What exactly are Tidal, Spotify, et al?

dB Cooper

Re: What exactly are Tidal, Spotify, et al?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2018, 04:36 pm »
Good advice. about 'shopping around'. And regarding Tidal specifically, while I love the sound, I have some quibbles with the UI and will definitely be trying out Qobuz when they roll out their lossless service later this year.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2018, 04:41 pm »
If Tidal is supposed to offer CD sound quality, why are so many people saying that their CDP sounds better?
There are people who are convinced that cryo-treated power outlets make a 'night and day' difference in SQ. I'll bet not one of those folks has tried a blind test between streaming and spinning. I have listened to the same material back-to-back and heard no meaningful or reliably audible difference. Of course, YMMV and to each his own.

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2018, 05:16 pm »
I tried to compare DACs and CD players at one point.  It was tough.  I had to switch back and forth, many times, using short snippets of material, to see which was better. 

gregcss

« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2018, 08:58 pm »
One thing that grinds my gears about Tidal and now Spotify is I can be rocking out to an album one day, and the next day the album is no longer part of their library. So now I need to buy the actual CD if i want to listen to it again. They say CDs are on their way out but how else would someone be able to buy/listen to an album (not buying mp3 album).

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #24 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:17 am »
When Tidal let's you download a song/album for offline use, there must be a catch, right?

Is it still FLAC?  Can I only use the download for a limited time?  Could I download it to my house server and then use it like any other FLAC file?

srb

« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:45 am »
When Tidal let's you download a song/album for offline use, there must be a catch, right?

Is it still FLAC?  Can I only use the download for a limited time?  Could I download it to my house server and then use it like any other FLAC file?

I don't know if the format is FLAC, but it is encrypted and must be decrypted by using the Tidal software registered to an active account.  Like Spotify, you are able to use offline mode for up to three devices per account.

The offline downloads are only available while an account is active for authentication.

There have been some third-party (illegal) downloading software like TiDown which converted the files into non-DRM MP3, but the music services usually move fairly fast to plug those security holes.

Steve

Stu Pitt

« Reply #26 on: 16 Apr 2018, 02:55 am »
Another question if I may...

I see several people here and a few other threads mentioned a 6 month free trial for Tidal.  How did you get this?  I see 1 month on their website.  Is that 6 months of their premium for fee, or the lower-end level?

I’m going to most likely buy a Bluesound Node 2 in a few weeks.  I’m waiting to start all free trial stuff until that arrives, as I’d rather evaluate the various services for as long as I can on that.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:58 am »
Sorry Stu, I believe that was a limited time offer and now long gone.   :cry:

I'm still in it, yet am waiting for the ground to thaw so the fiber optic guys can get out here, so I'm struggling with Tidal via DSL and the provider's crummy router.   :(

geowak

« Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:42 pm »
Stu- I have both the Node 2 and Tidal. In my modest system, it was a step up. I would be surprised if you did not really like both. Here is a link to the subscription choices with Tidal. https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003662825-Subscription-Types

BTW if you have ANY problems with installation and integration of the Bluesound, the customer service is tremendous. I had some problems getting the Node 2 to integrate EXACTLY the way I wanted into my stereo system. Those guys really helped to the end.

RandyH

« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:49 pm »
+1 for Bluesound Node 2
+1 for TIDAL

Stu Pitt

« Reply #30 on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:48 pm »
Sorry Stu, I believe that was a limited time offer and now long gone.   :cry:

I'm still in it, yet am waiting for the ground to thaw so the fiber optic guys can get out here, so I'm struggling with Tidal via DSL and the provider's crummy router.   :(

I just found the 6 month free trial.  It’s for Sprint customers.  I think it’s the premium, not the HiFi level.  Still, 6 months is 6 months.  It’s making me look into switching from AT&T.