When I first heard _____________ I wasn't ready...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
When I first heard _____________ I wasn't ready...
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:27 am »
I want to talk about artists/composers that you weren't "ready for" or didn't understand the first time around but now like.  I'm not talking about a single piece or song that you didn't like that later grew on you but rather artists that you had to grow into.

I will start since it was my whole point in posting! :lol:  I'm hear to sing the praises of Philip Glass.  To be completely honest for many years I loathed his music!  I began really liking classical in my early teens but at first it was the accessible stuff- the orchestral warhorses, the Etudes of Chopin, bombastic organ stuff played by Fox, etc.  Minimalists and most "modern" stuff left me cold.  [The focal point of my loathing was actually Arnold Schoenberg but that's a topic for another post... :wink:]  If Glass was mentioned I couldn't help voicing my disdain.

I can't even recall exactly when my opinion began to change.  It was probably the score for the film Koyaanisqatsi that turned me.  What an epic, incredible work!  Slowly it began to sink in; when I first heard Glass I "wasn't ready" for him yet.

The reason I bring this up is on my way home tonite Facades came on the radio (Minnesota Public Radio, truly one of the greatest treasures in American life!).  I actually had to sit in my truck until the piece was finished!  It occurred to me that I owe Mr. Glass an apology! :lol: :thumb:

What artist or even genre did you initially not like or understand?

Oh, btw...I'd still rather have my fingernails pulled out than listen to anything by Gershwin, so there's still some proper snobbery in me! :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2015, 05:49 pm by Rob Babcock »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: When I first heard _____________ I wasn't ready...
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:27 am »
The first time I listen Ligeti I was shocked.
It was in the 2001-Kubric, I was shocked again when I listen his famous BIS CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Dbl-Sf-Polyphony-Contin/dp/B000027FB7/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421666375&sr=1-9&keywords=LIGETI+bis
The track 5 for clavecin solo was overhelming played, more than prestissimo.
Ligeti indication was to play under 4 minutes(faster than prestissimo).
On YT there is classical players taking more than 5 minutes to play this piece in a keyboard.

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:44 pm »
Ha! Philip Glass was the first one who popped into my head when I read your subject line! Funny coincidence.

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2015, 02:23 pm »
I had just signed up to sing with the Washington DC Paul Hill Chorale in about 1983. I had sung only with small church groups and in the West Point Glee club and had trepidations about singing with a major chorus that sang regularly in the Kennedy Center. My fears were not eased when I learned that the first piece I would be engaged in was Ned Rorem's An American Oratorio followed shortly by John Adams's Harmonium. (Paul was very fond of modern music.) Hated both at first, but came to truly love them.  Charles Ives, Fourth Symphony, ... shouted down a catcaller by yelling: "Stop being such a God-damned sissy! Why can't you stand up before fine strong music like this and use your ears like a man?" Good advice. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2015, 03:27 pm »
I want to talk about artists/composers that you weren't "ready for" or didn't understand the first time around but now like.  I'm not talking about a single piece or song that you didn't like that later grew on you but rather artists that you had to grow into.

I will start since it was my whole point in posting! :lol:  I'm hear to sing the praises of Philip Glass.  To be completely honest for many years I loathed his music!  I began really liking classical in my early teens but at first it was the accessible stuff- the orchestral warhorses, the Etudes of Chopin, bombastic organ stuff played by Fox, etc.  Minimalists and most "modern" stuff left me cold.  [The focal point of my loathing was actually Arnold Schoenberg but that's a topic for another post... :wink:]  If Glass was mentioned I couldn't help voicing my disdain.

I can't even recall exactly when my opinion began to change.  It was probably the score for the film Koyaanisqatsi that turned me.  What an epic, incredible work!  Slowly it began to sink in; when I first heard Glass I "wasn't ready" for him yet.

The reason I bring this up is on my way home tonite Facades came on the radio (Minnesota Public Radio, truly one of the greatest treasures in American life!).  I actually had to sit in my truck until the piece was finished!  It occurred to me that I owe Mr. Glass an apology! :lol: :thumb:

What artist or even genre did you initially not like or understand?

Oh, btw...I'd still rather have my fingernails pulled out than listen to anything by Gershwin, so there's still some proper snobbery in me! :icon_twisted:
That's what I'm talkin about!  Stories.  Thank you, Rob.  And fellow contributors, ladies and gents . . more, please.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:05 pm »
Eva Cassidy. There has not been another singer like her. To me, she was the best. Look up her story on ABC news that aired a few years ago. It can be found on youtube. Although she was not considered a classical music singer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:09 pm »
Great story, Rob! 

For me it was Bartok - I just couldn't get into his particular brand of overheated emotional intensity.  I had to come to him through Shostakovich.  Once I was able to listen to and appreciate the Russian composer, I had a foundation to then turn to Bartok.  Plus, it was one of my first forays into the idea that music isn't just about making you happy or sad or feel awe, but could be a mechanism to express anxiety.  In that way, I feel both men were great at capturing that "Age of Anxiety" that the 20th century represented. 

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:36 pm »
For me, it's Gustav Mahler, hands down.   If ever there was an "acquired taste", it's Mahler.  When I was first exposed to his music, I was taken aback.  He is almost the opposite of Mozart from an emotional standpoint.  Over time, I learned to enjoy some of his music. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:37 pm »
Shostakovich for me.  Just couldn't get it until 4-5 years back.  Still can't listen to Bartok regardless how many time I try. 

Carl V

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2015, 09:49 pm »
Ha! Philip Glass was the first one who popped into my head when I read your subject line! Funny coincidence.

A close second would be Bartok.

and to be frank...Franck (cesar)  I am still a bit on the fence.

If I 'have' to put on my thinking cap & go back to my musicology course mindset I come up wanting
and not wanton.

Hanson is a modern composer who appeals much more.
Altho' as a person he hold very limited appeal.

“...every note he fashions is a
pearl …the joy, brilliance and
musicality of his performance
could not be missed.”
-New York Times

Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 5

10 JAN 2015
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, piano

Mozart: Serenade in G major ("Eine kleine Nachtmusik")
Hanson: Symphony No. 2 ("Romantic")
Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 5

Program Notes

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm »
I, too, like Hanson's 2nd.  Believe the one I own is on the Mercury Living Presence label and does justice to what sounds like a huge chorus.

Randy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:35 am »
Shostakovich for me.  Just couldn't get it until 4-5 years back.  Still can't listen to Bartok regardless how many time I try.

I can't believe you and the others who say they can't bear Bartok have heard his Concerto for Orchestra and can still say that. It's one of the greatest works of the entire century.

I first heard it watching an Ernie Kovacs show in the early 1960s. It played in the background (Kovacs loved the piece) as a scene (not comedic) was acted out, no dialog. It was just the music with a street scene at night. I was mesmerized by the music. I was about twelve years old at the time. I got the Bernstein recording and wore the Lp down to the nub playing it over and over again.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:26 am »
Just listened to Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra .... still no connection :scratch:.  I may try again in five years. 

Randy

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2015, 11:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXHgqkc5uY

Much to my surprise I found that clip at You Tube. All I remembered was the music and for the visuals, the guy standing under the streetlamp. None of the rest of it, much less the babes and the cat.

As far as Bartok goes, string quartets, piano concertos - all considered 20th century masterpieces. I guess people can't like everything.

Randy

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2015, 11:30 pm »
I can hear the yawning from here.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2015, 01:22 am »
Interesting video. I can hear why you were drawn to it.  With a visual, the Bartok works for me- sort of a dark soundtrack.
Perhaps when I'm 65 I'll have a Bartok epiphany. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2015, 04:27 am »
Just to bring this back around full circle I've been on a serious Philip Glass bender lately! :thumb:  I bought the CD recordings of all three works in the Qatsi cycle, plus a disc of Glass playing his own solo piano works (Mad Rush and others).  I think I've listened to Naqoyqatsi once per day for the entire last week. :oops:  It's even got me to buy a few Steve Reich works.

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2015, 04:53 am »
I've done quite a bit of listening on youtube as a result of this thread. I have to agree that Glass seems to have more appeal to me this time around... picked up a cd of his.  Bartok? Crumb? still can't get into it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2015, 07:23 am »
YT is really excellent for music. The sound quality isn't the best but it's not terrible...certainly good enough to see if you like something.  I've bought a number of CDs after first hearing them on YT.

simoon

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2015, 01:28 am »
I have a different experience than most.

I came to classical from listening to progressive music. But mostly the avant-garde progressive bands, like: Henry Cow, Universe Zero, Aranis, Thinking Plague, Motor Totomist Guild, Magma, and the like. These bands are heavily influenced by composers of the 20th century, especially the mid century and later.

So, when I started listening to classical, the composers that are considered the heavy hitters,  Beethoven, Bach, Mahler, Chopin, Mozart don't really do that much for me.

Give me Stravinsky, Bartok, Carter, Ligeti, Penderecki, Schoenberg, Weber, Wuorinin, etc!