Did it once...
2 (15.4%)
Listening what?
3 (23.1%)
Take a weapon!
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: 9 Aug 2003, 02:30 am

Anyone else done any of these 'listening parties'?

cyounkman

I'll admit I'm a little scared. Tomorrow my buddy and I are going to a 'listening session' hosted by a local audiophile, as advertised on the Toronto Audiophiles newsgroup. I guess the idea is that people show up with equipment and music, and swap gear, compare tracks ? and so forth?

I was slated to take my GamuT, but it's still being serviced.

Anyone else been to this sort of dark corner of the hobby?

brucegel

Re: Anyone else done any of these 'listening parties'?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2003, 04:10 am »
Congrats on venturing forth beyond the silicon/valve embryo.My best advice is go with an open mind.My experience with this sort of thing (in N.Y.C.) ranges from OH GOD i cannot believe these people like this music/system to OH GOD i will never be able to afford a setup like this if I live fifty more lifetimes.On the bright side you could meet some great new friends who as we all know are priceless and a blessing.P.S. If you have no gear to bring than bring wine.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2003, 09:06 pm »
I've never been to one, but given I live in NYC, I don't they would be hard to find.  Let me know how the Toronto one is Chris.

Michael

cyounkman

made it through the gauntlet...
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2003, 10:46 pm »
Well, I made it through the ol' audiophile listening grind. A buddy of mine showed up a little later than the appointed time, and folks were already deeply involved in listening to god-knows-what.

The host's system was as follows: JA Michelle Gyro SE 'table, Herron Audio VTSP-1A pre, Bel Canto SET40, and Meadowlark Audio Heron i's. Speaker cable was mid-line NBS, didn't catch the other cables. Digital played a distant second fiddle, with and Audio Analogue Pagannini cdp sitting forlorn on a flimsy fold-up table.

When I first arrived, though, a local dealership/manufacturer was showing its 'adaptation' of the 47 Labs GainCard--a tiny dual-mono SS amp with something like 9 parts per channel, short signal path, etc. With the Herron in front and the Meadowlarks behind, things sounded pretty fuzzy, and not in a good way. I thought there was something wrong, even though the sounds was very 'romantic'. But the little amp also clearly lacked the power to drive the big Herons.

After a few more cuts of this'n'that (Fauré music for harp and violin; some strange vocalists; etc.) another local manufacturer (Song Audio) put his ca$5k pre-amp in the chain. The difference was not subtle at all--the Herron had obviously had a serious impedance mismatch (or so it was decided) with the tiny SS amp. The SS amp seemed very difficult to drive; but the Song Audio pre made a huge improvement.

Finally the ss squeaker was removed (See? I don't discriminate--I lampoon low-power SS too!) in favour of the much more capable/listenable Bel Canto. Switching between the Herron and the Song Audio pre-amp (both at around ca$5k) the consensus was that the Song Audio, a dual-mono tubed affair with full tube regulation in a separate power chassis, wiped the floor with the Herron.

Interesting point came up when the manufacturer, in a fit of candor, disclosed that his cost for the unique lexan faceplates on the pre-amp and monoblocks was something like ca$600 each. This did not please the value-oriented 'philes present, who hopped all over him and demanded a cheaper version, etc. Word to the wise: if you're a manufacturer, keep your parts costs under your hat; particularly if things are already going really well (which they were here).

Another tip: don't compare your stuff to the best out unless you've got some real stones on you. Song Audio's next product (they brought a literal truckload) was a small monitor--6" kevlar driver, 1" silk dome tweeter, minimal crossover. As soon as Mr. Kim got wind that I have De Capos at home, he wanted me to listen to his speakers and 'compare'. First mistake. Second, he hooked them up with his 300Bs so they could do the 'midrange' trick (and you know what I think of that nonsense).

After a little listening, he asked for my opinion. "Nice tweeter," I responded. It was all I could think to say. Needless to say, the little boxes couldn't really handle anything in the bass at all, and to make matters worse, someone put on The Seven Words of Christ by Théodore Dubois on Fidelio Audio records; an audiophile record featuring what the website proclaims as the sixth loudest organ in the world. With 300Bs at the wheel, you can well imagine that the woofers nearly hit the back wall, and there was a stampede for the volume control.

Anyway, the pre-amp was a great product. You can see their lineup here. There was an Ultra Audio review of the pre-amp, and a Soundstage review of the Type II Silk DM monitor.

We had to leave before hearing the Song Audio 300B monos with the single-driver Lowther-style speakers. Would have been interesting...

Another interesting point for comparison was a ca$200 Sony SACD player that someone brought, as well as three new (I think native DSD) SACDs. The sound had that open, airy quality that SACD seems to do well, with good overtone structures, but it was no surprise to me that the machine lacked any real heft or pitch definition in the bass. It seems that people like it better than the house Audio Analogue, but I would have had a tough time going for it. Seems like a good (read: cheap) prospect for modding the shit out of, though.

But the music was just unbearable. Why do audiophiles listen to such bad music?As soon as someone put on Norah Jones or whatever her name is despite the groans, my friend Anthony quipped "OK, I owe you twenty bucks." But no one got it. <sigh>

Unfortunately, I didn't get to listen to any of my own music on the system (and since I brought cd's I was in the outcast group already), so my impressions are sort of fuzzy. I do wish I'd lugged the De Capos, though. They definitely would have cleaned up after the little Song Audio monitors, and I think they would have given the Heron i's a good run too; I found them quite rolled off on the top, well-integrated, but not that involving. They had good bass, but on balance I'd still take the De Capos (especially with his Bel Canto SET40!). I was planning to bring my GamuT to the party as well, but it's still being services after the mysterious incident.

All in all not too bad.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2003, 12:43 am »
Nice report of the party!  Yeah, audiophiles listen to terrible music for the most part!  Didn't they listen to the turntable?  What a waste- I'd like to hear impressions of that table.  As far as digital has come (and your gamut player is one of the better pieces I have heard), it still can't touch a well set up turntable IMO.  My damn Rega P25 provides me with more musical pleasure than any digital front end I have heard in my system.  And I've had an Acuphase SACD player here briefly, so it's not as though I'm comparing cheap stuff to it.  There is something magical about vinyl that gets lost on digital for me.  Anyway, thanks for the report and I'm glad to hear that the De Capo I's more than hold their own with the stuff you heard.  BTW, a few weeks ago you asked me about SD 300ti reviews, Chris.  They are reviewed briefly, along with the MM De Capo I, in the new TAS.

cyounkman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2003, 04:04 am »
I saw that mention in TAS. Funny--I had only heard of the 300ti's when you mentioned them here, and then saw the write-up in the next issue!

Sorry--apparently I failed to mention that we listened almost exclusively to vinyl. Unfortunately I didn't know a lot of the repertoire.  I do remember a fabulous mono disc of Johanna Martzy, a French violinist who recorded a great deal in the 40's and 50's, doing the Brahms violin sonatas. Gorgeous playing devoid of any of the irritating mosquito-vibrato of the period, and a deeply-felt reading of the works. Also played: Tony Bennett and Bill Evans doing 'Some other Time'. I know that if you're into this kind of music, this is very good stuff. I can see the craftsmanship, and Evans is a brilliant 'accompanist' (joke! joke!), but the schmaltz factor was high for me, particularly when Bennett slides step-by-step down the 'Oh, well' descending octave.

The Fauré piece for harp and violin was also on vinyl. It sounded great; the vinyl really capturing the low-level details and harmonics of the harp. A harp can also be a very difficult instrument to reproduce, with bass fundamentals down into the 30's, the ability to produce a lot of sound in a hurry. The system kept up pretty well, getting the warmth of the sound right, but it felt a little constrained dynamically to me.

There is a warmth to vinyl that is for me fundamentally different--digital will never recreate it, regardless of sampling rate or whatever. I don't know if it's 'better' than, say, SACD (which I have heard a couple times done really well)--the format just has a different sound.

Anyway, I was very frustrated not to be able to put the GamuT up against a good analog set-up.

cyounkman

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2003, 04:05 am »
I saw that mention in TAS. Funny--I had only heard of the 300ti's when you mentioned them here, and then saw the write-up in the next issue!

Sorry--apparently I failed to mention that we listened almost exclusively to vinyl. Unfortunately I didn't know a lot of the repertoire.  I do remember a fabulous mono disc of Johanna Martzy, a French violinist who recorded a great deal in the 40's and 50's, doing the Brahms violin sonatas. Gorgeous playing devoid of any of the irritating mosquito-vibrato of the period, and a deeply-felt reading of the works. Also played: Tony Bennett and Bill Evans doing 'Some other Time'. I know that if you're into this kind of music, this is very good stuff. I can see the craftsmanship, and Evans is a brilliant 'accompanist' (joke! joke!), but the schmaltz factor was high for me, particularly when Bennett slides step-by-step down the 'Oh, well' descending octave.

The Fauré piece for harp and violin was also on vinyl. It sounded great; the vinyl really capturing the low-level details and harmonics of the harp. A harp can also be a very difficult instrument to reproduce, with bass fundamentals down into the 30's, the ability to produce a lot of sound in a hurry. The system kept up pretty well, getting the warmth of the sound right, but it felt a little constrained dynamically to me.

There is a warmth to vinyl that is for me fundamentally different--digital will never recreate it, regardless of sampling rate or whatever. I don't know if it's 'better' than, say, SACD (which I have heard a couple times done really well)--the format just has a different sound.

Anyway, I was very frustrated not to be able to put the GamuT up against a good analog set-up.

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2003, 04:52 am »
Glad to hear you listened mainly to vinyl!!!:P   I agree that SACD can sound absolutely amazing in the right set up and I'm no hater of digital in general.  The best I heard was the DCS stuff at HE 2002, but then 30K in a digital front end better sound great!  

However, the spatial cues, continuousness, warmth, and more robust soundstage keep me coming back to vinyl.  What cartridge were they using on the Michelle Gyrodec?