Danny & All - what do you think about the design?

Badd99

https://youtu.be/rVmJCAE0D2M

Curious Danny and everyone's thoughts on the parts here and the seperate Wilson like adjustment. If your speskers have a great vertical off axis, is there a point?

I wish they tried the vcap ODAM... Killer cap, especially with a duelund pure silver bypass.

mkrawcz

Re: Danny & All - what do you think about the design?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2023, 08:58 pm »
I’ve been playing around with the Jantzen Zcaps like the ones in the CSS Audios and they are pretty impressive. I would put them up their with the VCAPs. The Jantzens are a touch more on the neutral side.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2023, 09:43 pm »
I like Jantzen better than Vcap ODAMs.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2023, 11:43 pm »
Personally, I'm not that keen on the VCap ODAM.
Especially in Danny's system, where they sound kind of gritty and clinical.

There are things the ODAMs do really well in my personal system, (depth, layering and separation) but compared to my Miflex caps, they just aren't as wide, rich or musical, imo, and the silver bypass adds just a little too much of an edge for my taste. Ill probably end up swapping it out for some Miflex or Duelund JDM Copper caps instead, just help soften that edge.

They're not bad, by any means, just not to my tastes.

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2023, 11:56 pm »

Ill probably end up swapping it out for some Miflex or Duelund JDM Copper caps instead, just help soften that edge.
I have the Duelund JDM copper caps in my LGK 2.1 and they are really smooth. The tinned copper ones are smooth as well in the Sony CS5.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2023, 01:46 am »
These different perspectives are interesting.  On my Super 7 tweeters I have a sonicap bypassed with both Miflex and ODAM.  The combo was a little weird sounding at first but after a week of running white, pink, and brown noise they all settled down and now sound clear, detailed and still very smooth. 

Badd99

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2023, 02:20 am »
I like Jantzen better than Vcap ODAMs.

I found the real magic was the vcap odam with pure silver bypass. I'm interested to try it with pure copper bypass duelund but haven't yet. On my basically all swapped out caps nx otica the tweeter vcap odam and pure silver duelund bypass was orgasmic with path audio resistors, all foil inductors, and I wired the entire crossover and to each mid driver and tweeter with the 8tc with a rope core. Talk about work stripping wires!!

I tried of songicap mid bundle with miflex, vcap odam 0.1, and then a whim of 0.1 odam and 0.01 silver duelund on the large songicap bundle and that was stunning sound stage.

I want to try the tinned duelund but the cost is nuts.

Badd99

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2023, 02:26 am »
I found the real magic was the vcap odam with pure silver bypass. I'm interested to try it with pure copper bypass duelund but haven't yet. On my basically all swapped out caps nx otica the tweeter vcap odam and pure silver duelund bypass was orgasmic with path audio resistors, all foil inductors, and I wired the entire crossover and to each mid driver and tweeter with the 8tc with a rope core. Talk about work stripping wires!!

I tried the large bundle of sonic caps for the otica mids with miflex 0.1, vcap odam 0.1, and then on a whim I tried 0.1 odam and 0.01 silver duelund on the large songicap bundle and that was a stunning sound stage. Massive.

I want to try the tinned duelund but the cost is nuts.

Badd99

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2023, 02:27 am »
I’ve been playing around with the Jantzen Zcaps like the ones in the CSS Audios and they are pretty impressive. I would put them up their with the VCAPs. The Jantzens are a touch more on the neutral side.

I felt the vcap was quite neutral, what are your thoughts?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2023, 09:01 am »
According to Floyd Toole (noted audiologist) bass is best produced in corners or mid way along each of 4 walls.  Tweeters/midrange drivers are best located at ear height at least 3 feet from all walls and further from the front wall.  So a tower loudspeaker (that's height cannot be adjusted) is not ideal.  Tweeter and midrange driver do not appear to be aligned vertically. Towers are hard to resell/ship.  In fact the 3-way active monitors shown in the speaker's setup is better in many regards. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2023, 01:36 pm »
The biggest issues I see here are:
1) The mid-woofer is too large and there will be an off-axis response (directivity) issue around 1.5KHz-2.5KHz or wherever it's crossed to the tweeter.
2) I haven't seen any measurements of the speaker so we don't really know how it performs.
3) Jay talks a lot about speakers but does he really understand the intricacies of speaker design?
4) The ability to change the directivity of the mid and tweeter is cool and all but it won't fix the directivity issue.

I love the CSS stuff and I am currently building a box with that same tweeter.  It's very transparent and low distortion so I would say that this speaker probably sounds pretty good in many ways.

maty

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2023, 02:38 pm »
CSS Typhon frequency response
https://www.css-audio.com/typhon-tilt-mechanism

[ Crossover: 3-way 230 Hz / 2400 Hz ]

But... about 1600 Hz?

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2023, 03:32 pm »
The axis tilt is a marketing gimmick. You can change the axis of any speaker with shims, wedges or adjustable footers.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2023, 01:51 pm »
My concern is more about the off-axis response and what it will do in the room since the mid woofer might be narrowing before it crosses to the tweeter.  It might also be fine. 

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2023, 02:01 pm »
The axis tilt is a marketing gimmick. You can change the axis of any speaker with shims, wedges or adjustable footers.

Mr.Early B, you beat me to it.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2023, 02:36 pm »
You can change the axis by leaning back.  :P

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2023, 06:55 pm »

Focal also tilts some of their speakers forward.  It may be a gimmick but it appears to work.  Vienna Acoustics also has a tweeter module that you can turn.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2023, 01:42 am »
I think you guys know this, but the tilted tweeter axis has to do with where the drivers sum.  It's not necessarily a gimmick since the frequency response can change depending on where you are in relation to the mid and tweeter.  It's a matter of where they sum better.  According to CSS, they designed the crossover for it to sum below the tweeter axis.  They call it the "listening axis".  So, if I were to buy these speakers, I would definitely play with the tilt to "see" what sounds better.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2023, 09:20 pm »

Early B is not that far off the mark with this one.

I had their CSS 1TDX in for an upgrade, and I did measure it with the factory crossover. It had very good vertical off axis response. I measured it from 1 meter away and went up 4" per measurement up to 12" over the tweeter axis. Like our X-LS Encore it had a low crossover point and it maintained very good time arrival (phase response) of the drivers over a wide range, including dropping down to woofer axis. It was not as good going down as that moved time arrival in the direction of being more out of phase, but it was still good over a wide range.

So adding a few degrees of tilt isn't going to make more than just a few degrees of phase rotation at the listening position. That really isn't going to amount to anything.

Wigand

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2023, 02:06 pm »
Did you come up with and upgrade in xo design Danny?