Purity Audio Design/Von Schweikert Audio at RMAF 2011 - The Details.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Below is a list of the components that will be used in the Purity Audio Design room in conjunction with Von Schweikert Audio.

Room 522 - be sure to stop by

After the show, this thread will also be used for coverage and comments from AC members.

Preamplification - Purity Audio Design Ultra GT+ (pure silver autoformers)

Amplification -  Digital Amp Company Cherry Mono Ultra Amplifier
                     Purity Audio Design "Harmony" Mono Balanced Buffers

Loudspeakers - Von Schweikert Audio VR-44 (world debut)

Digital Source #1 - Eera Tentation CD Player

Digital Source #2 - M2Tech Young DAC
                          Purity Audio Design "Purity Power" Young DAC power supply
                          Purity Audio Design "Harmony" Stereo Balanced Buffer

Room Acoustics:  Jeff Hedback (Hedback Design) working with Acoustics Surfaces, Inc 
                        Jeff did a  great job with our room last year making an average hotel room sound
                       great.
                        www.hdacoustics.net

Also on display:

Purity Silver Statement
Purity Reference
Purity One Integrated Hybrid Amplifier
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2011, 01:40 am by Bill Baker »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Bill,
Do you guys have more than one room?  In speaking with my acoustic expert (and becoming close friend) Jeff Hedback (Hedback Design), he said he was helping with some treatment in one of the rooms, I thought with the Von Schweikerts.  I look forward to stopping by.  Your room last year was excellent.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hello Ted,
 Looking forwad to seeing you at the show!

Yes, we are in with Von Schweikert but rather than the VR-5 Annies, Albert wanted to debut his new VR44 simi-active speakers. We are debuting the Purity Ultra GT with silver autoformer attenuation which is what this year's system was built around. It is also our debut of the Harmony buffers and Purity Power power supplies.

Jeff did our room last year and has done the room again this year.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Hey, Bill.   Hope it's going well.   Any pics to post yet?  Thanks!

-Tommy O

shadowlight

Hey, Bill.   Hope it's going well.   Any pics to post yet?  Thanks!

-Tommy O

Tommy,

Some pictures posted in the RMAF Show Coverage Day 1 Thread

doug s.

• makin' music
Below is a list of the components that will be used in the Purity Audio Design room in conjunction with Von Schweikert Audio.

After the show, this thread will also be used for coverage and comments from AC members.

Room Acoustics:  Jeff Hedback (Hedback Design) working with Acoustics Surfaces, Inc 
                        Jeff did a  great job with our room last year making an average hotel room sound
                       great.
                        www.hdacoustics.net

Also on display:

Purity Silver Statement
Purity Reference
where's the cherry amps w/the purity buffers?  pez's report seemed to indicate the mcalister amps might not be up to the task; even tho the sound was wery nice...

best of luck w/the show.

doug s.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio

pez's report seemed to indicate the mcalister amps might not be up to the task; even tho the sound was wery nice..

We had to take the amps out as they were now burned in enough.

I admit the McAlisters were not up to the task as they were running in stand-by mode at the time pez was in the room
Rim (woodsyi) is here now listening. Maybe we can get pez back into the room for a second listen now that we have realized our oversight?

KJ

I wondered why that idle light was lit up.   :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Okay KJ, and you didn't feel it neccesary to say something :o

KJ

Sorry, I left the room in search of oxygen for Joe.   :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Ok,

I am listening and it is sounding damned good.  We are listening to lonewolf's rave cd and it is good.  Joe mentioned amps running in idle mode earlier.  It's not idling now.  Real punchy.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 03:03 pm by woodsyi »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
I have this much to say about this room once everything was dialed in.

WOW

I'm not easy to be impressed and I had to say this is the best sound I've ever heard.

Good job Joe & Bill.

blutto

great.
                        www.hdacoustics.net

Also on display:

Purity Silver Statement
Purity Reference

...thanks for the thorough list...always very helpful...

...though very odd that the McAlister OTL's weren't mentioned, even as part of the static display....especially considering they are as big as a house, and they are sitting front row center...

Cheers

blutto

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Not burned in enough?  The sound doesn't change very much from that, so RUN THE CHERRIES!!!  I'm sure they would give you the clean power you need :)

-Tommy O 

watercourse

Bill, would be interested in how the Cherries sound with your new gear and in comparison to the tube amps. Hopefully this can happen and Pez/Tyson can report back?

mjosef

...not burned in enough..

Perhaps its a gentler, kinder way of saying the Cherry didn't meet their sonic standards?  :eyebrows:

mfsoa

My guess is that if Albert had brought the totally passive VR44s, it'd be a better match w/ the Cherries.

With the powered subs in the semi-active, you don't really need over a KW (I'm guessing) per side and your amp options go up.

I can understand Tommy's disappointment though - This was to be a big event in his life and his company's history.

mjosef

Ahhh yes, the tubes on the midrange-and-up thing, I can dig that.  :thumb:

KJ

I guess I'll state what others might be afraid to say.  Let me preface this by saying I think everyone was looking forward to the new Cherries being the cat's meow in this fantastic setup.  However, when they were put into play, the sound was simply piercing.  Whether it was due to needing time on the clock or a matter of over powering the room, I can't really say.  All I know is it was tough to bear.

I think pulling them out was the last thing the guys wanted to do, but the feedback from people walking in and out was pretty consistent.  :(

watercourse

Well, at least now we know. The next question is, why did it sound so different in that setup?