Something for the car guys

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"

mcgsxr

Re: Something for the car guys
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:15 pm »
Uhm, Wow  :eyebrows:!

Just goes to show you I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of money, I had not considered developing the actual garage spaces AS living spaces.

I have long dreamt of an outbuilding, 6 car garage on the main floor, HT and billiards on the second story.

Guess I need to dream bigger!!!

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm »
I really like the one with the lone vintage BMW coupe.

Some of these... sorta reminds me of those people who dress their dogs up.  I really question there priorities in life.

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:59 pm »
I really like the one with the lone vintage BMW coupe.

Some of these... sorta reminds me of those people who dress their dogs up.  I really question there priorities in life.

I can see having a nice place to store your cars, and also to work on them if you're so inclined. I don't understand why you'd want a kitchen or bar in the garage though. Why not just eat or drink in the house?

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2010, 07:33 pm »
I think that would be classified a disgusting display of wealth :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2010, 07:42 pm »
  Cool stuff. It is their hard earned money right. To each their own. Just shows what hard work can get you if your willing to do it.

charles

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:05 pm »
(Almost?) nobody actually earns that much money. At best,they have worked themselves into a position where their compensation becomes obscenely disproportional to what they can possibly contribute to a company or a society.

At worst it's inheritance from possibly shady means that simply grows from generation to generation since the tax burden on those who earn their wealth by sitting on their boat and calling in buy/sell orders is less that what the average guy pays for an honest day's work. (The Warren Buffet vs. his secretary's taxes, for example).

I'd feel like such an ass if I came home to a house like that every day.

-Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
Damn......... :duh:
I just wanted to show off cool stuff

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm »
Sorry - It sure is cool stuff.

I'm guilty of doing the "Anyone who drive faster than me is a lunatic and anyone who drives slower than me is an idiot"

Drool on...

-Mike

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:56 pm »
I like the glass house with the Berlinetta Boxer. If I lived there I would not throw any stones.

When I was a teenager, there was an old guy in my home town who drove a purple one around town all the time. He was certainly enjoying his money.

I don't get the guy with the Maserati fetish though, not my thing I guess.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:03 pm »
There might be a little irony here as there is some offense taken about gratuitous displays of wealth through motorsport, but I recall plenty of well received threads about outrageous audio rooms!

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is over the top, but it is fun to look at!

I liked the one that looked like an enourmous proper workspace - all that task lighting, tool trays, and the motorcycle did not hurt either...    :thumb:

wshuff

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:01 pm »
The guy with the Boxer in his living room is currently in a dispute over the bridge built to get the car there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-brentwood-garage5-2010feb05,0,4655518.story

Seeing this reminds me to check my PowerBall and MegaMillions tickets.  Sorry guys, but if I win, I'm going to start my own similar car collection, but I promise the audio room and home theater will be equally impressive.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:20 pm »
Am I the only one who thought of Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I saw this pic?

http://www.leenks.com/gallery1076-22.htm

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:33 pm »
The same thing occurred to me, Stu. In fact, I wondered if it was the same garage.

wshuff

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:54 pm »
No, it's not the same house from Ferris.  If you check the link I posted above, that house is in California, and the owner just recently built a bridge that allows access to his living room from street level.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:01 pm »
Bob, which one is yours?  It's hard to tell from the pics.

Dan :green:

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:07 pm »
The Ferris house is for sale and is on the North Shore area of Chicago.  I think it's Glencoe or Highland Park.  All of those areas kind of blend in to me.  I've seen this place in person and it looks much smaller than it does in the pictures. 

http://raisingtheroof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/ferris-bueller-house-on-the-market/

price reduced to $1.8M.  Here is a virtual tour:

http://tours5.vht.com/Viewer/PhotoGallery.aspx?ListingID=1193830&Style=IDX

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:06 pm »
An interesting place to be sure - but, for this crowd, looks like a tough place to get good sound - lots of reflective surfaces, so I guess I will have to keep looking!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »
Bob, which one is yours?  It's hard to tell from the pics.

Dan :green:
The one with all the Chevys and neon signs.  8)

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:47 pm »
An interesting place to be sure - but, for this crowd, looks like a tough place to get good sound - lots of reflective surfaces, so I guess I will have to keep looking!

I agree.  That place screams for a B&O system.   :green: