IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #140 on: 26 Aug 2015, 01:38 am »
greg

To "my ears" the dac in the IDA-8 sounds most similar to the Peachtree DAC-ITx in my office system.  This is not surprising as they use the "same" chip from different ESS families.  It is not to me up to the separate DAC-10 or W4S DAC-2.  To me the DAC was the least important part for the implementation it was bought for.  It needed to be simple to use and "non-tech" spouse friendly.  It does just happen to sound good too. Don't get me wrong the DAC is perfectly acceptable in a product of this type and price range, just don't expect it to be a "world beater."

Thank you JackD,

I haven't heard any of the dacs you mention but I have read several comparisons of the W4S DAC-2 with others that I have heard. You have given me a much better feel than I had.

I'm guessing the dac isn't warm sounding in any way but is clean and does what it's supposed to do.

Much appreciated,

Greg

JackD

« Reply #141 on: 26 Aug 2015, 01:49 am »
Greg

In an integrated setting it is kind of hard to separate out which part accounts for the total sound.  I haven't tried a separate DAC into the IDA-8 myself but I know someone who has.  I suspect the DAC section of the IDA-8 has the same family house sound that all ESS DAC's do.  The total package to me is on the slight warm side of neutral which makes it a perfect fit for the Golden Ear Triton 5's which are just to the detail side of neutral. 
I run the DAC-10 in my main system so I can account for it's sound which is pretty much neutral.

mrvco

« Reply #142 on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:05 am »
Well, that was a glowing review.

I wouldn't expect any less from a hifi sales guy :D

mrvco

« Reply #143 on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:14 am »
Greg

In an integrated setting it is kind of hard to separate out which part accounts for the total sound.  I haven't tried a separate DAC into the IDA-8 myself but I know someone who has.  I suspect the DAC section of the IDA-8 has the same family house sound that all ESS DAC's do.  The total package to me is on the slight warm side of neutral which makes it a perfect fit for the Golden Ear Triton 5's which are just to the detail side of neutral. 
I run the DAC-10 in my main system so I can account for it's sound which is pretty much neutral.

I went ahead and ordered an IDA-8 in black from AA (hopefully with the 1x sub-out).  It should arrive mid to late next week.  I'll be interested to compare its DAC with my Bifrost Uber.

JackD

« Reply #144 on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:30 am »
As to whether AA's stock is the new or old pre-out spec you need to pm Jason and ask as he will know when they had their's delivered. 

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #145 on: 26 Aug 2015, 02:33 am »
Good catch Jack...the AA stock is probably the old pre-out spec units. Definitely PM Rustydoglim and ask him.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #146 on: 26 Aug 2015, 05:46 am »
Greg

I certainly agree that with everything built in it's hard to determine what any piece of the puzzle sounds like. What's great is you can use another dac of choice and if needed change the sound to your liking.

I wouldn't expect any less from a hifi sales guy :D

Ha, that was my point. Let us know how the IDA-8 sounds with a different dac, I will be very interested in your findings. I've been keen on nos dacs for several years but dacs are changing at a rapid rate and I'm open to new products and what they can do for the music.

srb

« Reply #147 on: 26 Aug 2015, 06:25 am »
What's great is you can use another dac of choice and if needed change the sound to your liking.

Some will want to use the only analog input as an HT Bypass or phono input, and if the internal DAC doesn't satisfy I would be more inclined to move on to a different integrated with DAC that does.

Steve

mrvco

« Reply #148 on: 26 Aug 2015, 03:51 pm »
Good catch Jack...the AA stock is probably the old pre-out spec units. Definitely PM Rustydoglim and ask him.

The silver units are in-stock and they are waiting for the black units to arrive from Nuprime, so I have high confidence that the black units (when they arrive) will be set to 1x based on John Casler's post in the pre-out gain thread.

mrvco

« Reply #149 on: 26 Aug 2015, 04:00 pm »
Some will want to use the only analog input as an HT Bypass or phono input, and if the internal DAC doesn't satisfy I would be more inclined to move on to a different integrated with DAC that does.

Steve

I'll use the analog input for my phono pre, but I'll also a/b my current DAC with the integrated DAC during the 30-day audition period.  My plan has been to purchase a SET tube integrated (e.g. Decware Super Zen) and ping-pong between the IDA-8 and SET.  The only thing that made me question that strategy is trying to get "the best of both worlds" with the Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated (tube pre, Class-D amp) which has a high quality phono pre, but no integrated DAC.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #150 on: 26 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm »

Steve

Yes, I understand the intended purpose of the circuit but for $1000.00 you can add a dac you really love and have a great system. I personally in my application would use the analog inputs for HT purposes but I can see someone who doesn't do vinyl and doesn't have a HT set up wanting to use a very reasonably priced preamp with a dac to their liking. I know their are other units available but this one is getting some good reviews, I think it could be a good option for many.

rustydoglim

« Reply #151 on: 26 Aug 2015, 11:13 pm »
All the current IDA-8 still has 3X gain (which isn't a lot) on the sub output.  I think people should go with the original design and unless you really need 1X, we can make the adjustment.  I am going back and forth on whether to go with 1,2 or 3X  :scratch:
May be we fix at 2X and then nobody needs to complain.

JackD

« Reply #152 on: 27 Aug 2015, 01:11 am »
Just fix it to the industry standard and be done with it.  Then no one will have anything else to say about it.  Nobody with multiple subs already integrated into a system and calibrated wants to go through that process again just to swap out integrated amps.  In my case it didn't make any difference because I was changing out all the gear in that system from HT to 2-channel so the subs had to be redone anyway, but to others it very well could be a deciding factor and in the case of one pre-order owner it was.  Even in my case it does limit the volume control on the sub to the first quarter of the dial.

mrvco

« Reply #153 on: 27 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
Just fix it to the industry standard and be done with it.  Then no one will have anything else to say about it.  Nobody with multiple subs already integrated into a system and calibrated wants to go through that process again just to swap out integrated amps.  In my case it didn't make any difference because I was changing out all the gear in that system from HT to 2-channel so the subs had to be redone anyway, but to others it very well could be a deciding factor and in the case of one pre-order owner it was.  Even in my case it does limit the volume control on the sub to the first quarter of the dial.

My sub's gain knob is already well under 50%, so I'm not crazy about the idea of reducing the available adjustment range or increasing the sensitivity.  If the 3x sub-out is specifically meant to cater to folks running multiple subs, that's great, but has that become the majority of the market for two-channel integrated amps?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #154 on: 27 Aug 2015, 03:58 am »
All the current IDA-8 still has 3X gain (which isn't a lot) on the sub output.  I think people should go with the original design and unless you really need 1X, we can make the adjustment.  I am going back and forth on whether to go with 1,2 or 3X  :scratch:
May be we fix at 2X and then nobody needs to complain.

Might I suggest something different?  Take one, or more, agreeable stocking dealers and supply them with both 1x and 3x outputs and see which one sells out first.  Or you could offer both options from the factory and tally both direct sales and dealer orders.  How much would it add in excess cost to maintain a small inventory of both options for a short evaluation period?

rustydoglim

« Reply #155 on: 27 Aug 2015, 05:25 am »
The new batch of IDA-8 just shipped to USA has 1X gain.

mrvco

« Reply #156 on: 1 Sep 2015, 07:38 pm »
I put an order in last week and the IDA-8 is in backorder status.  The AA website had a ship date of 8/28, but that went to OOS after I put my order in and now it is saying "Ships in 3-5 days" again.

JackD

« Reply #157 on: 1 Sep 2015, 08:52 pm »
Well if Jason had them all changed to the 1x on the pre-out that would have caused a delay then they have to go from Indiana to Michigan before they can ship them out.

mrvco

« Reply #158 on: 2 Sep 2015, 11:13 pm »
AA is showing 9/9 as the new "expected by" date.

rustydoglim

« Reply #159 on: 4 Sep 2015, 09:44 pm »
They sold out of everything and I heard they just placed an order. We have eight IDA-8 just arrived in the USA but they belongs to stocks for other dealers.