Ncore demand peaked?

Photon46

Re: Ncore demand peaked?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2014, 11:10 am »
Typically 50% of retail to move, higher you will have to wait for a sale.....

That's pretty much the name of the game unless you have a commodity so hot that normal supply/demand is out of kilter. I've seldom seen an audio product maintain so much cachet and desirability that you can ask 80% of retail for long periods after its initial release. I've seen a number of products get a stellar review in one of the big audio magazines and the first couple of used examples that pop up on Audiogon will go for 80% of retail. That never lasts for long. Not trying to be harsh, but I think anytime someone choses casework color that is a outside the norm, resale pricing suffers. Look at the closeout sales for NuForce products, it's always the copper colored chassis that ends up on sale, never black or silver.

genjamon

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:22 pm »
Well, I had to take a beating, but i finally sold them.

mrhyfy

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:28 pm »
That's pretty much the name of the game unless you have a commodity so hot that normal supply/demand is out of kilter. I've seldom seen an audio product maintain so much cachet and desirability that you can ask 80% of retail for long periods after its initial release. I've seen a number of products get a stellar review in one of the big audio magazines and the first couple of used examples that pop up on Audiogon will go for 80% of retail. That never lasts for long. Not trying to be harsh, but I think anytime someone choses casework color that is a outside the norm, resale pricing suffers. Look at the closeout sales for NuForce products, it's always the copper colored chassis that ends up on sale, never black or silver.

The w4s dac2 sure held its value for a long time,,come to think of it most W4S products do hold their value..

RichardS

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:21 pm »
Congratulations on the sale, genjamon. Sometimes a lot depends on how patient you are, plus it's just after Christmas and a lots of folks still have empty wallets. I think your pricing was reasonable.

The 50% rule may apply to regular commercial products, but I believe the NCores are different (as DIY projects) as apparently is the Job that's also mentioned here. I may have to eat these words if I ever wish to sell mine, but these are outstanding amps for such little money -- just look at what the commercial (more powerful and refined) NCores are going for -- and they're getting great reviews.

Value of course is always in the eye of the beholder. I purchased a used pair of NCores last year, with the Kraemer (Aluminati) cases and paid double your asking price. Maybe I should have haggled with the seller, but what can I say -- I liked the cases. For $2800, I can't think of a pair of amps I'd rather own, new or used. I buy 90% of my audio used, but this is different. You have to compare it to what else is available at the same price. If these NCores were being sold through commercial vendors, they'd cost a lot more, and this needs to be figured into the equation. These aren't for everyone (They're not tube amps, or even Class A) and some shy away from non-commercial models, but some of us appreciate the extra value.

I think these are good times for audiophiles, where top (well, close to top) performance can be had without breaking the bank, esp. with amps and DACs (love the BMC PureDac paired with the NCore). Hope you like your TRL....

a.wayne

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2014, 06:59 pm »

FMA products and original Audio Note are the exceptions .......

a.wayne

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2014, 07:01 pm »
Congratulations on the sale, genjamon. Sometimes a lot depends on how patient you are, plus it's just after Christmas and a lots of folks still have empty wallets. I think your pricing was reasonable.

The 50% rule may apply to regular commercial products, but I believe the NCores are different (as DIY projects) as apparently is the Job that's also mentioned here. I may have to eat these words if I ever wish to sell mine, but these are outstanding amps for such little money -- just look at what the commercial (more powerful and refined) NCores are going for -- and they're getting great reviews.

Value of course is always in the eye of the beholder. I purchased a used pair of NCores last year, with the Kraemer (Aluminati) cases and paid double your asking price. Maybe I should have haggled with the seller, but what can I say -- I liked the cases. For $2800, I can't think of a pair of amps I'd rather own, new or used. I buy 90% of my audio used, but this is different. You have to compare it to what else is available at the same price. If these NCores were being sold through commercial vendors, they'd cost a lot more, and this needs to be figured into the equation. These aren't for everyone (They're not tube amps, or even Class A) and some shy away from non-commercial models, but some of us appreciate the extra value.

I think these are good times for audiophiles, where top (well, close to top) performance can be had without breaking the bank, esp. with amps and DACs (love the BMC PureDac paired with the NCore). Hope you like your TRL....

Still waiting to hear that Ncore magic, havent met a soul with one yet to hear are you guys buying blind ...?

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2014, 07:03 am »
It is hard not to sell something on ebay with over 250 million shoppers from all over the world. :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2014, 11:39 am »
Still waiting to hear that Ncore magic, havent met a soul with one yet to hear are you guys buying blind ...?

Do you own the NCores yourself so that you could evaluate them in your own room with your other audio pieces?  If so, I respect the first part of your repy.  I am not sure what you mean by the second part... :scratch:

I heard a pair of NCores on a tour set up by Jason with his own pair and after hearing them, I decided to go ahead and purchase a pair of my own.  Depending on what you pair them with which in my case was either a TAP passive preamp (most of the time) or running my Exasound E20 MKIII direct, it was pretty special.

I have recently sold my NCores (lasted about 7 hours on AC with over 7 interested parties that PM'd me) as I have bought and been running a JOB225 and prefer it to the NCores.

That being said, I certainly would not hesitate to pick up some used NCores or even build Hypex's other class D offerings for a future HT project.

Regards.

Randy

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm »
It is hard not to sell something on ebay with over 250 million shoppers from all over the world. :thumb:

Well it might be if you have 250 million sellers, lol.  I've no idea what the number is, but with each seller having multiple items there's a lot of competition and a lot of unsold items.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm »
Demand for Ncore has definitely peaked at my house - I have one pair of mono blocks - and that's all I need.

It appears to me that a high percentage of those who investigate the Ncore amps buy them. For everyone else, ignorance is bliss.

Ncore provides a strong bang for the buck. I was very happy with the sound of my Yamaha A-S2000 when Jason's Ncores arrived on their tour. I pulled out an old  Reference Line passive preamp I've owned for 20 years and hooked it up to the Ncores. That was all I needed. I ordered my own kits immediately and commissioned Mike Galusha to build them for me. Mike had a pair of non-working Parasound HCA 1201A amps sitting around which he offered to use in my build. I accepted. When my amps arrived, I was delighted to see that they shipped in the original Parasound packaging. Way cool!

I've owned many amps in my day including the likes of Goldmund, Rowland, Classe, Atmasphere, Pass, McIntosh, etc. None of it did any more for me than my $1900 Ncore investment. Added benefits beyond sound and price/performance ratio include economical to run, cool temp., compact, and lightweight.

Demand may have peaked for the moment but I think it will level out to a constant rate due to the fact that more and more people will catch on the benefits Hypex is providing in this package.

cab

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:59 pm »
 :thumb: +1!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:12 pm »
Still waiting to hear that Ncore magic, haven't met a soul with one yet to hear are you guys buying blind ...?

I'm with you. Curious as well. Using a Hybrid class"D" now. Price is intriguing love the Aluminati cases. Well maybe someday.

charles

jonbee

« Reply #32 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:21 pm »
:thumb: +1!
I heard Jason's tour pair in my system and immediately built mine about 18 months ago. I replaced a very good modded PS Audio Icepower integrated. I've never had a second thought, or had any desire to try something else. They are transparent and sonically invisible to a very high degree, with great low end control and have been 100% reliable. I particularly appreciate the protective circuitry which handles faults flawlessly.
Whether you will have as much luck as I've had is difficult to say, but buying a used amp at today's prices is a very low risk way to check them out.

dpatters

« Reply #33 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:43 pm »
I am approaching 100 hours on my ncore amps from Aluminati.  I know I'm not all the way there as far as break in but the sound is very open, resolving, and transparent.  These amps get a reall goog grip on the bottom end and are incredibly quiet. I've gone from el34 based class A/B to Wyred 4 Sound XS500 class d to the ncores and am very happy with the decision.

Don

genjamon

« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:47 pm »
Ok, we all know at least the DIY Ncore modules are quite a large bargain and take Class D technology to another level.  The title of my original post, however, was about whether demand had crossed a threshold where it's on the decline, and thus second-hand market pricing takes a plunge.  It's clear from my vantage that's the case.  If the going rate is now $1200-1250 for a pair of built-out amps, that's only about 65% of what it cost to create them.  That's clearly a sign of the demand ebbing and second-hand market cooling.  It's to say they still aren't bargains or anything, it's just that they're not the new kid on the block anymore, and those who have wanted them have most likely obtained them at this point, so they're harder to move is all.  I clearly hadn't grasped that shift in my for-sale advert, so my amps weren't moving.  Price them right, like Rklein did, and they move quickly.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:18 pm »
I am in the market for some ncores . I am surprised at the prices for used almost matching what I can pay to have a new one built .$1550 all fees and shipping included . So to see $1400 -$1500 on used ones why would I not buy new ?

drumiha

« Reply #36 on: 2 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm »
I am in the market for some ncores . I am surprised at the prices for used almost matching what I can pay to have a new one built .$1550 all fees and shipping included . So to see $1400 -$1500 on used ones why would I not buy new ?

Very good point !

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #37 on: 2 Apr 2014, 10:58 pm »
I would imagine that it is in decline, now that enough people have actually heard them.