Rocketman -Elton John movie

stlrman

Rocketman -Elton John movie
« on: 1 Mar 2020, 07:10 pm »
Wow!! This was super entertaining!!!
9 out of 10  stars.
My wife loved it too. “ROCKETMAN is an epic musical fantasy about the incredible human story of Elton John's breakthrough years. The film follows the fantastical journey of transformation from shy piano prodigy Reginald Dwight into international superstar Elton John. This inspirational story -- set to Elton John's most beloved songs and performed by star Taron Egerton -- tells the universally relatable story of how a small-town boy became one of the most iconic figures in pop culture. ROCKETMAN also stars Jamie Bell as Elton's longtime lyricist and writing partner Bernie Taupin, Richard Madden as Elton's first manager, John Reid, and Bryce Dallas Howard as Elton's mother Sheila Farebrother.”

Wind Chaser

Re: Rocketman -Elton John movie
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2020, 07:17 pm »
I need to see this, thank you for reminding me. :D

smargo

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2020, 08:45 pm »
Wow!! This was super entertaining!!!
9 out of 10  stars.
My wife loved it too. “ROCKETMAN is an epic musical fantasy about the incredible human story of Elton John's breakthrough years. The film follows the fantastical journey of transformation from shy piano prodigy Reginald Dwight into international superstar Elton John. This inspirational story -- set to Elton John's most beloved songs and performed by star Taron Egerton -- tells the universally relatable story of how a small-town boy became one of the most iconic figures in pop culture.

I couldnt agree with you more - really - really good - very inspiring and gestalt like

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2020, 08:48 pm »
Yes, well worth the watch.   :thumb:

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2020, 09:25 pm »
I thought the actor selected to star as the adult Elton was excellent.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:13 am »
For some reason, I thought we already discussed this but I can't find it on the cinema circle so I guess not.
I saw it but I really wish they had left out the dance musical numbers. Often, just as it was getting intense/interesting/sad, etc., they would suddenly break out in song. Why?
Otherwise, the actors were great.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:00 pm »
they would suddenly break out in song. Why?
It's a musical. One of reasons I hated it. I hate musicals.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:12 pm »
Is it purely musical, predominantly musical, or it supplementary musical?

I like EJ’s music plenty enough but I’m hoping there’s a storyline that goes with it.

I haven’t read any reviews so all I know is it’s a movie about Elton John.

smargo

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:04 pm »
Is it purely musical, predominantly musical, or it supplementary musical?

wind chaser - its pretty much a supplementary musical - but to say this movie is a musical

is like saying when i  go in the ocean the water is wet

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:06 pm »
 :rotflmao:

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:57 am »

I like EJ’s music plenty enough but I’m hoping there’s a storyline that goes with it.

Well, that's kind of what I was saying. If they hadn't made it a musical (most of it wasn't song), I would have really enjoyed the acting/movie much more. I think more than once, he would be in a dark corner emotionally and literally, then he would say a line from his song and then a whole bunch of dancers would appear and they would go into a big musical, happy dance number! It frustrated me.

Digi-G

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2020, 04:58 pm »

Spoiler alert:  Elton's gay!!!

Digi-G

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:59 pm »
Seriously, I thought the movie was just okay.  The actors were fantastic and the back catalog of music is great.  But it seemed like the movie spent an inordinate amount of time on his sexuality.  The music almost felt secondary.  And as others mentioned, it was a musical, which would totally take me out of the moment.

While I thought the movie had a lot of potential, it wasn't my favorite.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2020, 07:03 pm »
I like how the movie tied a lot of the lyrics of his music back to real events that'd happened to him growing up.  I particularly thinking of songs like Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. 

The gay themes didn't bother me so much, but then again I watched it with my 13 year old daughter who recently came out as gay.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2020, 12:05 am »

I saw the Rocketman show live at Marin Center in San Rafael last year.
    It was the very best live show I ever saw. AND!!! I've seen a LOT of live shows