A special Aurora for a special customer

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: A special Aurora for a special customer
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2015, 09:19 pm »
That post leaves me conflicted.

I'm glad the ALs will be a fantastic choice in my upcoming Stiff Breezes, but I hope the coppers were worth the significant premium for my uber Auroras.   :lol:

Ah, not that much difference in cost. The copper is fantastic as well. It gives a more polished sound with a blacker background.

My preference, I would put the copper's in the electronics and the AL in the speakers. That could change if I tried the Copper's in the speakers, but I just don't want to change a damn thing right now.

For context, this is for my second system using big highly upgraded JBL L220's and some tube gear. The Jupiter AL caps and the foil inductors made some damn fine speakers out of these, and the difference was not at all subtle.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:02 am »
I finally got to spend some time in front of the Uberoras.  All I can say is that Fred is going to have to get one more accessory before he hooks them up and turns on the amp.  Holy moley,  these things are really amazing.  Per Skanning is a whiz with the woofer and those T-labs Beryllium tweeters blend seamlessly with the incredible transparency of the custom Flex Unit.

Seriously Fred, don't be wearing anything that isn't easily laundered.   :green:

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:37 am »
Awesome, Pete!

I'm super excited to get them home.   Was tonights listen the final sign off before they're good to get boxed and crated?   

Can't wait to share my own impressions next week!

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:42 am »
Start your liquid diet, so things don't get too messy!       :rotflmao:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2015, 04:27 am »
Awesome, Pete!

I'm super excited to get them home.   Was tonights listen the final sign off before they're good to get boxed and crated?   

Can't wait to share my own impressions next week!

We've only got a couple days on them.  If anything, we might pad down the tweeter just a tad more but it would be a very subtle adjustment.  Ryan's got some nice Duelund resistors laying around that might be just the right values, so we'll try substituting them tomorrow and see what we think.

Bass is awesome, mids are crystal clear and the highs are as good or better as I've ever heard from any dome tweeter.   I had them cranking some BIG music today, full orchestral stuff, some TOOL at very high volume, Rammstein, Nora Jones, Peter Gabriel, Infected Mushroom, Allison Krauss, all of it just sounded fantastic.  We'll definitely have them boxed up and shipped this week.  I really hate to see them go!!!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2015, 04:42 am »

Bass is awesome,  I really hate to see them go!!!

bingo!!,Pete... :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:37 pm »
Really awesome to read, Pete.  What are you guys driving it with to test it?  I've got a Line Magnetic LM-518ia (845 SET) I took in on a trade that I thought the Auroras might play nicely with.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2015, 09:29 pm »
Really awesome to read, Pete.  What are you guys driving it with to test it?  I've got a Line Magnetic LM-518ia (845 SET) I took in on a trade that I thought the Auroras might play nicely with.

I was listening to them being driven by some massive Clayton Audio monoblocks.  I'm sure the 845 will sound fantastic with them, just not rattle the walls quite as much.

The Derecho would be a great speaker to pair with the 845 since they are about 6dB more sensitive.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:34 am »
I was listening to them being driven by some massive Clayton Audio monoblocks.  I'm sure the 845 will sound fantastic with them, just not rattle the walls quite as much.

The Derecho would be a great speaker to pair with the 845 since they are about 6dB more sensitive.

I think this Aurora iteration is more sensitive than we expected.  I was driving them last night with the 9wpc 300B SET's and they were full top to bottom with plenty of volume.  With the SPL meter at 9-10', I was getting 92-93db before it ran out.

That's actually a trend we've seen a few times lately, the AudioTechnology drivers are consistently more sensitive than Skaaning says. 

Gopher

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2015, 01:45 am »
Interesting.   I have a few amps on hand like a wells inamorata Sig I could try with them.   I suspect it won't be hard to find synergy and get them.singing.

Did you play with those resistors any?   

Gopher

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2015, 02:45 am »
BTW--I'm a crappy photographer. 

Snap some good pics and get 'em posted as this finish should look awesome and I won't be able to capture it. :thumb:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2015, 04:07 am »
Interesting.   I have a few amps on hand like a wells inamorata Sig I could try with them.   I suspect it won't be hard to find synergy and get them.singing.

Did you play with those resistors any?

The Wells with the Aurora should help you knock off any loose paint chips on the walls.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:43 am »
Made the resistor change today and did some more listening.  Even better!!  Ryan had them cranked up to levels I never thought they'd be able to sustain and it was  :thumb:.  I even heard Ryan say, believe it or not, that he'd take them over a set of Cirrus!  What they might give up in high frequency transparency and nuance is more than made up for in the dynamic slam.  They are really impressive monitors doing things a lot of floor standers just can't do.  They are on a new level compared to the original Aurora.  Woofer and tweeter are both significant upgrades.  They should be for the money!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:49 am »
Enjoy Fred!

bajaed

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jun 2015, 04:04 am »
Stunning! Beautiful color, really rich.

Was blown away by the Auroras when I heard them last year. Would really like to hear this version.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jun 2015, 04:10 am »

Was blown away by the Auroras when I heard them last year. Would really like to hear this version.

These are incredible, easily a 30% improvement over the standard Aurora.  The midrange is much more articulate and fleshed out, more slam and tonal density to bass, and the top end is more refined.  They're stunning, I know Pete's almost had a heart attack when I said I'd take these over a Cirrus Black!  For me, that's about as high as praise gets.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:22 am »

I'll echo Ryan's comments.  There is no contest between the standard Aurora and this version.  You'd swear you're listening to a 5' tall 3-way tower with a 12" woofer.  We had them setup up cross-fire mode and the sound stage was just huge; wide, tall, deep, and totally immersive.  Not only will they let you feel the music, but when when needed, they deliver subtle detail and refinement when the program calls for it.  As far as I'm concerned, this should be the only version we offer.  To say they spoiled me would be an understatement.

If you can make it to NY, I'm sure Fred will be glad to host.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:24 am »
As far as I'm concerned, this should be the only version we offer. 

Unfortunately, $591/each woofers change the price bracket somewhat.

GentleBender

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:52 am »
A new meaning for "What can brown do for you?"

Much better looking too!

fex02

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jun 2015, 09:37 am »
Fred- they are beautiful.I am sure you will be Pleased.
every time i turn the Joule's on, i can't believe the sound experience.
Ryan is right- the last speaker i buy.