Amplifier Question.

Irwin

Amplifier Question.
« on: 6 Dec 2008, 08:41 pm »
Are any of you using Gainclone or Digital amps to power your single driver speakers ? If so what are you using,and what are your thoughts ?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Amplifier Question.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:06 pm »
The term "digital" amp always makes me cringe a little, it's still an analog output ;)

I don't own any of those, but I don't see why they wouldn't do great from the ones I've heard.

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2008, 03:22 am »

For quite some time, I was using a pair of Channel Islands VMB1 monoblocks (gainclones) to drive my Omega Super 3 XRS speakers.  It always sounded great.  Dynamic, crystal clear sound that was just full of life and set the toe a-tappin'.

I've changed gear now, and use a Music Reference EM7 amp.  I'm enjoying the SET experience a lot.  I think it provides a slightly denser, more luscious sound than the gainclone's.  But it's not a night-and-day difference.  And it's not a situation where the SET amp is better in all dimensions.  The VMB1s had a lot of things going for them, and I especially miss their ability to generate great dynamics at low volumes.

Chad

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2008, 03:02 pm »
I have used a number of digital amps, and one gainclone to push my single driver speakers.

I have used stock, and highly modded Teac tripaths, Panny receivers (3 different ones), 2 JVC receivers, a Trends amp, a Sonic Impact 2nd edition, and a 40wpc gainclone.  I never did get a chance to hear a Red Wine Audio Clari-T, but there is one for sale on Audiogon for $250 right now, tempting me...

For me, in my room, my favourite is the JVC EX-A1 receiver, of the digital amps I have tried.

For the record, I currently use a 55 year old Magnavox single ended EL84 amp (8wpc) and find it just fantastic for use with my open baffle single driver speakers (OK, there are subs driven by a plate amp, but you get the idea!).

What speakers are you considering running?

doorman

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:55 pm »
I'm currently running my blh's with a SET, but also have a "T" amp. They both benefit from a (good) tubed pre driving them, I much prefer the SET sound, but the T amp does bass really well!
Don

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2008, 04:44 pm »
I also use Channel Island Audio VMB-1's for my 90 dB/w/m speakers.  The additional imaging/detail focus and strength over my Clari-T was much appreciated.  The Teac tripath was amazing for the price, but the VMB-1's are a couple of leagues beyond.

Camelboy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2008, 06:24 pm »
Take a look at Virtue Audio amps.

TerryO

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2008, 07:36 pm »
Are any of you using Gainclone or Digital amps to power your single driver speakers ? If so what are you using,and what are your thoughts ?

Actually, I use my "stock" HH Scott 299 tube amp sometimes and my LM 7480 chipamp the rest of the time. With 60 or so watts, the chipamp is overkill for the most part at the listening levels I use, but it's nice to have the headroom. The Scott sounds "a bit" better I think, but it's not night and day and obviously I can live with either. An SET is another step up from my Scott, as are the "First Watt" amps.
At VSAC, I spent "a lot" of time in the Cardas/Exodus Audio/Modwright room and that system used the Hypex modules in the amp. That did sound pretty good, although it was driving a 2way speaker.

Pretty limited experience I guess, I'll have to see if I can get more exposure to digital amps. Interesting topic though.

Best Regards,
TerryO

BillB

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2008, 12:04 am »
I used an original SI T-amp, A winsome Mouse, and a heavily modified sure t-amp on my Jordans. They all do a very good job, especially for the monetary outlay.

I now use a pure class A Monarchy.

Irwin

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2008, 01:20 am »
Thanks to all who have replied.I'm still doing my homework on the subject.I've found some interesting info along
the way.There is a potential problem with Tripath amps being hooked up to subwoofer plate amps,thankfully there is a fix.There is also the issue of H.F. switching noise,which might be audible with some amp and speaker
combo's.The Nuforce website recommends that their Icon amp not be used with speakers that are more than
92 db@1 watt efficent.I've considered going tubes,but cost is a big factor right now.

nodiak

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2008, 04:14 am »
I use an LM3875 gainclone using speaker posts for sub amp connection with no problem. I've heard about the sub hookup issue with the tripaths, you might check with diyaudio.com Class D forum for some ideas if you haven't already.
I use the gainclone alot by itself but found with a tube pre it moved closer to the tube amp 3D life like atmosphere thing I like. I like the simplicity of the gc (and would probably like class d etc as well) but soundwise prefer tubes, especially with single drivers (Fostex, B200, Hemp, Coral). The gc does kick ass as a bass amp with 12-15" Eminence and other brand paper cone bass drivers.
Sometimes I get tired of the care and feeding of tubes and consider settling for the gc. Some of the folks at diyaudio have tweaked gc's beyond what i have and report great things with single drivers. Probably same goes with tripaths.
Don

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2008, 04:11 pm »
The type of results you will get with your single fullrange driver set up and the amplifier will depend on the characteristics of the drivers in your speakers in question. 

The higher sensitivity fullrange drivers such as Lowthers and also Fostexes with stiff paper cone and very little excursions will most likely sound better with tubed SET type of amplification.  The only time I have heard about conventional SS amplifiers that worked with them rather well were with Op chip based amplifiers such as 47 Labs and other variations, as the Channel Islands that was mentioned here.  Also, these specialty Nelson Pass designs seem to work rather well with purist single fullrange speaker designs without a crossover.  JLMs Fostex FTA-2000 speakers with the heavier and less sensitive Alnico drivers work wonders with the op chip type of amplification(I have the same speakers paired with a pair of Mono block Scott-Dixon/Nixon, op chip amplifiers and this pairing is a match made in heaven set up.)

Digital based amplification such as very powerful Class D etc..., do not seem to be producing good results in comparison to the two types above. 

You need to define what sort of speakers you have in order to truly assess the result. 

The strangest set up I have read about are BHL Lowthers paired with the 47 Labs Gaincards in an old Listener Magazine review.  According to the results, it was sublime. 

Paul K

wilsynet

« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2008, 12:05 am »
I'm using a battery powered Red Wine Audio 30.2.  It is excellent.

Chops

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2008, 04:23 am »
My brother bought an original SI T-amp when they first came out. A year after he had it, he gave it to me to use on my computer. Ever since I've had it, it has NEVER been powered off except if the electricity has gone out due to a lightening storm or if I was moving it around. It it totally stock and has powered little Bose 141's most of the time (hey, it's only for music and videos on the PC), but it has also powered Klipsch Cornwall's, KG4.2's, KG5.5's, and at one point, it ran a pair of Altec VOTT 511B horns with 902-8B drivers off of batteries.

I just figured it out a few minutes ago, but I would have to say this amp has right around 24,000 hours on it, 23,500 of which it was constantly powered up. I would imagine it's well broken-in by now. LOL

Anyway, I now have it at the heart of my little 2-ch system, with a KingRex Pre-Amp before it and a pair of Fostex FE103E's after it, playing full range. It sounds amazingly good for what it is and seems to have enough power for this small room. I do plan on upgrading it though to a KingRex T20 T-Rex amp in the near future.