Supercharged SongTower vs Veracity

Ragnar71

Supercharged SongTower vs Veracity
« on: 22 Jan 2020, 06:19 am »
What is the biggest difference in these two models? Is it primarily bass extension?

Has anyone compares the two ?

jsalk

Re: Supercharged SongTower vs Veracity
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2020, 04:32 pm »
What is the biggest difference in these two models? Is it primarily bass extension?

Has anyone compares the two ?

I presume you are talking about the Veracity HT2-TL's vs. the Supercharged SongTowers.  Actually, there is another model to consider as well - the Veracity ST's.

The difference between these models is the size of the woofers.

The Supercharged SongTowers use 5" Seas Excel woofers.  The Veracity ST's use 6" Seas Excel drivers which feature 6" cones in a 5" frame (great engineering).  The Veracity HT2-TL's use 7" woofers.

All of them are tuned to the same F3 of 34Hz. 

The larger the cone, the more air it can move.  So while then don't play deeper, the Veracity HT2-TL's will move more air down low giving the impression that they have more bass extension.  They don't.  But they do sound like a larger speaker.

You would assume that the Veracity ST's fall about half way between the Supercharged SongTowers and the Veracity HT2-TL's.  But actually, the ST's are closer to the HT2-TL's in terms of bass output.  So the Veracity ST's provide almost the same bass response as the HT2-TL's in a cabinet size similar to the Supercharged SongTowers.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Hydro

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2020, 05:03 pm »
I own a pair of Ht-2tl's and Supercharged song towers. The Scst's work great in a smaller room but can't fill a large room like the Ht-2tl's. Even in a small room I use a sub with the Scst's to fill out the sound. In small rooms the Ht-2tl's overwhelm you with bass, I stuff the port lightly with a rag to bring the low bass down a bit. Both are efficient enough to use a 35 watt tube amp. I considered the Ht-2tl's a sweet spot in the line up before the Song 3 series came out, their only drawback is their large size. For about the same price you can get a Song 3A. The Ht's would be a bit more forgiving of the system driving them as the Acutron mid is very revealing.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2020, 05:47 pm »
I own a pair of the Veracity STs...they are without a doubt, the best sounding loudspeaker I have ever owned...including the Quad 57s.

The blend between the Seas 6" midwoofers and the RAAL is seamless...the sound is detailed and fast and the soundstage is deep and wide...and these speakers are just at the edge of being easily manageable by one person.

I have them in a 10,000 cubic foot open concept room.  And even in such a big room, they sound great and you can hear the low bass...BUT...what you can't do is feel the low bass and get a sense of pressurization.

So, I run them full range and then supplement them below 50hz with a sealed 15" sub that is only turned up enough that you can slightly feel the low end at the seating position 10' back and just begin to sense the low bass pressurization in your head.  The actual tone and location of the bass though is provided by the Veracity STs and not by the sub....there is no localization of the sub, you really never know it is playing.

The beauty of using a sub with a smaller speaker vs buying the larger speaker is that if your seating position is in a bass null or a bass enhanced spot, you are stuck with the result...but when you have the smaller speaker with a sub, you can tune the low end by moving the sub around...assuming you have the flexibility to do so.