« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:51 am »

Berndt

Re: new bike
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:53 am »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:58 am »
That damn bike looks like pure sex, Bill  :thumb:

Frickin' gorgeous it is....a red Italian bike most often is  :)

John

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:04 am »
Nice!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:05 am »
Yeah, but my '82 Goldwing is still on the road, and I put several 1000 mile trips on her this year :inlove:.  How many 26 year old Ducatis are on the road and dependable :scratch:?

But I have to admit, it is damn fine looking and probably screams down the road.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:08 am »
Beautiful bike.

Be careful out there guys.  I had a friend who killed himself a few months ago on a Harley.  Hit the gas on a curve (on purpose) but then hit the curb...then a small tree, then a bigger tree, then a telephone pole.

He was wearing a helmet...he had a closed casket funeral.

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:10 am »

The fork needs work, and I need to model the chassis with my Tony Foale software.
I'd like it to steer a bit better on the gas...
This is a bike that I'd like to build, the reality that someone did it for me is a great boone, albiet duc aftermarket parts prices are insane.
Already did a homade shifter lever because I ride with mx boots.
The motor is very satisfying and the 90 Degree "L" twin runs smoother than I expected.
It cruises at 80mph just fine.
Next up I am working on a stand alone FI/Ignition system to give me the proper control of everything.
It is a sexy bitch...
Bill

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:12 am »
All of us that ride are aware that you really have to be more than a bit paranoid, and that "pushing the limits" is for kids that think that they are going to live forever.  Safety should be the absolute #1 concern of every biker.

Berndt

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:18 am »
forgive me if I have represented myself in a less than ideal light.
I always wear 100% leathers and mx boots along with an ARAI full face and alpinestar gloves.
Not the brands, just want to be squared away.

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:21 am »
BTW, I watched my older sister die in ICU from a motorcycle accident.
I hate to temper this thread any further, just want to say that I know the obvious implications of riding a street bike.
Forgive me if this sounds preachy in any way.
regards, bill

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2008, 03:33 am »
First of all....SWEET bike! That's just art man.....Ducati is sick.

I ride...although I have no current ride :) and it boggles me when I see someone in flip flops, shorts and a tank top on a bike. It's a rough world out there for cyclists, both motorized and pedaled, and it's not about being cool.

It angers me when I get passed or see a motorcyclist weave between vehicles on the highway as it gives responsible riders a bad name.

Kudos to those of you that ride responsibly, full leathers or not. Be safe.

Mark

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2008, 05:50 am »
Likewise, I didn't mean to preach.  You've got a really nice bike. Enjoy it and ride safe. :D

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2008, 07:17 am »
when I saw "bike" I was hoping "moto." I say bike too and my friends are always confused cause I have 2 pedal bikes as well.

Very very cool bill! I may need to stop by to check to see if you have it cabled properly. (that's a joke...bill builds motors and stuff)

Not sure what made you need to defend your riding safely. There are tons of us(sane) out there on the road.

cheers, ed

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:23 pm »
It is a sexy bitch...
YES IT IS !! aa

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:56 pm »
V-twin guy here, I must admit though that is one Goooood lookin ride ! I do like the 'naked' look, if that is the correct terminology ?

Ride smart....ride safe !

lazydays

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2008, 03:40 pm »
This has been a blast, BTW.
Brilliant motorcycle, IMHO.

my youngest son had a 750RS-S for awhile. The bike was really fast. He sold it for almost two grand more than he paid for it. Then bought a Superglide in that pearl green color, and sold it three weeks later for $1200 more than he paid for it new. He now has a Roadking with about every doodad they make for one. But alas he's got a for sale sign on it with a roadster in the back of his mind
gary

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2008, 08:22 pm »
Yeah, but my '82 Goldwing is still on the road, and I put several 1000 mile trips on her this year :inlove:.  How many 26 year old Ducatis are on the road and dependable :scratch:?

But I have to admit, it is damn fine looking and probably screams down the road.
i love my '78 ducati darmah - still runs like a champ.  but, i don't put too many miles on it; i have averaged only ~1k/year since i got it about ten years ago.  most mileage goes on my hotted up '95 buell s2.  but, since i started carpooling w/my g/f almost two years ago, i don't put much mileage on that any more either.   :?

the ducati hypermotard is one of a wery few bikes i presently lust after & want in my garage - sweet!   :thumb:

doug s.

Berndt

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2008, 11:59 pm »
I purchased this bike from a coworker about a month ago.
He bought it when they first came out another 11 months ago.
It had 900 miles on it. I have doubled that figure.
The bike is a strange amalgam of dirtbike riding position and street bike chassis feel. It is really nice to be able to cruise your motard look alike @75~85mph with a stable feel and low vibes. I have had husky, husaberg and honda motard conversions through the years and while the Duck is not as lithe as a single it also is not as high strung.
The euro 3 compliance though makes tuning a holistic endeavor, either leave it alone or change everything.
My first/last duck was a '68 scrambler 250, it was also a jewel.
I have to eat some crow though and take back everything I used to say about ducati guys being a crowd I wouldn't join.
The hyper is a bike that I would build but don't have to. It is the closest bike to being right that I have ever owned.
You have to see the youtube of Ruben Xaus burning the backtire around a corner while waving to the camera.
I met Denise my wife because we both had Moto-Morinis, talk about a match made in heaven! She has supported buying a bike 100% and wanted to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. I was getting ready to buy a used BMW HP2 and convert it to motard but it would have cost me more $$$.
I also got a 6 year extended warranty.
Perhaps we should plan an audio circle ride? Or, track day?
FWIW, I was Doug Henry's crew chief in '03 the first year of AMA supermotard racing.
ironically after that season I sold all my bikes because I was sick of wrenching. I got the bug again and it has been very satisfying.
This bike is a daily driver, my wife drives the car now. I look forward to pounding quite a few miles on this bike.
If anyone wants to ride it just bring a helmet over...
Maybe we'll have a stereo bike party?
Regards, Bill

Berndt

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2008, 12:01 am »
AMA life member as well. 8)