Magnepan 1.7 White color

rpmartins

Magnepan 1.7 White color
« on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:47 pm »
Hello!
My living room has large white baseboards and beige walls which made me think of white colored Magnepan 1.7.
The dealer only has a pair of black ones and told me the white are awful. I tried the demo pair (with dark fabric) at home and they sounded better than they looked  :).
As he doesn´t have the white fabric to show me I´d like to read your opinion about this color. Is it pure white like it looks on the magnepan´s website? Is it a kind of dirty white or a mix with another tone of white or color?
Hoping to read from who knows them, I thank you in advance.

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
Re: Magnepan 1.7 White color
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:10 pm »
I prefer the off white fabric over the black. Call Magnepan, they will send you samples.

josh358

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm »
I like both the white and black. I think the one that works best depends on your decor, white seemed to go better in my room. I read somewhere once that the white fabric is the most acoustically transparent that they sell, too. OTOH, the black can look cool and it doesn't show dirt. So it really depends.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm »
A paint sample would be somewhere between antique white and ivory. 

OldFaithful

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2012, 12:41 am »
Just remember don't ever vacuum your Maggie panels especially if you own the ribbon models... I've went back and forth with black and white, in the 3 Maggies I've owned. The black looks imposing, the white not so much. I really like the cherry trim with white however.

rpmartins

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:06 am »
Thank you all.
As I thought and according to SteveFord their white off isn´t a shiny white.
I sent a letter to Magnepan (as I can´t find an email adress) asking for a white off sample.
Hope they attend me.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:21 am »
I think the white frame on those speakers are sweet looking. My favorite style though is the 3.7 with those racing stripes, what I call the partitions. In fact, at least in pictures I think the 3.7 might be the best looking production speaker of all manufacturers. They look futuristic and that seperator "stripe" just looks hot.

There is a big way to improve the look, and it's to not terminate them in those ... particular feet. If you could somehow perch them without feet visible (maybe with very long, slightly splayed, feet behind the speaker). What cool looking speakers.

rw@cn

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:33 am »
I think the white frame on those speakers are sweet looking. My favorite style though is the 3.7 with those racing stripes, what I call the partitions. In fact, at least in pictures I think the 3.7 might be the best looking production speaker of all manufacturers. They look futuristic and that seperator "stripe" just looks hot.

There is a big way to improve the look, and it's to not terminate them in those ... particular feet. If you could somehow perch them without feet visible (maybe with very long, slightly splayed, feet behind the speaker). What cool looking speakers.

Mye stealth stands

Jeff Ward

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2012, 11:21 am »
I like my white 1.7s. Much less imposing in the room. I don't know how to get an image to show here, but you can see them at this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thispublicaddress/5458917603/

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:56 pm »
I really like the cherry trim with white however.
That is what I chose on my 3.7´s  :thumb:. I also like the black with alu silver.

rpmartins

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2012, 04:27 pm »
Jeff,
Looking at your photo seems like the interior of the speaker is more visible than in the black version, but the speaker for itself is less intrusive in the room. Are the sides made of wood or white plastic?

Jeff Ward

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2012, 10:32 pm »
Jeff,
Looking at your photo seems like the interior of the speaker is more visible than in the black version, but the speaker for itself is less intrusive in the room. Are the sides made of wood or white plastic?

They are wood. The visibility of the interior is due to the backlight from the window. Before the 1.7s, I had MMGs in black and the interior was just as visible in this room. The white is vastly better, imho, making them dissapear visually almost as well as they dissapear sonically.

rpmartins

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:46 pm »
The white is vastly better, imho, making them dissapear visually almost as well as they dissapear sonically.
  :thumb:

Does anyone know an email address that I could use to check if Magnepan received my letter requesting a white off sample?

berni

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2012, 05:48 pm »
  :thumb:

Does anyone know an email address that I could use to check if Magnepan received my letter requesting a white off sample?
Try this service@magnepan.com  :thumb:
They all have very "normal" emails. :wink:,, if you need more info...
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2012, 07:03 pm by berni »

rpmartins

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:21 pm »
Try this service@magnepan.com  :thumb:
They all have very "normal" emails. :wink:,, if you need more info...

Email sent and very kindly answered.
Waiting for the sample now.
Thanks berni.

jMelvin

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:21 am »
I have a pair of MMGs in off-white with black trim in my cream colored living room and love the look. I thought the black (which I like) would look too imposing.