XBOX 360 makes lines appear in a friends HD TV, anyone know the cause?

gooberdude

A friend has a Phillips HDTV and XBOX 360...he's had XBOX & PS2 on the same TV with no issues.

The TV picture is fine when watching TV or a DVD, but when the 360 is on there are little horizontal lines that fly across the screen from bottom to top if i recall.   The 360 operates fine, but the lines get annoying after a while.

On the same electrical circuit he has a stand-up arcade game, so i figured unplugging it might
rectify the problem, but it doesn't.   Other than the arcade game there's a cable box, DVD player and a Pioneer HT receiver plugged into that circuit...along with the TV.

has anyone experienced this before??    is there a solution?

His apt is in a 120 yr old 'gut-rehabbed' 3 flat, but he has copper wiring and a new breaker box.  i believe the circuit is 20 amp.

bubba966

Try unplugging the cable from the cable box.

gooberdude

thanks...i will pass the that on.

if that is the cure, is there some sort of filter he needs to purchase
to go between the coax and the cable tv box?

Woodsea

Has he downloaded the new patch thru Live?  Also, some tv's have had a problem with resolutions with the 360 HD output.  Try doing a google search on this as well.  This is not a one time problem.  I had no problem with my HD output thru Component while projecting it thru my AE700.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Have him try each of his XBox 360 output resolutions from lowest to highest, to see which one(s) are causing the lines. His TV could be defective, or the XBox could be defective, or the TV may not be able to handle a certain resolution.

For example 1080i or 1080p may not be possible on his TV.

"HDTV" can mean different things to different salesmen and advertisers. So we have HD and "true" HD...

jqp

• Volunteer
Did you ever figure this one out?

gooberdude

Hey JQP,

I'll find out this weekend.    I told my friend the excellent suggetions, but more than likely
no steps were taken.

thanks for the follow-up though, i'm curious to know also.   

If you've ever stared at a tv screen when the channel goes down and there's just snow....occasionally in the snow you'll see horiz lines running bottom-to-top every 5 seconds or so.  that's exactly what's occurring, but with the TV picture operating normally.

when i told him about changing to difft outputs, he exclaimed " i think it did it automatically, i don't know how to change that"   so, this may just be an installation issue too.

i'll post back when i find something, thanks again.

matt

jqp

• Volunteer
Those lines come from synch problems at certain resolutions just like on a PC.

In the XBox 360 Dashboard, system settings menu, you can go through the different resolutions, and it will test them for you just like in Windows.