Opinions on AVA Amplifiers

colhogan

Opinions on AVA Amplifiers
« on: 24 Feb 2024, 11:46 am »
Hey guys: Looking for some opinions here.
Here's the deal:
I am currently  using an Omega Star 240 amplifier that I picked up second hand that I purchased directly from AVA.
Despite its age,(2003), it sounds great ,120 watts is adequate power for my needs. My speakers are 8 ohm & sensitivity is around 91db.
Anyway, I see a lot of positive feedback & reviews for the smaller 60 watt amplifier.(I forget the model number. )
It has me curious. How much better do you think it is than what I currently own?
We all know that having extra power means having extra head room
with your music. So it's not really a question of volume for me.
Any thoughts?

Huskerbryce

Re: Opinions on AVA Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2024, 12:33 pm »
When I received my DVA M750 pair I was thinking it would be an improvement over my horizontally bi-amp B&K reference 2220’s that were from around 2003ish.  I could beat around the bush and bore you with audiophile jargon, but simply put, the M750s far exceeded my old amps in every aspect.  Its not even close.  The 750 might be more than what you're looking to embark into but if you can afford them, well worth the price.  Im certain that the DVA M225s would be an amazing option as well.  Im a big fan of having more power.  Its only money. You cant take it with you when the time comes, and nothing is guaranteed except death, taxes and that your music will sound better with better equipment.  Take the plunge.  Buy some AVA mono block amps.  You will thank me later.  😂🤣

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2024, 01:53 pm »
The newer AVA amps sound much better than the older amps.  They have come a long way since the Omega star.  The 60 wpc AVA amp will have no problems driving your speakers to loud levels.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2024, 06:20 pm »
I think that as small as your room is and that your speakers are 8ohm, the AVA set 120 should be fine.

floresjc

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2024, 01:51 pm »
The newer AVA amps sound much better than the older amps.  They have come a long way since the Omega star.  The 60 wpc AVA amp will have no problems driving your speakers to loud levels.

Concur. I use a SET120 in two different systems, one driving some SS6 Monitors, and another driving the OG Songtowers. I think they are both around 87ohm sensitivity and they get plenty loud.

DecibleDude

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2024, 02:11 am »
Well 91 db is pretty good efficiency so unless you have a big room 60wpc should be good I would think.