Power cables and the paranormal..

McTwins

Re: Power cables and the paranormal..
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:57 pm »
I have a Lessloss cable.
It puts out the most bass of any cable I have had in my system(s).

Jeff

Hi
Please explain how.  :scratch:
Thanks

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:02 pm »
Is most bass also most music?

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:23 pm »
Since I started this thread I probably should close it out.  Bottom line is these Lessloss power cords do seem to make a positive difference when used to power the front end of a system.  I didn't try it on my TT as that seemed almost silly (what's it gonna do, make the platter motor sound better? :duh:) but on my sacd/cd player it did give vocals more weight and depth, taking off any slight edges that may have been there.  During the A/B process I tried to listen to specific high or low frequency parts of the recording but since our sonic memories tend to be woefully short, that effort was in vain.  So my comments regarding vocals were the only way I can describe what essentially is the indescribable, although that never seems to dissuade many of our esteemed audio "reviewers" from resorting the sonic-speak rhetoric: bloom, air, liquidity...ad nauseum.  I swore not to go there so hopefully my use of weight and depth didn't borrow from the over-used rhetoric.  I compared the Lessloss to the Shunyata Pythons and thought the results were virtually identical so I'd have to say that if one is considering either, the fact that the Lessloss is half the price of the Shunyata may have to enter into the purchase decision.  One other tidbit of info is that you seldom see a Lessloss PC in the Audiogon classifieds and I would have to assume that there a lots of their cables out there because they do advertise rather heavily.

One other point that could have influenced what I heard was the fact that my VR5 Anniversary speakers continue to break in and just recently they seem to have reached a sort of break in milestone with the soundstage expanding significantly.  The low end is more more pronounced now and it isn't my imagination, trust me.  But that aside, when I switched between my DIY power cords and the Lessloss and Shunyata there was a sonic difference however subtle.

If you are a skeptic about all this I can certainly understand as I have been one all along myself.  I am not trying to convert believers here, merely offering what I have experienced.  PC substitution should be considered one of the last tweaks in a system and probably only in systems capable of a high degree of resolution.  Most may find it subtle at best.

bentknee

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:33 pm »
   I'll add one more thing. I have tried a few different cables on the turntable motor and have heard the same tonal qualities as those cables on other components with two big exceptions. The original Shunyata Python with the emi reducing compound and the Taipan VX with the same compound. They both made a kind of whistle/screach sound when connected to the turntable. It was many months in between putting the two cables on the turntable so it was not that something else was the problem. As soon as I replaced the cables the problem was gone. I do not understand how a powercord can make such a difference on a turntable motor much less any other component and it doesn't seem like anyone else does. I will guess anyway. Could it be that the different wire and configuration slightly changes frequency and therefore the sound or tone. Gavin try the cables on the motor and see if you detect a difference. I also started as a powercord sceptic.

Blessings, Bob

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:25 pm »
Hi Bob,

Now that is strange!  This whole cable thing can induce migraines.  Thanks for the input.

Gavin

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2009, 05:49 pm »
I just completed another leg of the journey to audio nirvana.  Today I ran a dedicated 20A circuit to a two-gang box with Hubbell hospital grade duplexes.  Rather than pulling #12 romex I decided to go completely anal and use shielded wire.  Finding 600V insulated 12/2 w grd in a shielded cable is virtually impossible but I did find 12/3 shielded with red-blue-white conductors and a drain wire.  The blue conductor is serving as my ground and the red, my neutral.  I bonded the drain wire to the ground bus at the pb.  It went in without a hitch and my system is cooking in the background as I type this.  I have a Powerwedge 114 but I have run my monoblocks directly to one of the duplexes.  The other duplex is occupied by the Powerwedge and an Apple Airport.  I can't say that the heavens parted and so forth but may have some thoughts as things settle in.  I ran about 40 ft. of cable and with the cost of the duplexes and a 20A SP breaker, I spent about $75.

In my misguided youth I wired  a few houses to pick up a few extra bucks.  Funny...I don't remember pulling wire being so physical back then  :wink: