Clarinet Unmasked!

hagtech

Clarinet Unmasked!
« on: 28 Feb 2004, 09:47 pm »
The Clarinet 1/2-kit linestage is almost here.  Final prototype up and running just fine.  Need to order production boards now.  Unfortunately, that takes about a month, so availability will be about April 1st (no fooling).  Meanwhile, it will give me time to write up an assembly manual.

The Clarinet is the first of my new "Constructor" series of tube components.  All will be available as either a 1/2-kit or fully assembled.  They are optimized for both easy assembly and a high level of sonics.  Of course, it will be easy to substitute your favorite components or other upgrades.

The Constructor series will all share a common chassis.  It's a little expensive ($85), but is made of very good quality aluminum plates and extrusions.  Available in both clear (shown) and black anodize.  The metal is easy to work and has a very nice finish.  You an also build into a standard Hammond-style 12x8x2 chassis.  

One neat feature is the ability to stack chassis to make a rack.  In the above photo you'll notice a Cornet phono stage under the Clarinet.  Yes, I am remaking the Cornet to fit into the new chassis style.  Same great circuit, a little easier to build.  I will also continue to sell the Cornet "classic".  Eventually, there will be a DAC and monoblocks so you can make a full system rack out of Constructor components.  All tubed.  All DIY.  

Both the Clarinet and Cornet2 should be available around April 1st.  Beyond that I am introducing a new series of low-cost solid-state components.  First up will be the Bugle Pro and FryKleaner Pro.  

These are essentially just the existing 1/2-kits built into a chassis.  I will offer instructions for DIY.  They will also be available fully assembled.  The Bugle Pro features variable EQ so it is also compatible with all pre-RIAA curves.  It has a mono switch on rear.  It uses both the standard Bugle and Power Supply circuit boards.  

The FryKleaner Pro adds an assortment of output connectors to make it easier to burn in speaker cables, power cords, digital cables, etc., in addition to regular RCA interconnects.  It also includes an internal iRIAA Filter board to generate outputs for both MM and MC phono stages.  This versatile machine will then burn cables, or amps, or stages.  

Another project is a spin-off from the Bugle Pro.  It's the "Monogram", a Cornet-based monophonic phono stage with variable EQ for 78s.  I will publish plans for it shortly.  You can DIY this using a standard Cornet circuit board.  The design uses one channel as phono, the other to make a preamp with volume control.  The input tube sections are paralleled for lower noise.  It takes a bit of wiring, but you get a really nice phono stage with volume control for a nice stand-alone solution.  Gain is 50dB, so it works best with MM.  The above shown prototype will be featured in an article I hope to publish in audioXpress.

More to unmask later.

jh :)

mgalusha

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2004, 10:18 pm »
Very cool new stuff Jim, I love the chassis of the constructor series. Looks like you have been very busy getting all this out. Of course I gotta ask, will there be an octal version of the Clarinet? I'm not ready to build a new preamp right now but someone will ask about this so it might as well be me. :-)

Mike G.

penance

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2004, 02:40 pm »
Looking good :)

I was about to order a new Cornet board as i have managed to make mine un-workable for more soldering :roll:

How long would the wait be for the new style Cornet 1/2 kit?

gurevise

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 01:06 am »
I'll second that,
I'm planning to build the second Cornet and would love to know if next version is going to be out soon. When ?

hagtech

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:35 am »
New Cornet2 is essentially the same circuit.  Just made to fit tightly into new chassis.  A little easier to build.  Also uses the "universal" 370BX power transformer, which runs a lot cooler.  Cornet2 will run $125 and be available in about two months.  Cornet Classic will remain $95.

Yes, someday, I will post an octal modification for the Clarinet.  Same idea where you use wires to connect sockets.  The circuit is simple enough with few restrictions, so it can be modified for a number of various tubes.

library

Nice series of products
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2004, 10:27 am »
My solder rolls start shinning!  :lol:

Can I purchase the nice chassis with cornet 2 PCB after one month then? Clarinet will be a nice replacement for my old preamp!! :!:

Brian Clark

• http://www.sempermusica.com
Monogram
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 11:14 am »
I appreciate that you are going to publish the Monogram article in AudioXpress but is there any chance that you can share, say, the octal version schematic with us here Jim? I was about to commit myself to building Diego Nardi's MONOphono from Sound Practices.
Thanks.

Brian.

gurevise

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:57 am »
I hope new Cornet is as quet as Classic one.
And all gound loops problems in heater supply are fixed.
What about current source option for output follower ?
Will it be designed in?

I see a different arrangement of inputs. Very interesting. I hope this will not cause more noise or interference.

Sergey

hagtech

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2004, 05:02 am »
New Cornet Classic boards ($95) just arrived.  I implemented the hum fix on-board and added hole locations to make the CCS easier to install.  The Cornet2 ($125) will come standard with CCS (resistor optional).  

I will post Monogram schematic shortly.  The standard octal Cornet schematic has already been published at: www.hagtech.com/pdf/cornetoctal.pdf

Clarintet and Cornet2 will be available as DIY 1/2-kits.  That means you buy chassis directly from manufacturer, not me.  Then you have to do the metalwork yourself.  That's why these machines are such a bargain!  The large holes can be made using punches or a unibit step drill.  Chassis are available in natural and black color anodizes.  Paint if you want.

Tone Deaf

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2004, 06:54 pm »
Is that a Hammond 370BX on the Clarinet?  If so I'll get one in ready.  They take a while getting to Wales!

Can't wait to have a go at building it.

Cheers.
GLYN

hagtech

Clarinet Unmasked!
« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2004, 07:16 am »
Yes, I upgraded to the 370BX as standard on all of the new "C" series.  Except for the monoblock, which needs more power.  The 300 series makes worldwide ac voltages much easier to deal with and it runs quite a bit cooler.