attention VR-4 SR MK II owners...need answers rather quickly..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
I am just about to pull the trigger on buying a pr. of VR-4 SR MK IIs but have never had the pleasure of hearing them, only having read a handful of reviews on line.  I spoke at length with Albert yesterday and he seems like a very honest and knowledgeable gentleman.  I have listened to Wilson watt puppies/sophias, B&W 802Ds and Martin Logan summits most recently and would be interested in hearing, if anyone has heard any of those, how the VR-4 SR MK II sound compares.  I have never heard the AVS speakers as we have no dealers here.  I plan to drive them with McIntosh SS amplifiers.  If someone would care reply rather quickly it would be greatly appreciated as I my trigger finger is itching badly.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Big Red Machine

In that league but with higher value:  Salk HT3

bentknee

I believe the 4SR's to be a bargan in world class speakers. I think you will be pleased with them. Break them in good and enjoy them for a long time to come. If you would like to see mine look in systems under bentknee's toys.

Blessings, Bob 

es347

• Facilitator
Thanks for the reply Bob.  Nice system.  I'm getting more comfortable buying these shoes without trying the on I guess.  You don't live anywhere near IN do you??

es347

• Facilitator

Thanks for the input.  I went to their site and those speakers look interesting.  Are you a reds fan?

Delacroix

Oddly, I auditioned exactly the same range of speakers you mention: Wilson Watt 7 and 8, Sophia 2, ML Summits, and B&W 802D and 800D. Also heard the Eggleston Andra II. I liked the 800D a LOT, but ended up with VR5s. I've documented the experience on various posts to AudioGon over the last year where I give more details and experiences. I can't say that any of these were poor speakers, and I concluded I might be happy with any of them. In the end it came down to an opportunity to buy at a price I could live with and I have no regrets. Everyone who hears them loves them. I drive them regularly with a BAT V500 to great effect, but am currently enjoying a low watt Audio Space 3.1 integrated which I have in house for a while, and it really works well too. In fact, having tried a Naim Nait 2 and a Wyred4 Sound 500w brute also, I'd say the Vons just seem very tolerant of most amps so the Macs you mention would likely be great too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Big Red Machine

Thanks for the input.  I went to their site and those speakers look interesting.  Are you a reds fan?

Nope!

es347

• Facilitator

Nope!

and that is definitely another version of a big red machine.

bentknee

Thanks for the reply Bob.  Nice system.  I'm getting more comfortable buying these shoes without trying the on I guess.  You don't live anywhere near IN do you??

I live in California. I had the VR4jr before and before that Martin Logan Quest. The VR4sr is another step up the ladder in every way.

Blessings, Bob