VSA Unifield 3 and VSA cables: A Sonic Masterpiece

mikeg1

VSA Unifield 3 and VSA cables: A Sonic Masterpiece
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:21 pm »
I received my Unifield 3s back in October.  Over the course of a few months, I changed my entire system from Spectron Musician MKIII SE, TacT 2.2x modded, and Escalante Pinyons monitors and Uinta subwoofers to the Unifield 3s, Ayon Audio Triton integrated amp and Ayon Audio CD-2.  The only thing I didn’t change was my existing thin ribbon copper cables.

I started by filled the VSA stands with Star Sound Tech Micro-bearing Conductive Steel Fill which really added mass to the stock stands.  Since I wanted to eliminate the two subwoofers I removed all Dacron fill (a little at a time at first).  I positioned my Uni3s in the same location as my Pinyons (1.5" of toe-in and 20” from the back wall as measured from the rear of the bass module).  As time went on, the new speakers and electronics started to break-in, and I noticed the sound became bright and thin.  Vocals had a harshness/edge ... I couldn't listen to some of my favorite music.  I later changed my outlets and faceplates to Oyaide R1 and WPC-Z which made things worst.  After some experimentation with cables, outlets, speaker placement, reading posts on this forum and consulting with Jack D201, Ceedee, and finally Albert, I have my system performing at levels I never thought possible.  Here’s what worked for me: zero speaker toe-in, bass module 12” from back wall, .75" square hard oak footers between high/mid module and bass module, properly designed solid core copper wire based cables (VSA Signature speaker and interconnects), Mullard CV4003 input tubes on the Triton, triode mode on Triton, and Shunyata Research SR-Z1 outlets.  If I had to rate the changes, the VSA cables had the greatest impact in transforming my system.  These changes and the Uni3s have also allowed me to eliminate the two subwoofers without giving up much (except the deepest room vibrating bass).  I now have a more accurate, coherent and tighter bass response.

The combination of the VSA Unifield 3 and VSA cables has resulted in the most significant upgrade I have ever experienced over the past 25 years.  Thanks Albert.

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2010, 02:46 pm by mikeg1 »

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VSA Unifield 3 and VSA cables: A Sonic Masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:31 pm »
Another happy VSA camper.  Nice Mike! 

varsharun

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:10 pm »
Good Mike, another happy Unifield 3 camper! What stand is that which supports the 100 lb Triton? Haven't seen such a heavy amp placed on a top shelf before.

What difference did you find in the sound with toe-in vs without? In my system, I found a little toe-in improved the focus of the imaging while still maintaining the huge soundstage.

How does the Triton compare to other tube integrateds in the market? Just wondering how they sound compared to the Primalunas and the Moscodes.

-Arun

mikeg1

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:55 pm »
Arun,

This is a copy of the Mapleshade Sampson rack.  The shelves are 2" thick maple and the threaded rods are 1" in diameter.  I had someone on Agon machine the collars and cut the rods and a local wood supply store cut and clue the maple block.

I do need to go back and try some toe-in now that the system is optimized. 

I don't have any experience with those tube amps in my system.  I once had two Golden Tube Audio SE40SEs 12 years back.  The Ayon has liquid midrange and does everything else right.  BTW - I have eight Shuguang Treasure KT88-Z power tubes on order to replace the Genalex reissues.  Being as sensitive as the Uni3 is to system changes I can't wait to hear these new tubes. 

Mike

thebearded1

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm »
so glad you are a u3 lover...i am too.  though i never found the u3s thin.....they were bright pre break-in...i left the grills on which helped a little and then aggressively broke them in for the first 200 hours....no more brightness at all......though i did make other tweaks in that time period such as going from stock mac tubes to ei and mullard on my amp and adding a shunyata conditioner/cable...but for my ears and listening room i attributed the disappearing brightness to the break in.......the grills also disappeared as well.   

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:49 am »
Great to hear you've got 'em down Mike  :thumb:  I've been curious about Ayon for some time now. We've been thinking of carrying them but haven't gotten a chance to hear them.

Oh Bearded1 this is a long time coming but I have to say that you have what is in my opinion THE BEST description of your room in all of AC. For those that haven't seen it. Look below........

Room description
room has a connecting bathroom and bar so I never really have to leave

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2010, 01:22 pm »
2nd only to the guy who has a catheter fitted to his listening chair... :lol:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:37 pm »

One could use a rocket-chair, live like a astron(a)ut and listnen to Bill Haley's Rock around the Clock :eyebrows:

thebearded1

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:57 am »
JackD201, thanks for the shout-out....total comfort is vital to full listening enjoyment..... being able to pour a fine pinot noir plus the ability to relieve one's self not too far from the sweet spot of a system both contribute significantly to this enjoyment!

es347, you have a very good point....i will look into this.

mikeg1

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2010, 03:02 pm »
Update on system ... I received the Shuguang Treasure KT88-Z power tubes for the Ayon Triton this week and they are scarey good with the Unifield 3.  The last bit of midrange grain is gone, even more layering front to back and a big step in deeper/tighter bass.  BTW - I have the AudioPrism Reference Ground Control for speakers coming next week.

Mike
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010, 04:29 pm by mikeg1 »