Looking for a bold, dynamic DAC assembled/kit

1UP

« on: 26 May 2005, 12:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for a (not too expensive) DAC that sounds bold/detailed/dynamic - I guess, the PRaT thing.  Any kits/assembled units I should be looking at?

Also, do all the NOS DACs out there at the moment have a similar sound?  I've read they are smooth but laid-back.

I'm not really looking for a laidback sound, myself.

BobM

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 02:57 pm »
Stay away from the NOS DAC's then. Lots of kits out there and great value for the money, but they just don't have that flat earth PRAT thing down. Better for simpler and "pretty" music than for bouncing around the room.

The modded ART DI/O has damn fine dynamics, good PRAT and excellent detail and soundstaging. You can find many for re-sale for about $200-300.

Then there's also the used NAIM marketplace.

Enjoy,
Bob

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2005, 06:39 pm »
I use the M-Audio SuperDac 2496 to convert the digital PCM signal from a directv HDTV satellite receiver.  It has switchable inputs for fiber, coax and XLR, will output to 1/4 " or XLR but adapters are available.  Musicians Friend has them w/ free shipping for $200 here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/701372/
It sounds a ton better with a better power supply.  A 9V AC 3.4 amp wallwart by Atari is available for less than $4 from Hosfelt Electronics, you can Google them.  
I use cheap 1/2" adapters from Rat Shack, give it time to burn in and it sounds quite nice.
There is a yahoo group about this DAC and Wayne @ Bolder Cables has modded one and turned me onto it.

1UP

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 07:30 pm »
I just picked up a stock Superdac, so hopefully I will be sorted and start modding it if not.  Cheers.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2005, 08:21 pm »
Actually, the tda1543 nos implementation, like the nonoz or dddac1543, are supposedly aggressive nos dacs.

boead

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2005, 12:30 pm »
A used California Audio Labs DAC. Either an Alpha or a Sigma-II 24/96.