VR9 SE Isolation?

DanRobertson

VR9 SE Isolation?
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:08 pm »
Hello! This is my first post here. I have my VR9 SE's sitting on a suspended wood floor, and would like to isolate them from the floor to help decrease the bass coupling. Currently they are on the rollers as from the factory. Should I try placing spikes or Aurios under them, or just leave things as they are? Does anyone have any experience with placing these rather large speakers on spikes?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR9 SE Isolation?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm »
Jack...it's all your's :D

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2009, 12:54 am »
Hi Dan,

I have the VR-9SEs as well and Albert has voiced them with the factory casters. You may be able to add spikes to them and get a bit more bass, but you can accomplish the same thing by reaching around back of the speaker and turning the bass volume up a notch. The VR-9 SE is such an amazing speaker I would not sweat the caster versuses spikes concern. Just set back and enjoy one of the best, if not the best, speaker in the world.

Scott

Ps What gear do you have running your 9's?

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:04 am »
Hi Dan,

Our 9s are so heavy spikes and spike cups would probably sink into all but the hardest of woods. Sure to leave some sort of damage on the flooring anyhow. That same weight makes the 9s more stable and inert than most spiked speakers. Besides being as sensitive as they are to placement and set up due to the extreme amount of available resolution, imagine needing around 4 or 5 people just to move them around those crucial quarter inches. Like Scott said just reach out back and do some fiddling. You can try lowering the sub's crossover frequency, output and also try switching off the 25Hz boost. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes.

Have fun and welcome to the VSA Circle!

jack

DanRobertson

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:40 am »
Thanks for the help. My problem isn't so much not enough bass. I'm just looking to do everything I can to make it as controlled as possible. These speakers have a tendency to turn my floor into a passive radiator, muddying my bass. Perhaps it would be more beneficial to add supports underneath the floor to help dampen things?

My system consists of a Modwright LS36.5 feeding two Classe CA400 mono-bridged amps. Sources include a Shindo/Garrard 301 for vinyl, and a Technics RS1500/Bottlehead Repro tape pre for open reel.

I really appreciate your quick replies and knowledge!

Dan

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2009, 07:12 am »

Oh...I see. The manuals of the 4's and 5's recommend putting slabs of marble or granite in such situations. I also remember a review of SR Mk.2s where the reviewer actually reinforced his floor by building posts under the speaker positions in the floor below. How's that for a dedicated music lover!

I'm sure Albert would love to speak with you and help you out with good advice. He's great that way. Give him a ring. :)

mikel51

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:03 pm »
would some carpet underneath the speakers help?

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:19 pm »
I doubt it Mikel  :(

DanRobertson

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2009, 02:59 pm »

I also remember a review of SR Mk.2s where the reviewer actually reinforced his floor by building posts under the speaker positions in the floor below. How's that for a dedicated music lover!

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Do you recall if the reviewer fellt the results were beneficial?

Here's what I'm considering:
http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/products_screwjacks.html#SJ6

AB

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2009, 05:11 pm »
I had a similar problem with my speakers. They are not as large as the VR9 but they do weigh in at 215 pounds and they sit on a suspended wood floor above my garage. The floor vibrated and emphasized the lowest frequencies. This muddied up everything.

I doubled up the floor joists. Subtle improvement only.

I moved the speakers to a spot supported by a joist - rather than in between. This was too great a compromise in positioning. Whatever I gained from the added support I lost from an unideal speaker position re the room.

Finally I just started experimenting with different foams beneath the speakers. This did the trick. Setting the speakers on slabs of PE packing foam (the speaker's footers are still lightly in contact with the floor) isolated/decoupled them from the floor enough that the entire balance of the room changed for the better.

I tried around 4 different types of foam, closed cell, open cell, high density and low density. They all acted similarly but had different "life spans". Some foam would slowly compress and eventually allow the speaker to contact the floor.

I still have plans to try a gator board sandwich ala Symposium Platforms but for now things are working out so I am in no hurry.

« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2009, 03:07 am by AB »

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2009, 01:49 am »

I also remember a review of SR Mk.2s where the reviewer actually reinforced his floor by building posts under the speaker positions in the floor below. How's that for a dedicated music lover!

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Do you recall if the reviewer fellt the results were beneficial?

Here's what I'm considering:
http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/products_screwjacks.html#SJ6

According to the reviewer, yes it did. I think it was Rick Becker of enjoy the music. I'm trying to find the article.  Does anybody have it?

AB, I would never have thought of that. Very interesting and creative solution  :thumb:

Hyfi

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:03 pm »

Oh...I see. The manuals of the 4's and 5's recommend putting slabs of marble or granite in such situations.

I have done this with good results with other speakers. I did it first with an older pair of Mirage speakers and more recently with Dynaudio 82s. I place the granite slab on the carpet (could go on floor with something between to stop from scratching wood floor) then I use the spikes in bottom of speaker. Results were dramatic. I also use granite slabs under my JM Labs bookshelf speakers with similar results.

DanRobertson

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:16 am »
Okay, I've ordered my support jacks. When I get them installed I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks again,
Dan

DanRobertson

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2009, 12:05 am »
I've placed a jack supporting a 6 x 6 post under each speaker. There has been a significant change in the sound. The most obvious thing is a major improvement in the bass. The pitch of each note is now well defined, not lost in a mud of low end bass. The attack is also more pronounced, with a very nice increase in the feel of the bass. I'm not an expert in audio terminology, so I'm having trouble describing some of the improvements. Suffice it to say, I'm very happy with the results.

Dan

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2009, 02:02 am »
Congratulations Dan  :thumb:  I hope you can post pics of your system. Come to think of it, I think I'll start a thread for VR-9s. There are a few of us here but most just lurk. I've been in contact with them via PM. Maybe they'll come out and join actively.