A special Aurora for a special customer

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
A special Aurora for a special customer
« on: 8 Apr 2015, 12:02 am »
So this is the pair of Aurora that was original scheduled to go to Srajan at 6moons.  Some time after we decided to back out of that deal, 'someone' we all know contacted me about interest in a pair.  Originally we spoke about going for the gusto, then changed gears and it was to be a budget build, then back to all out balls to the wall!  This is the result. 

Tweeter is the new T-Labs Beryllium dome
Woofer is a custom made for our specs AudioTech 8" Flex Unit
Paint is AMG Sepang Brown

The results are fantastic!  Pete, Ed, and I have been referring to these "internally" as the Uber Aurora.  We have a monitor with the oomph to bitch slap many floorstanders, refinement and delicacy you typically have to spend 3x the amount to find, and style only Vapor Audio can execute (not a right angle on the entire thing). 

I don't want to give away the owners name just yet, lets hear some guesses  :lol:

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: A special Aurora for a special customer
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2015, 12:34 am »
Hmm, my guess is Gopher. Nice finish on these Ryan!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2015, 12:47 am »
Hmm, my guess is Gopher. Nice finish on these Ryan!

Well that wasn't any fun, you guessed way too easily  :duh:

fex02

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2015, 08:27 am »
nice!

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:23 am »
So this is the pair of Aurora that was original scheduled to go to Srajan at 6moons.  Some time after we decided to back out of that deal, 'someone' we all know contacted me about interest in a pair.  Originally we spoke about going for the gusto, then changed gears and it was to be a budget build, then back to all out balls to the wall!  This is the result. 

Tweeter is the new T-Labs Beryllium dome
Woofer is a custom made for our specs AudioTech 8" Flex Unit
Paint is AMG Sepang Brown

The results are fantastic!  Pete, Ed, and I have been referring to these "internally" as the Uber Aurora.  We have a monitor with the oomph to bitch slap many floorstanders, refinement and delicacy you typically have to spend 3x the amount to find, and style only Vapor Audio can execute (not a right angle on the entire thing). 

I don't want to give away the owners name just yet, lets hear some guesses  :lol:

Ryan,

I always put the electronic parts "inside" the speaker....

:lol:

Just kidding,  they look beautiful. As always, your speakers are one of a kind and I like your style..... :thumb:

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:31 am »
Gopher is one lucky dude. The Auroras sound great, but with those parts, I can only imagine. I'm sure it looks better in person, but not so sure about the color.  :P They will love them!

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm »
Nice!!! Congrats Gopher.  That Sepang Brown is the same color as the front baffles of my Joule Black.
The look is awesome in person.  Photos just don't do justice.

Don P.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2015, 01:50 pm »
Ryan,

I always put the electronic parts "inside" the speaker....

:lol:

I thought they were special Michael Green style crossovers!

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:09 pm »
"Uber Auroras..."  I like that   :lol:

Thanks for the congrats, guys.  I'm really looking forward to getting these babies in house.  They'll be in my family's main living room where they'll likely see a lot of play.

This pair is also going to use Wywires for the internal cable harness and I'm leaning towards the awesome Jupiter Copper capacitors once we sort out the values.   :thumb: 

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:17 pm »
You're a lucky guy Fred. Auroras, even with much earlier tweeter selections than the current standard version and your super selection, have long been among my favorites in the Vapor line (Nimbus being the others).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:20 pm »
Man, those Aurora's have got to be big because that 8" driver looks like its a 5" dude. I'm starting to think Vapor's mantra is "GO BIG, or go home!"  :green:

Great job Vapor and congrats to you Fred!

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2015, 10:16 pm »
They are big, but like the Nimbus, the design of the cabinets makes them seem smaller than they actually are.

dex67

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2015, 10:23 pm »
oh, there's nothing small about the Nimbus...:)...they look and they sound BIG!!!

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:32 pm »
I've been chatting with Ryan as he finishes the final voicing of these speakers for shipment this week and I couldn't be more excited to get them home.

After hearing ~100 loudspeakers in the last 2 months I'm pretty confident saying the vapor sound is for me and the value proposition is ridiculous...  in fact I'm planning on jumping on the bandwagon a second time over and am working out particulars with Ryan on a Stiff Breeze build for my media room.   :thumb:

This time around I'm thinking we will go with a first order crossover built into the stands and using Jupiter Aluminum caps, Wywires cable harness and dueland resistors.

A 4th pair of speakers is probably the last thing I need, but... YOLO!   :lol:   

loving_it

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2015, 06:36 pm »
Awesome Congrats

fex02

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm »
Gopher welcome to the Vapor Team !

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2015, 03:25 pm »
Thanks.  I'm pumped for both the Auroras and the new Stiff Breeze build.

I was chatting with Ryan until like 1am last night and I think we're going to go with:

Jupiter Aluminum caps cryod (went for copper in my Auoras but want to be a little more budget friendly this time around);
Wywires Cable harness;
Jensen Wax Paper inductors; and
Path metal film resistors. 

We also talked about going with a medium/light earth tone for the room these will reside in--maybe a metallic champagne paint. 

We're also building the crossover into the stands for aesthetics and isolation.  The value proposition of building something so custom at a reasonable expense is just ridonk.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2015, 03:56 pm »
The AL Jupiters are really fantastic, and for what they do, are no better or worse than the copper IMO. They are just so musically correct the AL...

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2015, 05:56 pm »
That post leaves me conflicted.

I'm glad the ALs will be a fantastic choice in my upcoming Stiff Breezes, but I hope the coppers were worth the significant premium for my uber Auroras.   :lol:

GentleBender

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2015, 09:08 pm »
No worries. All of your doubts will melt away once you have those babies hooked up! You will be mesmerized by the sounds.  :thumb: