Power conditioners / power strips for Bryston 4B3

spartana

Power conditioners / power strips for Bryston 4B3
« on: 14 Nov 2021, 05:01 pm »
Good morning,

I am not sure if a power conditioner or a power strip to supply my stereo system would be the better choice. Often I read in the range up to 2,000 Euro about the same devices: Isotek Aquarius Evo3, Audioquest Niagara 1200, Tsakiridis Super Athena, Lab 12 Gordian (the latter two probably not well known in North America?), Supra LORAD MD08DC power strip.

There seem to be two groups of people: a) the ones that say these devices above limit the dynamics and b) the ones that say this is not true and is only a misintertpretation of the more "quiet" sound (less distortion?).

Some filters / conditioners / strips seem to filter DC in order to prevent toroidal transformers from humming / buzzing noises. Is that even relevant with Bryston amps?

Are Conditioners in the aforementioned prices range good enoigh for my 4Bcubed? Note: I also use a BP17 cubed and a BDA3.

I would be very interested in how you connect your Bryston 4Bcubed (or even more powerfull amps). I would also appreciate some recommendations from Bryston, if time allowes.

It is not so easy for me to acquire different devices for testing purposes. Also is my audio system built-into some furniture so that any test activity is always a bigger pain. Hence I am looking for your thoughts to limit the number of devices that could be checked.

Looking forward to reading about your thoughts.

Thanks,

Holger

spartana

Re: Power conditioners / power strips for Bryston 4B3
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2021, 07:56 pm »
I just saw that Isotek replaced the Aquarius Evo 3 with the V5. Anybody any experience with that? Ideally together with a 4Bcubed?

whell

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2021, 06:36 pm »
For better or worse, you won't know the benefits, if any, of such devices until you try them in your home, with your home's wiring and electrical feed. FWIW, I've always found that the best power source for an amp was plugging it straight into the wall with no strips or conditioners in between.  Leave the conditioning, if any, to lower power devices.   

spartana

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2021, 12:03 pm »
Yes. This is what I fear. Getting the devices home for a test is not so easy these days.  :cry:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2021, 06:49 am »
Many Bryston users on the Facebook group use the Niagra and swear by it.  I have not tried it.

I have a BIT-15 but it does not help transformer buzzing noise in my house.  Only a voltage regenerator like the PS Audio Power Plant could eliminate that, which is caused by harmonic distortion on the AC line in your neighborhood (not DC offset).

DC does not pass through magnetic fields of transformers, so any BIT or the larger Bryston amps with Plitron energy storage and isolation transformers (maybe even all their products) will inherently block DC.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2021, 09:13 pm »
I have owned a 4Bsq. i don’t know what the difference is from the newer 4Bcubed.  My advice is nothing. Don’t put anything between your 4Bcube and the wall. Except!, for a dual 240 or larger, Bit or Torus. The dual phase BIT isolation transformers were made for 4Bs The isolation transformer is 3000 watts and lit my 4B right up. The 4B was the biggest amp you would put on it though.  The substantial size difference between transformers worked beautifully. My 14B it did nothing. I never plugged my 14Bsq into it.