GR-Research O-3 Cabinets Nearing Completion

texasphile

GR-Research O-3 Cabinets Nearing Completion
« on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:01 pm »
Hello All,

I meant to put these pictures up on the AudioCircle earlier in the month, but work has been keeping me very busy.  The veneer is Mappa Burl and has been professionally applied by someone other than myself, since I am rather useless with "Ye Olde Hand Tools."  It should be ready to go soon and will be used in an audio demonstration that I am hosting at my work. 

I am the Media Librarian at a fairly small State University in Texas.  During a meeting in the Library about three weeks ago, I brought out my 18wpc Ming Da integrated tube (valve) amplifier and hooked it up to a Funk Firm turntable (the University's, not mine) with a Goldring 1022 cartridge.  As soon as the music began, I had about 15 people stop mingling and instead came over to ask me, "What is making that great sound?"  It's kind of funny that the source was a 58 year old record which sounded nearly pristine (we have over 5000 vinyl LPs and hundreds of 78s, including some so rare that they do not show up in the WorldCat [World Catalog] system).  WorldCat is a clearinghouse of "who has what" in academic institutions.  So, that is what is spurring me on to provide a demonstration of Cassettes, Vinyl Records, 78s, CDs, Reel to Reel, DVD-Audio, and SACD.

I hope that you enjoy the photos,
Chris

soewhatman

Re: GR-Research O-3 Cabinets Nearing Completion
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:08 pm »
Wow!  Those will be some really sharp looking speakers.

Rick.

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:13 pm »
Looking sweet Chris!  Hope you've been well....

texasphile

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:27 pm »
Looking sweet Chris!  Hope you've been well....

Thanks Art,

I was sick for about a week and a half just recently.  Now I'm doing A-Okay!  I can't wait to hear them once they are fully assembled and ready to play.  Just gotta get the receiver that I have to output to the subwoofer whenever I am playing a movie with Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD...firmware update will hopefully fix that beggar.  The DTS equivalents work fine.

The Mappa Burl was an eBay special, still, it was pretty expensive and evidently hard to work, from what I was told. 

Cheers,
Chris

texasphile

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:33 pm »
Oh, the cabinets are now at Danny's house and he is going to fiddle a bit with the crossover and one of the drivers to see how some different tweaks sound.  So, I guess it will also be a mini-test box for the "Mad Scientist." 

Chris

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2008, 05:17 pm »
Beautiful veneer, Chris!

texasphile

Re: GR-Research O-3 Completed and Being Measured
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2008, 01:11 am »
Hello All,

The O-3s are finished and are currently being measured at GR-Research.  I heard them on Saturday the 2nd, Happy Birthday Danny!, and even with only a few hours on them, they really sound special.  I am getting LS series sound, minus large dynamics and other things that you get with the "Big Ole' Speakers."  However, you do get some of the house sound in them.  I really, really like the way they sound and would highly recommend them to someone who wants a good home theater and very good stereo speaker.  The hard part for me was getting beyond the unconventional appearance of the midrange/woofer drivers on the top of the cabinet.  The stereo imaging was superb and rather wide (well outside the speakers themselves) regardless if you were sitting or standing.  Danny may be able to put some pictures of the finished speakers on this thread for your enjoyment once he has completed the measurements. 

These speakers sound better in almost every respect to my $5000 Soliloquy 8.2 speakers as designed for Dennis Had at Cary Audio.  The Soliloquys go down to 27 Hz which most speakers will not do and that is a nice strength if you don't need that last bit of oomph that a sub-woofer provides.  The O-3s are designed with the use of a sub-woofer and I heard them with the Rythmik audio/GR-Research combo sub, which is a very good combination and fit with one another extremely well.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the initial impressions review,
Chris

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2008, 01:29 am »
What, no pictures of the finished project??? :cry: That just ain't right,,, :drool:

But anyways,,,,, congrates! :thumb:
Cheers,
Robin

texasphile

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2008, 02:28 am »
Pictures will be forthcoming...

They are at GR-Research right now, so if Danny finds his camera...Pictures!

If not, look for pictures by me this weekend.  :guitar:   :drums:  :dance:

They look even better finished out.

Chris

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:15 am »
Hello Chris,
 The speakers look great and I have no doubt they will sound as good as they look.

I think what you are doing is great. Most schools will use a $49 boom-box or Sparkomatic rack system to demonstrate their music library. A Funk Firm table? Interesting. Music in schools is important and using a quality system equally important in my opinion. Having some glowing glass will easily grab peoples initial attention. Nice job :thumb:

texasphile

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:34 am »
Hello Chris,
 The speakers look great and I have no doubt they will sound as good as they look.

I think what you are doing is great. Most schools will use a $49 boom-box or Sparkomatic rack system to demonstrate their music library. A Funk Firm table? Interesting. Music in schools is important and using a quality system equally important in my opinion. Having some glowing glass will easily grab peoples initial attention. Nice job :thumb:

Hello,

I distinctly remember purchasing the Ming Da tube amp from...You!   8)

Chris

texasphile

Completed and playing sweet sweet music!!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2008, 06:00 am »
Hello folks,

Well, the O-3s are at my house and playing sweet music.  They also do a bang-up job with my High Definition home theater.  I have both HD DVD :angel: and Blu Ray players Wink2 and they sound much better through the O-3s compared to my Soliloquy 8.2s (which were designed for music only) when playing Dolby HD and DTS HD Master audio.

So, I'm very happy with their performance, and of course they look great. 

Here are two pictures of the finished speakers, I Photoshopped out the background to remove all of the CDs, DVDs, and other stuff lying around.

My thanks to Danny for creating such a nice speaker for such a good price.   :notworthy:

Enjoy,
Chris

texasphile

Oops, I forgot one thing.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2008, 06:13 am »
Hello all,

I forgot to mention that one of Danny's subs will replace my M&K V75 subwoofer (a nice sealed design without the one note wonder sound of some subs out there).  That might take a while since I don't mind waiting, and the man who built the O-3s is currently busy with other things.  When it is ready to go, I'll let everyone know.  I purchased an Apex Senior plate amplifier... With Remote Control!!!! that I can adjust from the chair when listening to 2 channel or home theater.   :rock:

Weeee!

Chris

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2008, 06:30 am »
Chris, what did you use as a finish for the veneer? It almost looks like a poly finish but it's hard to tell from them pictures. Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

William Schuchard

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2008, 01:29 pm »
That is a fantastic finish job.  I hope they sound as good as they look.  The veneer is amazing.  I would like to know the same thing.  What is the finish used?

Thanks,
    Bill

Chris, what did you use as a finish for the veneer? It almost looks like a poly finish but it's hard to tell from them pictures. Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2008, 03:13 pm »
I am pretty sure it was an oil based polyurethane that was brushed on.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2008, 04:44 pm »
Congrats on your new arrivals, Chris!  Beautiful veneer!  :thumb: