Hi there, call me Hobbs!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Hi there, call me Hobbs!
« on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:40 am »
Hey there everyone! A pleasure to meet you all!
I finally decided to make myself an account after watching the Danny's Tech talks on New Record Day.
I've been slowly getting into hi-fi over the last 2 years or so, but especially in the last 6-months. I mostly started a $40 Logitech Z4 I've had since maybe early highschool? Last year I finally got around to upgrading to a pair of active studio monitors, and despite their hiss from the integrated amp, they sound amazing. I also have a Massdrop O2 DAC/amp paired with Sennheiser HD 6XX. Not the highest quality, but leagues above what junk I used to listen on!

Definitely excited to start learning and expand my knowledge and skills by being here!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi there, call me Hobbs!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:45 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:48 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:11 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Hobbs   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:07 pm »
Welcome!

What integrated and active monitors are you listening to?  I trust you're running the actives off of preamp outputs.  Is the hiss coming from both speakers?  Is the hiss noticeable during normal listening levels?

I've had a couple active monitors (Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 and JBL 708P) and heard others (most notably JBL 305 originals and Mk2).  None had a hiss, but used them mid/far-field. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:59 pm »
Welcome!

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2020, 01:15 pm »
Welcome.

If you are plugging each monitor in a different outlet across the room, you will get a buzz because that kind of hookup picks up radio frequencies. (Or something like that...)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2020, 08:53 pm »
Welcome!

What integrated and active monitors are you listening to?  I trust you're running the actives off of preamp outputs.  Is the hiss coming from both speakers?  Is the hiss noticeable during normal listening levels?

I've had a couple active monitors (Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 and JBL 708P) and heard others (most notably JBL 305 originals and Mk2).  None had a hiss, but used them mid/far-field.

Thanks!
I have a pair of Samson Resolve RXA5 momitors, they are hooked up direct to the output of my Massdrop/Grace Design ODAC/AMP using the analog outs, bypassing the internal amp. They are also turned to 9-o-clock on the volume knob. (about level 3) (I don't have this same issue when listening via headphones thru the DAC/Amp)

The hiss comes from both speakers equally. Its not loud except when powered on, but it quiets down to just above the noise floor of my room, and is only noticable when they're idle and im sitting in front of them (about 3 feet away)
They're also conneted to my DAC with RCA to 1/4" cables, but still hiss even when not connected to anything but power.

The review I saw said that their samples also had a similar issue.
I currently have them running on a Furman power conditioner, which has helped, but only marginally, tbh.

Hopefully that gives some better explanation that will help understand the issue. Tho im guessing its just the cheap internal amp components.