Tempest - Driver placement

jbandpc

« on: 29 Apr 2003, 03:53 pm »
I'm planning on building a Powered Sealed Tempest.  I'll be building a box somewhere in between the Low and Mid Q designs.

Bottom line:  If the face of the box on to which the Tempest will be mounted is not square, but rather rectangular, should the Tempest be mounted in the center or off to one side?  (Or does it matter?)

If the answer is "off to one side", then my question is:  Should the bracing still be centered in the cabinet?

Darren Thomas

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2003, 05:05 pm »
I'm inclined to say it doesn't matter because bass is non-directional. There is no consideration of baffle placement. Should work wherever you put it :)

stevewhittle

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2003, 03:40 am »
How the listening space loads the driver depends on the location of the driver relative to the walls, floor ceiling etc.

Where the driver can be physically positioned in the room depends on where it is located in the enclosure and the shape of the enclosure.

I tend to put subwoofer drivers near the end of the baffle.  That gives the most flexibility in arranging the driver relative to the boundary surfaces around it.

My .02

SDW