Audio Prism Ground Control on the Unifield 3

mikeg1

Audio Prism Ground Control on the Unifield 3
« on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:04 pm »
I received the Reference version of the Audio Prism Ground Control recently and I wanted to give my impressions of its performance.  See the Audio Prism website and the Steve Marsh Feb. 2010 review on 6moons for a description and photo of the device.

I used Robert Plant and Alison Krauss Raising Sand and Diana Krall Quiet Nights to evaluate the GC in my VSA/Ayon Audio system.  I attached the spade of the GC to the negative binding post on the midrange/tweeter modules on the Unifield 3 and allowed the device to break-in for an hour.

The first thing I noticed was a greater transparency throughout the entire frequency range without changing the balance.  On various cuts of Quiet Nights, there was greater pitch definition in the mid/lower bass response which could be murky on this recording without the CG.  On both recordings, the voices of both Diana and Alison had greater body, presence, and sweetness.  Instruments in the mix took on a more natural tone also.

I thought the holographic imaging of the Unifield 3 could not be improved upon but with the GC, the imaging, bloom and focus increased considerably.  I haven’t tried any single tweak that has had this type impact on my system.  I think the GC will one of the best new tweaks for 2010.

stong

Re: Audio Prism Ground Control on the Unifield 3
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:57 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Maybe in the near future,when I need some "new sound" from my VR4 SR3 I would give a try . Wondering how this things works..........? And it is not expensive either and simple looking cable.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2010, 04:15 pm »
current review at www.stereotimes.com from Clemont Perry... 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:10 pm »
I've had early prototypes of these in my system for nearly 2 years now... an hour might not be sufficient for them to "charge" up. The big thing i noticed was a greater impunity to blunting the tops of dynamic swings.

dave

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm »
Those lil' pigtails could take eons to do there thing.  They may be the real deal but their "white paper" is right up there with mpingo discs and tice clocks.  :lol:  Not meant to offend gentlemen, just another one of my lame attempts at humor....are they laughing?

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:45 am »
es347, I followed Stereophile Sam's advice yrs ago,, a simple Radio Shack digital clock produced the same "magic" as the Tice clock.. Think I still have the clock around here somewhere, perhaps the spare bedroom bedside table.   Everytime I reach for a bottle of "Armour All" I think about the time spent spraying my CD collection down on recommendation and using a variety of wipes, pads, brushes to clean..  The green pen from Stoplight, the Stable Platter for my then Philips CDP..  Assorted pucks, spikes, cones, cable elevators, vibropods, footers, springs, stones, racks, coins strategically placed, racks, interconnects and speaker cables,,,.  Did I mention pwr cords, and pwr conditioners to screen out my "dirty" electricity and tamming those nasty radical electrons.  Good thing the Bybee "bullets" used on my VR5 bi-spkr terminals had a "money back if not completely satisfied" label (man they were expensive,, thx Jack).  My Acoustic Resonators come with metal cups made of copper, silver gold and platnium and I swear they're MONEY!

My "12-Step" program has worked...  I admit I am powerless over Audio tweeks and hype.. My name is Jack, and I'm an addict.  Now, how much are those pigtails? 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:17 pm »
The last pair of pigtails that fascinated me were in grade school.  Are the ones from Audio Prism also braided?  :lol:

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:32 pm »
I hear ya es... The most effective "tweek" ever tho was performed by my family practice doc a few yrs ago...  Ear wash irrigation to remove wax... Cheaper too!  Problem was,, I could hear my "then" wife complain about my audio neurosis.  Oh well,, life's full of trade-offs..

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:32 pm »
Those look like the pigtails that Bud Purvine makes and has added to drivers.  Is he associated with this product as well?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:50 pm »
Henry,

They are the commercial version. Bud says they are an improved version from what i got with him a long whille ago.

dave

ohenry

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2010, 09:01 pm »
Henry,

They are the commercial version. Bud says they are an improved version from what i got with him a long whille ago.

dave

Thanks Dave,
Bud's tweaks make good things happen.  I have some drivers he EnABLed that came with the pigtails.  They sound great, but I haven't heard the impact of the pigtails since they were already soldered on. 

I guess I'll leave it be and enjoy.   :D

Delacroix

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:46 am »
Anyone else try these on a pair of VSA speakers?

Delacroix

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm »
Not the Audio Prisms, but several of us recently tried the similar  EVS Ground Enhancers on our speakers, including my VR5s. The results are in the latest issue of HiFi'Zine: http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/evs-ground-enhancers-a-collective-exploration-of-a-tweak/

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2011, 02:31 pm »
..localized ground storage....uh, OK.  Not unlike Demosthenes and convincing himself to believe his magic pebbles improved his oratory skills, as long as you believe these things work, they will.  You may also be interested in some of Geoff Kait's offerings:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

disclaimer: not responsible if heads explode after visiting above site

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:02 pm »
The EVS Ground Enhancers work great on VR2's with Van Alstine electronics. I believe that if you "hear" an improvement then there really is one... even if there isn't.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.166-7), Hamlet to Horatio

Wayne

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:48 pm »
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland

whie4x

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2011, 06:07 pm »
Hiya,

I've actually bought the GC for my previous pair of speakers. Had them stashed in a drawer since i acquired the VR-35. Thanks to this thread, i've plugged them in. I have to agree with mikeg1's findings...

One question, ever thought of getting another pair to place them on the bass modules? :-)

Cheers

rlw3

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:26 pm »
Could Albert please comment on these devices, why they work, why his designs dont have this type of topography. This is a strange hobby

thebearded1

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2011, 01:35 am »
This chain reminds me of when my wife changed our house mayonnaise to low fat and when I ate my sandwich listening to Coltrane I noticed a thinness in the upper bass.....God bless those who can hear this stuff...I wish I could as I love getting new tweaks and gear,but ground enhancers, really?  I'll go with real mayonnaise. Cheers :green: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm »
The Mayo tweak....yeah I've about that one.  Apparently the higher fat content adds heft to the mid bass and the listener's mid line.  Make mine Hellmans  :thumb: