would be doing, I have a CS-Ultra.  My room is fairly small, and the Ultra is overkill.  I can hit well beyond reference levels and I've never even come close to clipping the amp or bottoming out the sub. 

I know the OB sub won't have as much punch, but I don't think in my room it will really make a difference.  If so I'll just build two of them. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2008, 04:57 pm »
With standard subs, and even infinite baffle setups, separating the front and rear wave is critical.  So why can we totally ignore that rule with an open baffle sub?

What it does is it cancels the output at 90 degrees off axis.

I'm showing my ignorance of the design here I'm sure, but won't the front and rear waves interfere with each other and produce some seriously muddy sound? 

It doesn't make it muddy at all. It makes it cleaner. It does away with most room modes and takes away the typical boomy sound that you can get as you load the room.

It hits hard but doesn't load the room. Think of it more as pushing pressure from one side of the room to the other.

You can still get a lot of output from them too.

WallyWest

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2008, 08:52 pm »
What it does is it cancels the output at 90 degrees off axis.

Ok, that makes sense. 

It doesn't make it muddy at all. It makes it cleaner. It does away with most room modes and takes away the typical boomy sound that you can get as you load the room.

It hits hard but doesn't load the room. Think of it more as pushing pressure from one side of the room to the other.

Interesting, now I want one even more. 

Thanks for info.  I'm going to put my SVS up for sale and start building the box for the OB. 

markC

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2008, 02:00 am »

[/quote]

Interesting, now I want one even more. 

Thanks for info.  I'm going to put my SVS up for sale and start building the box for the OB. 
[/quote]

OB means that you don't have to build a box; just a baffle. :wink:

dweekie

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2008, 07:28 am »
Thanks, after some more thorough searching I found your thread and a few others.

I read that you replaced a SVS cylinder sub with the open baffle.  That's exactly what I would be doing, I have a CS-Ultra.  My room is fairly small, and the Ultra is overkill.  I can hit well beyond reference levels and I've never even come close to clipping the amp or bottoming out the sub. 

I know the OB sub won't have as much punch, but I don't think in my room it will really make a difference.  If so I'll just build two of them. 

I don't have the GR-Research subs, but I have some other open baffle sub.  I also own a pair of SVS CS-Ultra cylinders for HT use.  I think once you hear a proper OB subwoofer, you'll be amazed at the quality of bass you hear.  They make the CS-Ultras sound like one note boomers, which is pretty impressive considering how good the Ultras are relative to many other subwoofers of its time.  Danny's woofers interest me quite a bit at the moment.....

WallyWest

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm »
Thanks dweekie, that's what I'm expecting from the OB sub but it's good to hear confirmation.  I like the SVS strictly for home theater duty.  But I've never been happy with it for music.