Sound quality of BDP-3 compared to BDP-1

Socal77

Sound quality of BDP-3 compared to BDP-1
« on: 8 Apr 2019, 02:44 pm »
I have used a BDP-1 since July, 2011.  It still works great, but I am wondering if I would get significantly better sound quality from a BDP-3.  What is the experience of Bryston owners who have used both?

docder

Re: Sound quality of BDP-3 compared to BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2019, 07:56 pm »
This is a question I have been asking myself for a similar number of years, if not longer.  I have almost opted for a BDP-3 demo a number of times but I have always drawn back as the BDP-3 is so expensive in the UK, and the BDP-1 still does most things well and still sound superb, even in comparison to the gear around it being updated a number of times. But now that Qobuz is on the BDP I am taking it as the added plus to go for the demo. Tomorrow is the day, my long time audio dealer is to bring a BDP-3 over to the house. I hope to report what I hear later in the week.

Grant Hill

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2019, 09:51 pm »
Please let us know your opinion!  :thumb:

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2019, 01:44 am »
Yes, please report back.

I remember reading a comparison recently and found it.  The depths are astonishing: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184908/how-my-bryston-bdp-3-digital-player-sounds-to-me-a-review

Socal77

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2019, 07:36 pm »
Thanks for the link!

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:44 am »
Hi!

I have had a BDP-1, BDP-2 with the ESI Jusli@ bord and now a BDP-2 with the BUC (IAD) bord. If your BDP-1 si working fine and is powerful enough for your needs in terms of size of your music library, then I really do not recommend an upgrade. Truly.

However, if your music library is too large for your BDP-1, then you might want to consider an upgrade.

If we are talking about audio quality alone, for all intents and purposes, there is no difference. I have had both BDP-1 and BDP-2 stacked on top of one another and spent several days intensively listening to music I am intimately familiar with and I could not positively differentiate between the two players. When I say "intimately familiar" with the music I listened to, I am thinking about studio albums our orchestra made two decades ago. I was in the live room playing, I was in the studio room during the mixinig stage and I Know each and every musician by name, type and maker of instrument as well as the model of microphone used to capture the sound. I Know each and every little quirk and mistake done during the original performance. It doesn't get closer to the original performance than that. Don't think of this as bragging, I am merely stating facts and the facts tell me upgrading to a more recent BDP model is a waste of Money - if we are talking about audio quality only.

I wish I could have kept my BDP-1 as it worked perfectly otherwise. BDP-2/3 models produce way too much heat to leave them on all the time, the switch-mode PSU driving the display can produce a faint hihj-pitched tone coming from the machine, the internal battery has a limited lifetime and can prevent the machine from booting properly. They are more complex Machines, if more comprehensive, and this obviously means more things can go wrong.

In the end, do not forget BDP is a transport, nothing more. The DAC itself has a far greater impact on audio quality. In terms of jitter alone, the point where it becomes critical is the input receiver chip inside your DAC. No transport can compensate for the errors that might happen down the chain, inside the input receiver. Fortunately, most manufacturers have come to understand this so buying a high-performance chip almost certainly guarantees jitter-free operation. To be quite honest, some up-samplers make a far greater difference than the quality of the transport.

Following this logic, I think I can safely say there is no difference between a BUC-quipped BDP-2 and BDP-3 because if BDP-1 and BUC-equipped BDP-2 sound the same while having completely different audio boards at the same time, then what is there else to say.

Hope this helps!
Antun

P.S. The topic of digital audio transports intrigues me and I have several modified DVD players that measure essentially perfect so I couldn't let this topic pass.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2019, 10:57 am »
Agree with Antun on the BDP-1 vs -2 upgrade rationales.

Had BDP-1 myself for 5 yrs. My digital library exploded and I wanted something that could handle it smoothly. So I got a BDP-2 at a good price (with IAD installed). Sonically, it's my DAC that largely shapes the SQ.

cheers

docder

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2019, 08:12 pm »
I've only had my BDP-3 for a day after nine years of BDP-1.
For a couple of years I have been considering an update. I have a large library and have sometimes used Tidal and often ran into continuity and connectivity problems with the BDP-1. Yet I was surprised over the weekend when implementing Qobuz with how well the BDP-1 coped with playback of even high resolution files. OK, things were not perfect but on the whole it would have been possible to keep on living with performance of the BDP-1 when using Qobuz, which I use everyday.
But a BDP-3 came my way and what persuaded me to go for it the most was its ease of operation and processing compared to the BDP-1. To keep the MPD operating on the BDP-1 I had most things turned off, or did not engage with. Now, on the BDP-3, I can feel free to go for all the additional usage. In terms of processing it is a wonderful up-grade. I love the clean and simple implementation of Qobuz, and the ease with which the BDP-3 operates generally. moving from version 1 to version 3 has been a great plus for me.
Is the audio originating from the BDP-3 sources improved from when they were attached to my nine year old BDP-1? I would say so, but I have not carried out any rigorous testing. But then, nothing else has changed in replacing the 1 with the 3, I have the same music files playing as I had before, and I would say audio is now more cleanly presented, more deeply exposed. Ok the DACs here might be more responsible for shaping the audio I hear but it would seem as if the BDP-3 is providing a purer form of signal via its outputs then I had previously.
Now having the BDP-3 I realise how much of the BDP experience I have been missing.