SB3/Oppo Comparison

ecruz

SB3/Oppo Comparison
« on: 11 Sep 2008, 07:44 pm »
I have an SB3 with the digital only mod, a Bybee purifier, one of Wayne’s earlier power supplies, that he updated a year or so ago, one of Wayne’s dc cables and a high end power cable.  My files are Apple Lossless, sent to the SB3 via Ethernet, I send the digital signal from the SB3 to a stock TacT RCS 2.0 (DAC/Pre-Amp/Room Correction), then to a TRL D225 Amp and finally to my Vandersteen 3A Signatures.   I’ve always thought everything sounded pretty darn good.

Out of curiosity, I hooked up my completely stock (including the tiny power cable), Oppo 970 to the TacT.  Previously I had only used the Oppo for movies.  I connected the Oppo to the TacT via coaxial output.  I was very surprised to find that the Oppo sounded better than the SB3.  Not “leaps and bounds” better, but definitely better.  Even my non-audiophile wife thought the Oppo was better.  The biggest difference was that the bass was tighter and better defined.  Also, there was more “air & space” around the instruments/voices and everything seemed a little clearer.  I swapped the cables and inputs on the SB3 and Oppo just to make sure those weren’t the difference.

Because of the convenience of the SB3 and the fact that the difference wasn’t huge, I’m leaving the SB3 in the system.  But, how can a $150 universal player sound better than a highly modified and tweaked out SB3?  If a $150 player bests my SB3, how much better is a $1200-$1500 (about what I have into the SB3) player going to be?  Am I missing something here?  Any thoughts/advice?

Wayne1

Re: SB3/Oppo Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:13 pm »
That is an interesting comparison.

I also have an Oppo 970. This is one that I modded quite a bit with changes to power supply and digital output circuit.

If I compare the digital output of the Oppo to the digital out of any modded SB or DUET, I do prefer the SB.

I use flac files and everything is plugged into an Equi-Tech balanced power conditioner.

I have a couple of questions.

Have you listened to the SB with the Oppo unplugged? There is a minor possibility that the switching PS of the Oppo and the one in the TacT are injecting noise in the AC line.

Your description of tighter bass and more air and space from the Oppo sounds like the SB might be picking up some noise.

You are welcome to send the SB back to me to have me check it out. I have come up with some updates to the digital mod that may lower noise pickup.

Also try lowering the light level from the SB display. This is well known to create noise when it is turned up high.

ecruz

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:28 pm »
Thanks Wayne.  I'll try lowering the light and unplugging the Oppo.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:44 pm »
My Oppo 980 doesn't sound nearly as good as my SB3 with digital mods by Wayne. Not even close.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:29 am »
I have a SB3 and Oppo 980 (both stock), and observe that the digital out from the SB3 sounds way better than the Oppo 980. The SB3 uses Paul Hynes' PSU while the Oppo 980 uses its own stock PSU.

ecruz

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2008, 02:40 am »
Not sure which version of the software I'm using, but is there a preferred version that sounds best?

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2008, 03:03 am »
There are almost as many thoughts on what software sounds best as there are versions.

I am currently using SqueezeCenter 7.1 and firmware 101 and I'm very happy with the sound.

I have heard some folks aren't happy with 7.2 yet.

ecruz

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:53 pm »
Well, I unplugged the Oppo and dimmed the display, neither made a difference that I could hear.  Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2008, 03:14 pm by ecruz »

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:07 pm »
At this point, I do suggest you send at least the SB and power supply back to me for a check-up.

If you could include the AC cable, DC cable and digital cable, that would help.

Including the TacT would give me a better idea of what you are hearing.

ecruz

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2008, 01:05 am »
Wayne, before pulling everything apart and sending it back, I think I'll mess around with it a bit.  Should I try routing the DC cable and digital cable as far away from the TacT as possible?  The SB3 is on a shelf above the TacT, so those cables pass right by it.  Should I try separating the two components further?  Where should the power supply be in relation to everything else?  Right now it's on the bottom of the rack, next to and plugged into the power conditioner.  What else should I concentrate on?
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2008, 04:17 pm by ecruz »

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2008, 08:25 pm »
Everything sounds good as far as placement and routing.

You might want to try swapping different inputs to the Tact to see if that makes any difference.

If you can try the Oppo and SB in a different system, that might help to try to isolate what may be causing a problem.

You also might want to try running the power to the Tact into the wall and SB into the power conditioner and variations on that theme.

ecruz

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:34 am »
I figured I'd post up for anyone who was following this thread.

I ended up sending everything back to Wayne for him to check out. 

First off, my power cable was wired incorrectly.  Wayne fixed that for me.  The sound still wasn't up to his standards, so he made of couple of more changes to the SB3.  I've had it back for a week or so now and there is no comparison, it blows the Oppo away. 

While I was trying to figure out what was going on with the SB3, I purchased a used McCormack UDP-1 (universal player) to try out.  The McCormack retails for $3500 and is way better than the Oppo.  Well, after getting the newly updated SB3 back and comparing it to the McCormack over the last few days, I can honestly say, the SB3 is just as good, if not better than the McCormack.  I really could not pick one over the other.  Of course the SB3 is much, much more convenient.  The McCormack is already up for sale.

Thanks Wayne!

kbuzz3

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:27 pm »
FYI i had a wayne modded oppo for quite some time.  While it died and i sent it to wayne to extricate the baybee for a SB3 mod, i can say with confidence that the modded SB3 wayne returned was light years ahead of the oppo.

for video the oppo was the best ive seen on my modest sammy dlp.  Too bad the build quality is average. But then again the "price be right"