SB3 Newb Question re volume control

kbuzz3

SB3 Newb Question re volume control
« on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:39 am »
Hi all, just got a bolder digi modded SB3.  Im running it into my dac to pre amp.
I see that on my laptop the player settings has a one through 10 volume setting. (squeezecenter?)  I also see that there is a vol. control on my remote.  Is there a sweet spot that folks have found using the vol. setting on the web interface. eg sound differential between setting it low on the cpu and jacking up the vol on the remote or vis versa.  Thanks i did do a search and cant seem to find anything.

PS thanks wayne for getting this out quickly....

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: SB3 Newb Question re volume control
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:40 am »
They both control the same thing.  The remote is just finer steps.

Bryan

anthony a.

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2008, 05:13 am »
not to highjack this thread, but i noticed that with sc7 i cannot make my changes save and stay.  specifically, i set the volume to fixed (b/c i have my sb3 going to a dac), and i still continues to allow me to change the volume through the slim remote.  i never had this problem with the older slimserver software.  anyone else have this happen?

mats_rickard

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2008, 05:21 pm »
I think this is rather confusing  :?.

When using an external DAC, I use a Xindak DAC-5, which settings should be used and how?

In SqueezeCenter, there are the following settings:

"Digital Volume Control": <-- what is the correct setting?
"Preamp Volume Control": <-- what is the correct setting?
"Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain": <-- what is the correct setting?

Regards  :) / stargazer

kyrill

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:46 pm »
I think this is rather confusing  :?.
for digital out only ( as i do it)
When using an external DAC, I use a Xindak DAC-5, which settings should be used and how?

In SqueezeCenter, there are the following settings:

"Digital Volume Control": <-- what is the correct setting? set to zero (mute)
"Preamp Volume Control": <-- what is the correct setting? this must be analogue out, set to zero/mute
"Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain": <-- what is the correct setting? this is a diff function, it tries to compensate for different loudness as recorded on cd played with it, but no does not want it, so set to zero, off

Regards  :) / stargazer

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:02 am »
mats_rickard / stargazer

The SB3 removes information from the stream as the volume is turned down. This may be slightly system (convenience) dependant, but I would suggest you turn your SB volume 90% - 100% full on. That is unless you have another volume remote "down stream" you're using. In that case, turn the SB on 100% (zero removed bits) and let the other remote perform volume function.

By the way, I'm using digital outs to a DAC that has it's own remote.

Bob