OB/Dipole Subwoofer Kit

bdp24

OB/Dipole Subwoofer Kit
« on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:23 pm »
I was going to PM Danny about this, but thought I'd throw it out to everybody, in case anyone else has anything to say on the subject.

I've been spreading the word in other Forums (especially Audiogon, but also some dedicated to planar loudspeakers) about the OB/Dipole Sub, and have been contacted by a few people wanting to hear about it. I tell them about the sub, and direct them to the GR Research website. But they get lost looking for info about it on the site, as the OB/Dipole Sub is not listed as a complete product, info on it found only on the pages of the 12" and 8" drivers themselves. Danny, you list and picture the OB woofers and the A370 plate amp, but not together as a subwoofer kit. Rythmik lists the OB Sub as a complete DIY product, but doesn't have all the design and technical info potential buyers are looking for, and Brian and Enrico aren't really pushing the sub, understandably directing customers to the Rythmik subs instead.

Just a suggestion, but I think it would be a good idea to list and picture the OB/Dipole Sub as a complete ready-to-buy kit, like the other GR Research OB Series DIY Kit products.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: OB/Dipole Subwoofer Kit
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:37 pm »
Great idea! 

Maybe with references to AC folks like captainhemo and others for the flatpacks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2016, 09:25 pm »
I have been thinking about doing that for a while and just haven't gotten to it yet. I will move this up on my priority list.

Thank you.

bdp24

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2016, 01:25 am »
Great idea! 

Maybe with references to AC folks like captainhemo and others for the flatpacks.

Also a good idea, as in one discussion of OB speakers on Audiogon, the Linkwitz were brought up. I told the participants that if they were already considering an OB DIY kit for which they would have to build enclosures, they should look into the similar-in-some-respects but superior GR Research OB/Dipole Sub kit for at least the bass section. Some planar speaker owners but non-DIYers jumped in, expressing interest in OB/Dipole subs, but having reservations because of the H-Frame construction required. I told them about Jay's new frames, reassuring them that they were no harder to assemble than an Ikea bookcase. Finishing is a separate issue, but come on, how hard is it to paint MDF?!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:09 am »
Good job, bdp24!

A website update is a great idea, Danny.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:50 am »
Finishing is a separate issue, but come on, how hard is it to paint MDF?!

If they don't mind a slightly industrial look, DuraTex. A lot easier to apply than paint, hides seams without any extra prep, and is more durable than most paints.

Mike

Ern Dog

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:54 am »
I'd also consider offering this sub as a completely built option as well.  Some people (like myself) don't want to spend the time and energy putting something together and finishing it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:59 am »
I'd also consider offering this sub as a completely built option as well.  Some people (like myself) don't want to spend the time and energy putting something together and finishing it.

That's where guys like me, Ron and a few others come in. I'm currently building a pair of the 12" H-Frames for a fellow AC'er. 

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:16 am »
If shipping wasn't such a PITA,  we'd offer some completed cabinets with peoples choice of automotive finishes.
OTOH, our flat packs  are EXTREMELY easy to assemble and pretty quick too.  They go out pretty clean, not a ton of prep required especailly if yo ugo with the overhaging tops

As I was telling one guy this am, there are so many cool finishes available  nowadays,  all a guy has to do is take walk down the paint isle at HD  and he's sure to find something easy and cool  to use

jay

bdp24

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2016, 04:27 am »
If they don't mind a slightly industrial look, DuraTex. A lot easier to apply than paint, hides seams without any extra prep, and is more durable than most paints.

Mike

Mike, I thought DuraTex WAS paint. No? I know it has to be applied with a roller, but I just thought it was a thick consistency, still paint though. How is it different than paint? I have some great Hot Rod Black (less sheen than semi-gloss, more than flat. Sort of eggshell, like on custom Rat Rod cars) spray I'm going to use on Jay's frames.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2016, 11:28 am »
DuraTex is a polymer material, so a type of plastic to protect surfaces from what I read at their website. 

Just got 1 QT from Danny to use on the HX800 servo amp boxes I got from captainhemo and just finished assembly.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2016, 01:59 pm »
If you have ever seen pro audio gear like concert speakers that have a textured hard rubber like covering, that's DuraTex.

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:08 pm »
I think it is also used as truck bed liner.

Here is a 1 QT kit I just got from Danny to finish the servo amp cabinets.  Comes with the texture roller.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:25 pm »
I think it is also used as truck bed liner.

That is what I thought from what I have read about it. I bet it is pretty tough stuff.
Think I recall reading you can get it in different colors too  which is cool

jay

usp1

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:49 pm »
How difficult would it be to make a "finished" flat pack? The parts could all be painted or veneered and any fasteners could be hidden using knock-in plugs. Most Ikea stuff comes like that.

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:53 pm »
i bought a half gallon, way to much, but i have been finding uses for it.  covered a pair of klipsch 2.2s and subs with it, easy to roll on with a nap roller or other choice.  it just changes the texture.  did the pipes to my car carrier, so they don't rust.  you can get other colors, but black is fine for me.  stuff is solid, but but but...  do not stack stuff on it for a good week or it may adhere to it.  i stacked a pair of speakers on a sub after three days, stuck to gather... ahhhhh. had to redo them. 

Very easy if you have touch ups too.  I did add some darker black to my mix at the paint store, as the color from the company is a dark dark black/gray tint.  most don't mind, but i wanted darker.  it work and the small batch i tried.   

so much easier than spray paint or other.. 

jparkhur

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:57 pm »
Here is what it looks like on Zu Cubes and a Klipsch Sub..

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2016, 05:02 pm »
How difficult would it be to make a "finished" flat pack? The parts could all be painted or veneered and any fasteners could be hidden using knock-in plugs. Most Ikea stuff comes like that.

The issue I'd have with doing this is the fact  the cabinet still needs to be glued up once it arrives, then a guy runs the risk of getting glue on the veneer / paint or possibly damaging either when clamping the cabinet up during gluing. You've also got to worry about the increased possibility of damage during shipping

I guess there is the option of  doing a fully "ready to go" cabinet, assembled with the desired finish but again,  really  increasing the odds  of damage  during shipping. These are big and heavy pieces, one of the dual 12" H-Frames is about 70 lbs , a triple about 90 (just cabinets).

OTOH, the packs are  easy... if a part isn't held in position with a dowel, it fits in a dado (slot).  A person could assemble  a cabinet  in a very short amount of time and have it veneered /painted locally  quite easily.
Ron over at [ur=http://www.newrecordday.coml]New Record Day[/url] will be building a pair out soon and posting a review so folks will know just what's involved and how incredible these  subs perform  :thumb:

I'm not saying what you suggested is impossible, just that it may not be the best way

jay
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2016, 07:12 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 8 Mar 2016, 05:46 pm »
Looking forward to hearing what Ron thinks about the OB subs.

bdp24

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2016, 09:22 pm »
Looking forward to hearing what Ron thinks about the OB subs.

Ron's enthusiastic, and for his age has heard a lot of products, but he raves about everything he reviews. For an opinion to have gravitas, it needs to be informed. I think most of us here have far more listening under our belts than Ron. For guys of his generation, however, he provides a useful and sorely needed function. I wish there were more guys his age like him, to keep Hi-Fi alive!