Apple equipment integration with cars

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Apple equipment integration with cars
« on: 25 May 2011, 01:35 am »
I work in the service department of a car dealer and have constant problems with folks integrating their various music players and Blutooth devices to the cars. In most cases, problems turn out to be issues with the customer (knowledge) or third party equipment rather than a failed component in the car itself.

That being said, I'd like to hear from the 'i' crowd.

Seems to be a rash recently of folks unable to play tunes in the their cars. For the most part in the past I wasn't paying much attension to the "i" device they were using until today.

A fellow said his iPod worked last time he used it (last fall).
For Christmas, he got an iTouch. He's never been able to get it to work in his car (USB connection).
In his hand, I noticed an iPhone. I asked if he had any music stored on his phone. "Yes", he said.
I asked if he ever tried to use the iPhone to play tunes in the car. "No". He'd never thought about that.
So we went out and wired it up. Worked great.

So...His iPod works. The iPhone works. The iTouch does not.

Obviously, the car is fine. What's the deal? I can't convince him the problem is with the iTouch and that the car is fine. He's hellbent on blaming the car and it should be a recall....  :roll:

New firmware, different format on the songs? What?

Any ideas?

Thanks fellas.  :thumb:
Bob

TomS

Re: Apple equipment integration with cars
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 02:58 am »
Maybe different versions of iOS (Apple's operating system) on the devices and incompatibility with the car interface?

I have an MDI interface on my 2010 VW and our various family idevices sometimes give it fits, skipping in songs, etc. Lots of firmware upgrades on the car side seemed to improve it lately. I use Bluetooth streaming instead or plug a USB drive into it most of the time now.

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2011, 03:03 am »
Bob, you didn't mention the interface between the device and car. Dock connector to power/RCA out or something else?

And from the first gen Touch to the 3G iphone the dock connector pin order is different. my old charger/audio out works on my Touch but not the iPhone. A screen shows up stating that.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2011, 03:54 am »
Touch doesn't work in my car either.  I'm pretty sure they note that in the manual somewhere.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2011, 05:44 pm »
Thanks guys.

Paul, the interface is the USB cord.

I'm wondering if it a compatibility issue and that some cars will work and some wont?

Bob