Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

modwright

Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« on: 21 Dec 2016, 07:18 pm »
OK guys, so Oppo has FINALLY published info about the UHD-205 4K player!  I know that many have been waiting for this and asking about it.

I am very excited about it and I plan a totally new and re-designed mod for this, beyond what we have done for the Oppo 95 and 105/105D. I have some great ideas up my sleeve, but I won't know what is best until I actually get the first unit in here.  I too am waiting for early release info from Oppo.

Like we did with our Marantz SA8005 mod - To date the BEST music only player mod we have ever produced! - we will offer a tiered discount structure for the first ten customers to sign up and pre-pay a deposit.

If you are interested in getting on this list, please simply email us at: modwright@yahoo.com.

I won't start taking deposits until I have a unit in house and have a firm handle on the mod.  You can however, get on our 'pre-order' list by simply notifying us of interest.

Thanks!

Dan

SoCalWJS

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2016, 08:18 pm »
email sent.

Thanks Dan - can't wait to see what happens with this.

soundofrockets

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2016, 08:57 pm »
waiting for further details !! 

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm »
I plan to pursue a circuit similar to that used in the Marantz SA8005 mods, because I have been so pleased with how that turned out!

It all depends on the unit that Oppo produces however of course.

Thanks,

Dan

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2016, 11:17 pm »
Where did you get more Oppo 205 details? Not seeing anything on their page or in a quick news search...

modwright

Tommy123

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2016, 12:04 am »
Any solid state mod? to keep the player 1 chassis instead of 2 chassis?

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:25 pm »
That is certainly a possibility!  We did for the 95, but not for the 105.  I think it is time to look at a lesser cost and one-box SS mod option for the 205.  We are working on some discrete analog circuitry that would fit in well here!

Thanks,

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2016, 02:21 am »
Strictly rumor and from a questionable source - 205 will feature a SABRE DAC that is the same one that will be in their new stand alone DAC. (Posts 106 & 107)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2678801-official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-anticipation-thread-4.html

http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

Still early and hard to find solid info. This would make it fundamentally different from the 203 which features an AKM DAC

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2016, 06:35 pm »
I would be surprised if this were NOT the case.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2017, 08:22 pm »
Based on test results of discrete opamp R&D that I have been doing with Alan Kimmel, I expect that we will likely offer a lesser cost SS mod for the UDP-205 in addition to our tube mods.

Very pleased with the sound of the new discrete design!

Dan

The Rang

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2017, 02:25 am »
"A lesser cost SS option"
This has me interested :)

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2017, 04:58 pm »
The discrete op-amp design is really eye opening!  I have always rejected opamps for their inherent feedback based design, but what I am hearing here has me thinking otherwise!

We still need to shrink the PCB size per op-amp and of course make custom boards.  I am thinking our own Super Voltage Regulators too and this could be exceptional!

This has the potential for MCH and well as 2CH applications and would not require an external supply or any chassis machining.

Thanks and stay tuned!

Dan

jwes

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2017, 07:39 pm »
Dan,

Is there any chance you'd do a mod for the Opposite Sonica streamer/DAC?  Would love to have modwright magic on something purely as a streamer.  A new replacement for the Transporter :)?

Jim

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2017, 11:23 pm »
I certainly would be! Is it a streamer and DAC? I know it uses the latest Sabre DAC chip and promises to be exceptional.

There would be no switched mode power supplies and no video circuitry. As such, it would be a great audio only solution!

I would consider both SS discrete one box mod options as well as tube mods with external tube supply.

All interested, please let me know! I have both new tube and SS circuits that would work very well here!

Dan Wright

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2017, 01:54 am »
I certainly would be! Is it a streamer and DAC? I

Dan Wright

Yes - https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

KLH007

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:12 am »
Thanks Phil.

jwes

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2017, 04:50 am »
That would be awesome!!  No need to pay for all the video capabilities, and get to start with Oppo bones.  Thanks for looking into it Dan!

Jim

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2017, 04:58 pm »
I noticed that it is $800 too, which means you are not paying for the video.  I wonder if the analog and DAC circuitry is better implemented or the same, comparing the Sonica and UDP-205.  I would expect that they did not reinvent the wheel, and thus they are very similar or the same.  The good thing however, is that ALL circuitry is implemented via a linear PS and no switcher is used at all.

I am excited to explore both the Sonica DAC and UDP-205.  It looks like the DAC will be out first!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2017, 08:22 pm »
SamS at SH Forums (an Oppo beta tester) has suggested that the BDP 205 may be just a little more upscale than the Sonica, in terms of sound quality.  That may not matter if the post-DAC circuit is changing anyway.