New found respect for my VR 35's

gme109

New found respect for my VR 35's
« on: 28 Feb 2019, 02:39 pm »
Ever since I purchased my VR 35's I used jumpers instead of bi-wiring.  Not the factory ones, but what I thought were pretty high quality jumpers. One reason I stuck with using jumpers is because the manufacturer of the speaker cables I was using, MG Audio, says not to bi-wire with their speaker cables. Perhaps they meant not to bi-wire using two pairs of their cables, which I didn't. I found an older pair of heavy gage 6N Acrotec speaker cables I had sitting around, to connect to the lower binding posts and used the MG Audio cables for the top end...WOW!  Everything improved from top to bottom, and not just by a little. The soundstage expanded in all directions, and the music became more relaxed and coherent. I always felt like the bass was a little bloated and soft, no matter where I positioned the speakers. Not any more! I had no idea how incredible the bass really was on these speakers. The bass is now taut, with excellent pitch, definition, and bone rattling impact. I basically have a new pair of speakers now. Should've listened to Albert in the first place.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2019, 04:24 pm by gme109 »

Delacroix

Re: New found respect for my VR 35's
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:00 pm »
Amen brother. I always biwired after trying it several years back and have not gone back. A cable manufacturer I was buying from at the time also told me his jumpers were better than biwiring and initially I believed him (hey, who doesn't want to hear it when a manufacturer tells you there's no need to spend more?),  but once I got the opportunity to try full biwiring, I never looked back.  I think having had the experience of regular listening with the jumpers, you were much better able to notice the impact of biwiring so maybe the time was not wasted as much as a necessary part of familiarization :)

gme109

Re: New found respect for my VR 35's
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:24 pm »
Yes I lived with the jumpers for years, so the difference was immediate and obvious. This tweak/upgrade was on par with upgrading a component, or buying new speakers, and it was free!