TNT Audio Review

Bwanagreg

TNT Audio Review
« on: 28 May 2003, 04:04 pm »
Just noticed this review of the TS-1 and TS-3 (with references to the older TS-2 review).

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/omegats1ts3_e.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
TNT Audio Review
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 10:07 pm »
Richard George is my favorite reviewer.  Not only does he review bunches of stuff I'm interested in, but I hear what he hears.  It's most helpful to know how various pieces perform together.

Very complimentary review(s).  

Louis:

Will the TS-3R still be available?  And for how much?

Please provide details on the sub that you show with the TS-3's.

Does the Super 3 take care of some of "thin-ness" in the midrange that Richard refers to?  

Assuming most folks would want a sub with the either the TS-3's or the Super 3's, please explain the advantage in the Super 3.  (Because frankly I much prefer the look of the TS-3.)

thanks,

jeff

Louis O

TNT Audio Review
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2003, 01:15 am »
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the short absence.

Your right about Richard's reviews. He is a great reviewer and the reviews are very well written. He highlights all the positives and negatives of the products being reviewed and lets you know how they interact with different electronics.

The TS3Rs are available and cost $549. The sub is part of the MiniMax system and is a Closed box 8" powered sub. Actually it's more of a bass entender than a sub. It has a built in 150 watt amplifier with variable crossover, volume and phase controls. It a front firing sub and is the same size as the TS1. It will go down to about 35Hz and tuned for speed to compliment the TS3s.

The Super 3 takes care of thin-ness that Richard talks about. Bass goes down to 55Hz and is very full. The wide baffle also produces a very natural sounding midrange without sacrificing imaging and soundstaging. I feel the Super 3 doesn't need a sub.
As for the looks of the Super 3. I have built Super 3s and placed the drivers on the narrow side making the speaker a larger TS3. This is no problem at all.

Thanks again,
Louis

mgalusha

TNT Audio Review
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2003, 02:01 am »
I listened to the Super 3's at the Midwest Audio Fest and was amazed by how good they sounded. Enough that the only hand out's I kept from the show were the Omega ones. :)

I have been getting the urge to play with some single driver speakers and from what I heard the Omega speakers offered fine sound for not a lot of money.

Just my $.02

Mike

nathanm

TNT Audio Review
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2003, 03:57 am »
I'm curious how the laminate turned from black to blue in those review pics.  The color of the table is consistent which leads me to believe it isn't a color correction issue. Is the blue tint appearing stronger when hit more directly with the flash?  Well in any case, those really show off the nice grain pattern.  I wish I could see them bigger!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
TNT Audio Review
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2003, 12:18 pm »
Louis:

Thanks for all you do.   :D

Regarding the 8 inch sealed bass unit -

1. Is it available by itself?

2. If so, how much?

3. What are it's performance specifications?

4. In particular, will it blend in with any of your speakers?

I understand and agree that responsive bass to 35 Hz is preferrable to muddy bass to 20 Hz (especially for music).  It's interesting that a number of vendors are now calling such bass units anything but a subwoofer.  I wonder if the term "subwoofer" a dirty word in the current audiophile lexicon or is it to avoid expectations of reaching 20 Hz and shaking the foundations.   :)

thanks again,

jeff

Louis O

TNT Audio Review
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2003, 02:34 am »
Mike,

Thanks for stopping in and giving the Super 3s a listen at the MAF. I had a great time and met many very nice people. Many thanks for the compliments and very happy you liked the speakers  :D

NathanM,

The flash plays tricks on the eye with this laminate. It has a pearl effect and under different light it kinda changes color. The pearl also has the metalic effect under light as you would see in metalic finishes on cars. The color can change from black, grey, and blue. If you want a sample of it I would be happy to send out a nice size piece of it.

JLM,

My pleasure and it's a lot of fun.  :D

The sub is available by itself.

I can do a special on it for $459.

They sub goes down to 35Hz. It's powered (150 Watts). Has a 12dB low pass X-over, variable phase and volume control. The driver is a paper cone 8" with rubber surround and loaded in a low Q sealed box.

The sub works very well with the TS3 and Super 3. For the larger speakers I would recommend a larger sub.

I guess if it doesn't go down to 20Hz. it's really not a sub. I guess bass unit would work.  :D
Your right clean tight dynamic bass is much more preferable for music. Although I do like to shake the house for HT, lots of fun.

Thanks again,
Louis