NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon

syzygetic

NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon
« on: 22 Nov 2015, 02:35 pm »
Ok, so there are plenty of posts here about DIY ncore, and plenty of posts specifically about grounding nampon, which appears to have confused many people.

Unfortunately, I fit in a slightly different category than any of the posts have dealt with thus far:

I have assembled the nCore 400 / SMPS600 module (two monoblocks), and I grounded the nampon on the XLR connector, which is a ground effectively off the IEC connection to household earth.

The monoblocks work, and work very, very well. This is indeed a superlative amp.

Unfortunately, they also cut out momentarily whenever I plug anything else into an outlet on the same circuit. Playing music and you plug in an HDMI port on the TV? Muted for 2sec. Playing music and you turn on another amp on the same preamp? Muted for 2sec.

The fact that it's a really clean mute, and only very transient, points to nampon ground being funky, since that handles the muting.

Is this something anybody else encountered? Maybe I need to isolate the ncore ground somehow?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2015, 10:32 am »
Ok, so there are plenty of posts here about DIY ncore, and plenty of posts specifically about grounding nampon, which appears to have confused many people.

Unfortunately, I fit in a slightly different category than any of the posts have dealt with thus far:

I have assembled the nCore 400 / SMPS600 module (two monoblocks), and I grounded the nampon on the XLR connector, which is a ground effectively off the IEC connection to household earth.

The monoblocks work, and work very, very well. This is indeed a superlative amp.

Unfortunately, they also cut out momentarily whenever I plug anything else into an outlet on the same circuit. Playing music and you plug in an HDMI port on the TV? Muted for 2sec. Playing music and you turn on another amp on the same preamp? Muted for 2sec.

The fact that it's a really clean mute, and only very transient, points to nampon ground being funky, since that handles the muting.

Is this something anybody else encountered? Maybe I need to isolate the ncore ground somehow?
You're on a different company's board....  Digital Amp Co makes Cherry Amplifiers (Classic, Maraschino, MINT) and related products (DAC DAC, Speaker Snakes).  You should hear the Maraschino if you like the sound of high power and really low noise/distortion.  We engineer our circuits to eliminate the harshness that's associated with other Class-D amplifier designs.  We don't do DIY, however, only finished product.  This helps avoid the type of problem you seem to be having.  Good luck with your endeavors either way.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

p.s. "nampon"?  Not touching that one with a 10 foot pole (:

syzygetic

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2015, 06:12 pm »
Thanks for setting me straight... sorry!

I'll check out your products; sound cool!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:42 pm »
Thanks for setting me straight... sorry!

I'll check out your products; sound cool!
OK, thanks!

If you sign up for our newsletter, you will be informed of our upcoming Kickstarter and an opportunity to "beat the crowd":
http://bit.ly/1G8bsxZ