norcal meet requests

Berndt

norcal meet requests
« on: 8 May 2007, 12:11 am »
Hi to everyone who checks in here.
I'd like any thoughts regarding a get together for the norcal circle.
I'd be happy to host, btw.
I am getting a new set of subs in the upcoming weeks that are designed for quads/maggies.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=mug&m=108159

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=mug&m=109393

I would be happy to host an event and give TCG a chance to bring his frankenstein jvc dd tt.
I would like to showcase my magnastand smgas and my new(to me) CJ mf200.
Not to mention my cornerstone, the mapletree U4, modded by Nick Gowan at True Sound...
http://www.tsound.com
Let's get a date on the books.
Bill

« Last Edit: 9 May 2007, 03:17 am by Berndt »

Berndt

Re: norcal meet requests
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2007, 01:06 am »
Do you guys want to do a comparison?
Should I just pick a day and see what happens?
Ferris?
Sonny?, Sonny, what are you interested in hearing?

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2007, 01:41 am »
My preference is a Saturday.  I might be enticed to bring a Shanling CD T-100 as a source, and lately I've been getting into headphones and can bring several pairs for people to compare

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2007, 02:22 am »
Great, a source comparison sounds fun.
I'd like to hear Bens trl modded sacd player again.
And TCG's JVC ddtt. (have I said that allready?)
Anyone have  a modded tuner? Maybe just a nice tuner?
Also, I have to hear refmedias vmps super towers!
Not to mention building the norcal reference cd.
we have some great projects, any volunteers?

wiredbecker

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
New guy here--Hello!

I have a TS Lim DIVA modified Marantz CD63 player if you guys are interested. I'm currently running it into a flea powered 3/4 watt per channel Darling tube amp driving some vintage 101db efficient Pioneer CS-77s. I can easily pack it some or all of it into my VW Golf if you guys would like to check it out.

-Chris

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2007, 12:38 am »
Chris that sounds great.
I am just waiting for a confirmed ship date for the subs to start throwing dates around.
Probably try to keep it to source comparisons, that's enough work for a norcal audio meet.
Any BBQ suggestions? First one was ribs, second one was chicken. Maybe I'll do a brisket?
Bill

GBB

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2007, 02:45 am »
Hi to everyone who checks in here.
I'd like any thoughts regarding a get together for the norcal circle.
I'd be happy to host, btw.

Hi,
I'm new to the Bay Area having moved here from NY recently.  I'd be interested in joining and could bring lots of different source components.  I've got some decent tuners, DACs, phono stages, etc. if there's interest in playing with such things.  I tend to do a lot of DIY so it's not the standard off the shelf equipment.

Thanks,
---Gary

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2007, 03:02 am »
Gary, you sound like a shoe in!
Please feel free to list your diy equipment.
Welcome,to norcal as well.
Phono stages, tuners, dacs, the whole deal love to hear your projects.
Regards, Bill

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2007, 03:37 am »
Do you guys want to do a comparison?
Should I just pick a day and see what happens?
Ferris?
Sonny?, Sonny, what are you interested in hearing?

Bill, I'd be up for it...
I can't next weekend and this weekend would work, early Saturday...
I'd be willing to bring a Consonance reference 2.0 SACD and even a phono stage if you guys like.
Let me know and let the show begin...also, I'd be happy to host one in June!
Tuan (Sonny)

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2007, 02:30 pm »
We have a lot going on right now, but depending on the date I would be interested in attending. If you're doing sub comparisons, I have an Adire Rava that might be interesting to hear against the SVS. I also have a LiTe Audio DAC 60 that has been extensively modified by Pacific Valve and re-labled as a DAC 62.

GBB

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 02:39 pm »
Please feel free to list your diy equipment.
Welcome,to norcal as well.

Bill,
Thanks for the welcome.  I could bring lots of different things but I suspect there won't be enough time to play with everyone's toys so we'll need to be selective and make some decisions about what is really interesting. Anyway, here's a partial list:
Phono stages - heavily modified NYAL Super It and if there are MC cartridges, S&B step up transformers
Preamps - WE417a with output transformer preamp;  also a TVC preamp based on the S&B transformer volume controls
DACs - non-oversampling TDA1541a DAC
other - tweaked Squeezebox 3 if you're set up for computer audio
Tuner - modded Sansui TU-9900

---Gary

Berndt

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2007, 04:17 am »
So many great offers, thanks. Love to listen to some dacs and tuners as well.
My olive just filled it's diaper but I do have my collection backed up upon my computer, just haven't tried to play it through my rig yet.
Like to spend some time with phono stages as well, but this could creat a time crunch.
Once we establish a date the details will flesh out.
Thanks for your patience and enthusiasm.

Berndt

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2007, 04:21 am »
We have a lot going on right now, but depending on the date I would be interested in attending. If you're doing sub comparisons, I have an Adire Rava that might be interesting to hear against the SVS. I also have a LiTe Audio DAC 60 that has been extensively modified by Pacific Valve and re-labled as a DAC 62.

Love to hear your dac, Dan.
Be great to see you again as well.

Sonny

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2007, 05:32 pm »
So, guys, any dates planned?  I hate to have the NY Audio Rave guys, beat the rest of us in all meetings/number of meetings.  They have monthly meetings and seems like they are everywhere!  I mean, how many photos of Lonewolf can one take???? :beer:  (you look good in all of them Lonewolf!)  :thumb:

Berndt

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2007, 02:27 pm »
It appears as if it might be mid june 'til I am ready.
Perhaps if we had enough interest we could have a get together before then at some elses place?

I think we have a wide enough base of enthusiasm to have monthly get togethers.
I want to keep this a hobby, though, with the accent on fun.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2007, 03:14 pm »
Fun, yes, fuuuuunnnnnn please...

Music shouldn't be a heavy endeavor and I think most of us (myself def. included) tend to forget this  :roll:

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2007, 03:39 pm »
Well, I would definitely hold a get together on a Sunday or Saturday afternoon if you guys want. The only Caveat is that my Cyber 800 mono blocks are being worked on and upgraded as well as my Marantz SA8260.  However, I do have Vinyl, a Scount table, JMW-9, Shelter 501MKii, Diva Audio Phono Pre, Oppo 981dvd player, Odyssey Mono amps and DIY Speakers. 

So, let me know what the interests is and we can look at the next couple weeks.

T

R_burke

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2007, 04:23 pm »
So Sonny, where are you located?  I might be able to supply a Shanling CD t100 source and a couple of pairs of headphones.  The Shanling has an integrated/independent tube based headphone amp.

BUT - I am not available on Memorial Weekend, Santa Cruz Blues Festival and Boulder Creek Art & Wine Festival have me booked up  :thumb:

wiredbecker

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2007, 04:50 pm »
Chris that sounds great. Probably try to keep it to source comparisons, that's enough work for a norcal audio meet.

Ah right. Well then I can at least offer the modified CD63 and the Hagerman Bugle phono stage I just finished building.
This weekend is going to be completely crazy with the Maker Faire at the San Mateo fairgrounds.
www.makerfaire.com

Sonny

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2007, 02:29 am »
Well guys, seems like the first weekend in June?
I am glad you mentioned the festivals, I've forgotton all about them.
btw, I am in emeryville, right across for the bay bridge and a 1/2 mile from the 580 collapse!
How does that date sound?
T