advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII

loh wai meng

advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:18 am »
Von Schweikert is a relatively unknown brand in Singapore.  Recently, I came across a dealer that had just started to bring in some VS models at a time when I'm looking for a new pair of speakers to replace my generally bass shy (but underwise very good) ATC-SCM 40s.  Other models which I am considering are the Thiels 3.7, the WP Sophia II, the Revel Studio IIs and Rockport Miras.

My first impression of the, admittedly not fully run-in, VR4-MkIII are fabulous Mids, Highs and Image Depth, but with excessive bloated Bass and short (lack of height) imaging.  The dealer assures me that the Bass would tighten up and the images would increase in height with its spikes in place + some time to run in.

Is this the experience of the owners of the VR4s?  He is supposed to call me when it does.

Also, am wondering whether anyone has experience with driving the VR4s with the Bel Canto's Ref100 MkIIs?  The dealer was driving it via Pass 30.5.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: advise for someone considering a VR4-MRIII
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:53 am »
Hello there in Singapore,

Good to read you are on the right track of the VSA's.

The match with the Belcanto is very nice and overall very musical.
The best way is to bring the Belcanto to your dealer and listen to the Vr 4 mk III when they are broken in a while more.

You will be surprised.

Enjoy

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:28 am »
I agree with Cor, they get much better with time. I'm currently burning in a pair using only an S300i and it sounds okay. They should sound much better with the Refs.

If ever you're in Manila, Look me up  :wink:

stong

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:25 pm »
Hi Loh,

Go for it!! I am driving the VR-4 SR Mark 3 with my Jadis Defy 7 since last Tuesday when it landed in this city/state. The same tube amp matches with my previous VR-4JR Mark 2 very well too.

My first disc is Eddie Higgins SACD "You Don't Know What Love is" which is my reference disc for piano and Dire Straits SACD"Brother In Arm". The music is so lively before it actually run-in.

As what Cor and Jack said, "You will be surprised and It get much better with time".

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:41 pm »
The VR4 SR MkIIIs have to be considered a "best buy" given how close in performance they are to the vaunted VR5 Anniversaries which cost an additional $12K.  It's a no-brainer gentlemen.

loh wai meng

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:59 am »
Thanks all for your comments.  Will post an update when I listen to the run-in VR4s with my ref1000s.

I do hope the Bass tightens and the height increases as I was quite impressed with the mid and the depth.

Tan Daniel

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm »
Hi Loh,

If you are interested in trying the new VR-33 , do give me a email. I'm in Malaysia. Many already feel it better the VR4jr. If you speak to Albert directly, he test his speakers with Pass Aleph amps also and they match well. Excellant bass which is tight and deep. I agree that VR speakers do need some time to break in before you get the best out of it.... atleast 500hrs.

Dan.

stong

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:29 am »
Thanks all for your comments.  Will post an update when I listen to the run-in VR4s with my ref1000s.

I do hope the Bass tightens and the height increases as I was quite impressed with the mid and the depth.

Hi Loh,

That Bel Canto Ref1000s has a high power base of 1000w at 4ohms.
As per the specification manual,it require 40 hours of continuous power-up for the power to be sonically stabilize. Does that means standby mode not included? I understand some Mac and power-amp require about 20 min on power up to reach its sonic level.

Do advise after you match it with the VR4 SR3. By the way, what is the Preamp you are using with Ref1000s?

Cheers

loh wai meng

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:24 am »
Ref1000 is a class D amp, so it runs cool.  Basically, the amp can be left powered up at all times.

I'm using an Aesthetix Calypso Signature Tube Pre, which I upgraded from Bel Cantos Pre-3.

I have an appointment with the dealer this Sunday.  Let you all know what I think on Monday.

loh wai meng

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:35 am »
Went back...

A couple of observations:-
a.   Love the mid, highs and soundstage
b.   Bass still boomy...
c.   Pass Labs amps are better of a match to it than my ref1000

am not sure now.  Worried that if I do purchase it, the Bass would overload my room and I'm stuck with it.  And if i do purchase it, will have to think about swapping my ref1000 for a Pass amp...

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:43 am »
Don't worrie about the bass,

This can be tuned in any room by simply stuffing more or less dacron through the vents.

Good luck.

Cor

Ambiance

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:17 am »
Went back...

A couple of observations:-
a.   Love the mid, highs and soundstage
b.   Bass still boomy...
c.   Pass Labs amps are better of a match to it than my ref1000

am not sure now.  Worried that if I do purchase it, the Bass would overload my room and I'm stuck with it.  And if i do purchase it, will have to think about swapping my ref1000 for a Pass amp...
Hi.

What type of flooring is in the shop, and where you`re pacing them?

They are very sensetive to positioning twoards the rear wall. And the flooring has a lot to do with the bass experience. Carpeting takes away some of the midbass bloom, as well as dampening feet on hard floors. The decron as Cor mentioned helps a bit as well both ways. There are many things to work with to integrate the speakers to your room and preference. The manual that comes with the speakers, has a good step by step prosedure to follow.
My hands on experience with Pass Labs, is that the VR4SR became a bit bass shy in my room, but the mids and highs where very well presented. I do not think bringing the amp to the shop is the way to check if the speakers are compatible. You should bring the speakers home with you!  ;)

Anyway, Good luck to you!

A

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:28 am »
Don't worrie about the bass,

This can be tuned in any room by simply stuffing more or less dacron through the vents.

Good luck.

Cor

Right as usual Cor. I should also add that it is much easier to do now. The present interior configuration gives access to each woofer's T-line tunnel through the ports. The nearest tunnel belongs to the lower woofers and the ones out back to the upper ones. For more or less midbass add or remove from the rear tunnels and for low bass the forward tunnels.

loh wai meng

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2010, 12:30 pm »
thanks all for your comments.  Would have love to have auditioned the speakers at my room to make up my mind.  No such luxury for me.

Will give it a little more thought... still considering between Sophia 2s, Miras and Thiel 3.7s...

let you all know in a bit.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2010, 06:43 am »
Hi Loh,

This depends of the distance often.
We always give our customers a free trial at home.
That 's the place the music should sound best.
Lucky for me Holland is a small country :wink:

You will miss the realism from all other brands.
If this is what you are looking for, go for the VSA.

Good luck.

Cor

loh wai meng

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:20 pm »
Singapore is a much much smaller place than Holland, possibly slightly bigger than greater amsterdam.  But I dont blame him, the speaker is bloody heavy, the brand is not so well known and so the dealer only has 1 demo pair.

Re-Listened to the sophias today, enjoyed it - vocals not as sweet as Vons, but everything else good with Bass extremely controled.

tomorrow would be re-listening to the Rockports and possibly the thiels.

McTwins

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:55 pm »
Hi loh wai meng..

You just can't go around to differen't dealers and listening to speakers and judge how they sound for the better or worse. Most of the dealers out there don't have good room acoustics to do a proper judgment. If it sound good at the dealer it will not sound good at your listening room and vice versa. I had some basshy issue with both of my VR4GenIII and VR4SR in my room but that was not the speakers that caused it, rather my room.

All of those speakers you have mentioned schould be listening in your room to do a proper judgment.
Thanks 

loh wai meng

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:03 am »
Thanks for all your help. Just to update all that i'm a proud owner of a vr4 mkiii. Also, bought the pass x350.5 as well.  Went there stuffed a towel in the port, bass tightened up - pure magic.

stong

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2010, 12:17 pm »
Hey Wai Meng,

Welcome on board!!....at least I'm not the only one owning the great VR-4 SR3 in this city/state.

"Icemen told Maverick,I'll make you my Wingman"....."Maverick reply, No!!, you will be mine".

Enjoy the music my friend !!! You will never turn back!!!

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2010, 12:19 pm »
Welcome aboard Wai Meng from your ASEAN neighbors in the Philippines!