Are low power SET amps out of the question?

rebbi

Re: Are low power SET amps out of the question?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:20 am »
Sorry to hear it but not surprised, given the Breeze specs. An 8 watt 300B SET is just going to need an easier, more efficient load to show off that SET magic. Thanks a lot for trying, though! I do hope to hear the Arcus/SET pairing some day!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:10 am »
Dont be concerned about power but quality of music from the speaker
assuming breeze is 8 ohms and you got 8 volts at 8 watts
thats alot of power,especially with classical music
silence is king here

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2015, 05:32 am »
Dont be concerned about power but quality of music from the speaker
assuming breeze is 8 ohms and you got 8 volts at 8 watts
thats alot of power,especially with classical music
silence is king here

Being familiar with the setup it doesn't surprise me at all that the low power SET just doesn't do it, especially when you're used to hearing it through speakers with nearly 10dB higher sensitivity.  That's like having a 90W amp driving the Breeze vs the SET and the JBLs. 

With demanding music, like classical, there's a very wide dynamic range required of the system in order to hear the quiet passages above the background while rendering the peaks without strain.  With only 9W available, peaks with the Breeze will only reach an instantaneous SPL in the mid 90s.  If the recording is a good one, the peak to average ratios will easily exceed 10:1 leaving an average listening level of only mid 80dB, and if you're sitting a few meters away, maybe even less than 80dB.  That might be a bit on the low side for some folks.  But if its late at night, and the furnace isn't running and the kids are sleeping and the ambient levels in the house are 10dB or more lower than during the day, I'd wager that the SET and Breeze would do an admirable job of delivering that late night relaxing audio massage.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2015, 06:02 am »
I bet the Stiff Breeze would work pretty well with a 300B SET, they are a full 6db more sensitive.  Just need an amp with good transformers that stay linear with a 4ohm load.  Next pair of SB we build, I'll give it a shot with one and report back.

vintage9594

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2015, 06:28 am »
I should rephrase my statement....I just couldn't get enough volume for my normal listening levels with the 300b amplifier running the Breeze.  I didn't try it out for any period of time as I knew instantly it wasn't for me.  The Breeze by the way sound incredible on my VTL mono blocs:)  Since I have got the Breeze speakers I have retired my SET amp to the basement shelf and have sold the JBL speakers as I have been so enamored with the sound I am getting with the Breeze/VTL set up I kind of lost interest in listening to the 300b amp.